Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
I violated Sam
10,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching but my search terms are too general. Here's the scenario... I just purchased a Sony BDP-N460 network blu ray player. The network functionality is great, but unfortunately the one major shortcoming is no built in wifi. I could go out and purchase a wireless bridge, but I'm a cheap ass and don't really want to spend $50-$120 on one. Right now I have my wireless router connected directly to it and my laptop running wirelessly which is fine, but my desktop is upstairs with no internet connection. I have my old linksys wireless router (from when I had cablevision) which is not a modem and *might* have a wired modem somewhere in my box o junk. Can either of those be used at the same time and in lieu of a bridge, since I already have them?

·
I violated Sam
10,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this the part you intended for me to read?

The most cost effective option is to use two routers that can be flashed with DDWRT. I use the Linksys WRT54G's because the stock firmware sucks. The reviews are horrible and you can get them really cheap. Newegg often has them on sale for $45 a piece with free shipping and you can get them used for less on ebay. Once you flash them with DDWRT they become very reliable and customizable.

You connect one to your modem and set it up like any other wireless router. The one being used in a remote location just needs to have "network bridge" selected in a drop down menu and you change a few ip addresses and you're done. Now the two routers interact as if they are one unit.

I currently have one router in a room with internet. My main desktop, server and several wireless devices are connected to that. The other router is hooked up to an xbox modded with media center. It works great. I use the xbox to wirelessly stream music,movies and games from the server. G has never given me any problems, even with larger HD videos and the wireless setup cost less than $100.

·
"I dunno" guy
2,555 Posts
I tried searching but my search terms are too general. Here's the scenario... I just purchased a Sony BDP-N460 network blu ray player. The network functionality is great, but unfortunately the one major shortcoming is no built in wifi. I could go out and purchase a wireless bridge, but I'm a cheap ass and don't really want to spend $50-$120 on one. Right now I have my wireless router connected directly to it and my laptop running wirelessly which is fine, but my desktop is upstairs with no internet connection. I have my old linksys wireless router (from when I had cablevision) which is not a modem and *might* have a wired modem somewhere in my box o junk. Can either of those be used at the same time and in lieu of a bridge, since I already have them?
If you can get wifi signal upstairs, then one of those USB wifi adapters would be the best thing to get. They're like $10 each these days.

·
I violated Sam
10,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you can get wifi signal upstairs, then one of those USB wifi adapters would be the best thing to get. They're like $10 each these days.
I don't think that would work. I'm not sure the Blu Ray player would interpret the signal as a network signal. Wait... Do you mean use it in the computer? That might work. Way to think outside the box!

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
I went with a router with DD-WRT because the little USB wifi dongle I had wasn't cutting it. Hacking that Linksys router is free, and if it doesn't work, you can plop down $20 on a USB wifi stick.

·
"I dunno" guy
2,555 Posts
I don't think that would work. I'm not sure the Blu Ray player would interpret the signal as a network signal. Wait... Do you mean use it in the computer? That might work. Way to think outside the box!
Yup, make the computers wireless and leave the router connected to the bluray player.

·
Um... Yeah!?
32,055 Posts
I dunno if that would be "outside the box" thinking, as that's probably the first thing I would try, and probably the simplest solution.

As they say in the programming world, "keep it simple [...]"

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,305 Posts
What kind of BR player do you have? Make/model? I've been shopping around for a network media player for my living room. I already have a wireless bridge setup there. I just need a media player that will play my movies that are shared on my PC in my bedroom.

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,305 Posts
Sal ... found another good deal on the router ($18) used. I just ordered another one for my parents house. It's the same one I bought and setup in my living room with DD-WRT as a repeater bridge.

Linksys T-MOBILE WRT54G-TM 32mb 802.11g Wireless Router - Cowboom Store
^ Under "Used", click "Best Available" and go to the last page. Buy the cheapest one with all the stuff included (all green check marks). Mine came out to $27.61

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,305 Posts
Marc - Do you have an XBOX 360? I use that as my media extender. Works fairly awesome.
No I don't. A lot of people were telling me about getting a PS3 for the same purpose. I didn't know the Xbox360 does the same thing. If that's the case I might just go ahead with the PS3 because it's also a Blueray player. I've been hesitant about getting a game console since I haven't even touched my PS2 in years. Thanks D.

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
No I don't. A lot of people were telling me about getting a PS3 for the same purpose. I didn't know the Xbox360 does the same thing. If that's the case I might just go ahead with the PS3 because it's also a Blueray player. I've been hesitant about getting a game console since I haven't even touched my PS2 in years. Thanks D.
I just recently (October maybe?) bought my Bluray player. It's a Pioneer, and it cost me $140. That was the magic number for me. I rent BD's from Netflix. I won't buy them. However, in the short time I've had it, I've had to update the firmware on it two or three times. Some discs literally won't play on it until you do. Not to mention the fact that it takes a good 3 or 4 minutes at times just to load a stinking disc. I wonder what people do who aren't savvy enough to seek out downloadable firmware and install it on their players do, as this isn't a Pioneer problem... So, that being said - should I have just shelled out $300 for a PS3 slim, which would update automatically, and has the power to load a BD just as fast as a DVD? Oh, it also plays games. Well, at this point, the $260 difference isn't negligible, but its still a tough call. If I didn't have the 360, I'd be all over the PS3.

·
Skee Ball Champion
1,880 Posts
I just recently (October maybe?) bought my Bluray player. It's a Pioneer, and it cost me $140. That was the magic number for me. I rent BD's from Netflix. I won't buy them. However, in the short time I've had it, I've had to update the firmware on it two or three times. Some discs literally won't play on it until you do. Not to mention the fact that it takes a good 3 or 4 minutes at times just to load a stinking disc. I wonder what people do who aren't savvy enough to seek out downloadable firmware and install it on their players do, as this isn't a Pioneer problem... So, that being said - should I have just shelled out $300 for a PS3 slim, which would update automatically, and has the power to load a BD just as fast as a DVD? Oh, it also plays games. Well, at this point, the $260 difference isn't negligible, but its still a tough call. If I didn't have the 360, I'd be all over the PS3.
I went with the ps3 over just a Bluray player and am glad I did. I've heard of people having problems with discs not playing and updates corrupting the system itself.

·
3.5L and Improving
184 Posts
If you do get one go whit ps3 I have the 360 don't get me wrong I love it. But it sucks not having a blue ray player plus the graphics on ps3 are better. And it sounds like your not much of a gamer so I would go whit that I'm looking at selling my xbox and getting a ps3. The only thing holding me back is all the games I have.:(

·
08/05/2008
5,624 Posts
$160 difference, not $260. :p

1 - 20 of 54 Posts