Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Using MARINE Grade Gear Oil In Manual Transmission??

847 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  PSYCHOS03GT 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I know over the years there are MANY debates on "what is Best" for our manual gearboxes. With that said, the last post ive seen, was back on 2015.

I recently picked up an 01 GT Fed spec for dirt cheap, and the car is in pretty nice shape. Its got 125K on the clock, and was in DESPERATE need of a flush. I almost feel like its the original factory oil. Anyway, the car shifts fine ( to my surprise) its almost like not changing the fluid, vs putting in GL5 was a good thing... If that makes sense. Anyway, as we all know.. Its almost IMPOSSIBLE to find GL4 these days. So I picked up The Pennzoil syncromesh, but needed to thicken the blend. ( i live in south FL, and its extremely hot) So after researching various MSDS's on various gear oils, i decided to look at marine grade for the hell of it. To my surprise Quicksilver GEAR OIL sae 90 is stamped safe for GL4 application. Now, i know its marine grade, and after researching the additive packs, and not seeing any sign of sulfur, and smelling almost like pennzoil, i decided to try it out. (after flushing ) its been performing great for 2 days now, under severe heat conditions.. Has anyone ever tried this? Now before you all slay me. I did order Amsoil... just waiting for it to come in.

#5 ·
Yesterday marked 1500 miles on the gear oil test. I pulled a small amount out with my fluid ex-changer. Performance wise the car continues to shift well, with clean quick shifts. I do live in South FL though. So "cold" operation tests may not relate well to other areas, where the temps are MUCH cooler. Especially in Winter months.. With that said, cold operation shifts are acceptable. no grinds, but quick shift confidence is not there. once you drive about 3 to 5 mins, shes ready to rock.

#4 ·
Eclipse_This, thanks for your reply. Yes, I forgot to mention in my original post, that it does have "claimed" abilities to prevent water intrusion. So far, after 350 miles I'm quite pleased. I've noticed gear changes require less effort, they seem to fall right into place, with minimal effort. cold operation seems to have improved as well over time. Before the flush, and exchange, she didn't feel like quick shifting was as option. The gear box had that feel. Normal operation was ok, but I felt like if i wanted to go run the 1/4 mile, it had potential to grind... not the case any more! So far so good, and I'm going to stick the the M&M blend for now. LOL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.