Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have 160k miles on my 2000 GT. I've had it since Jan 04, 2002 when I turned 17. I joined Club3G soon after that and have been lurking, learning ever since. I've even been to a couple of meets in the Chicago area way back when. It's always been my daily driver car. Ever since there's been rust spots at various places in the engine bay, cracks on the bumpers, dents on the rear quarter panels above the wheels, I've been neglecting show 'n shine. I always say, eventually when I have money and freedom, I'll begin replacing and fixing the busted stuff. I dream of having an engine bay like boostzealot. Also I loved :inlove: reading buddhalawton's thread about the 4.0 6G75 non-mivec swap.
I did a tune up at 100k miles. Now I'm doing another one. The problem is two years ago it had overheated a bunch of times before I could fix it driving home from work in the summer. And when I took off the lower intake manifold out of curiosity the other day, I could see the damage it caused. I have a small coolant leak in the left bank head. I have an O2 sensor code being thrown a lot. Probably from the fact that water is in the afr gumming up the works.
I haven't done in depth repairs on any cars before. I just do everything my car needs when it needs it. I'm not a mechanic.
This is where I defer to you, club members, for advice. Should I get a granite surface plate and do a small bit of lapping on the head myself, since the leak is small?
Also, I'm probably lapping the valves and maybe flex honing some stuff. Not that I've ever done any of this before. :squint: Don't call me an idiot. I have done a lot of research, just never experienced it before.
When I get parts for the heads, is it a good idea to change the head bolts, do a valve job (change the valve stem oil seals), anything else?
My incomplete list of parts: timing belt, water pump with gaskets and the two o-rings for the pipe, two pulleys, a tensioner, cam shaft o-rings, head gaskets, intake and exhaust manifold gaskets, thermostat housing gaskets, permatex nickel anti-seize on all the threads, small amount of permatex high tack on the all the gaskets to hold in place while assembling.

Is there anything else I'm missing? Any other suggestions, please, I'm welcoming all input.

I know how much everyone likes pictures. They aren't much but here y'all go...

More pictures to follow soon. :selfkill:

·
Registered
11 Posts
word of advice, when doing the gaskets make sure they are in correctly and you MUST follow TORQUE SPECS for each bolt because to much or to little will cause a leak. Also, I would be weary of honning and resurfacing anything if you have never done it or dont have the equipment. I suggest getting a buddy who know or if you really wanna go indepth in a rebuild you should get the engine blueprinted and batted. it will give you a great start point and the shop will shape and hone everything for you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been doing a lot of research. :coffee: Thanks to you Emu.

I looked up engine blueprinting, because honestly I've never heard of it. Eventually the topic led me to a Youtube channel helping me out a lot. Theres a guy who has a video series on blueprinting a 4g63 engine. Jafromobile I believe is his tag name. While the engine isn't the same as mine, obviously, it is a Mitsubishi, and his insights into my situation are priceless. After watching Jafro's video about a possible blown head gasket to his car's engine and his subsequent diagnosis, I reflected on my own car's condition, and I realized that I left my overflow tank bone dry after I installed a replacement radiator a year ago. My mistake was not knowing that it was important to fill up. :sweat:

It follows that it's possible for my coolant to be boiling inside the engine because the siphon tube in the reservoir is exposing the normally sealed system to air.

Per my new found knowledge, first I'm going to pressure check the coolant system and secondly, check the cylinder's pressures, third if it comes to this, have the repairs done to the head and/or block and change the head gasket.

All in all, I'm going to change the timing belt components with parts I'll get from the dealer. To me, buying inferior, albeit less expensive, gaskets leaves too much to chance. Chances are those aftermarket gaskets will be fine for, I assume, 95% of cars, but I plan on keeping my Eclipse for a long time if I can help it.

Blueprinting is on my to do list, but I can't afford it right now. Thanks for the tip Emu, and also Jafromobile if you ever see this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts