Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Ice Ice Baby
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I searched and didn't find anything that would truly answer this question, plus I didn't know whether to post this in here or the GT/GTS discussion, but how hard do you think would it be to swap a V8 motor and trans into our cars? Yea i know everyones reaction is going to be "No way you're gonna have to convert it to RWD, not worth the time or money," but what about a transverse V8, like the 5.3's that are in the Monte SS or the SHO motor? Any suggestions or opinions?

·
Generally Bitter Admin
28,432 Posts
In almost a decade of being here, I think I can count on one hand people that actually did something way beyond the ordinary with this old, worn-out platform that is the 3G.

Keeping that in mind, I think I have read thousands upon thousands of threads from mostly teenagers that come up with utterly retarded "what-if" ideas only never to do a damn thing about it, other than vehemently defend themselves because of some incredibly stupid concocted reason pulled directly from their ass as to why it could happen.

·
Registered
50 Posts
this is a bad idea. just walk away from it dude. you're right, i'm gonna say it's definitely not worth it.

but then again; it is your car. So be different (if you can really afford it).

·
Engineer/Realist
4,999 Posts
first answer the question, WHY V8?

then answer, WHY 3G?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
People have taken Grand Am's and Probes and stuff like that and made drag cars out of them for a long time. Mostly because I am sure a beat up grand am is cheaper than a beat up Camaro and they might have had a grand am fall into their lap. It doesn't really matter if it is FWD or RWD because it will end up as an all tube car with a 4 link rear anyway.

If anyone were seriously about doing this I would copy what is done in the drag race world but that is definitly not a street car. I think it has been done before on an Eclipse though right. It has been on the other Eclipse site for years.

·
Waiting to spool
3,237 Posts
If you plan on swapping a V8 be prepared for alot of custom fab work, and alot of money like everyone has been telling you. You will have to tear up the interior to actually make it fit and would take ALOT of work to be a street car.

I know of one 2g that was converted to a RWD V8, and if you look at the interior you can basically see the drivetrain running right next to the driver. However I understand you want a FWD but it would still take alot of front end supports and fabbing.

·
Appalachian State
1,574 Posts
In almost a decade of being here, I think I can count on one hand people that actually did something way beyond the ordinary with this old, worn-out platform that is the 3G.

Keeping that in mind, I think I have read thousands upon thousands of threads from mostly teenagers that come up with utterly retarded "what-if" ideas only never to do a damn thing about it, other than vehemently defend themselves because of some incredibly stupid concocted reason pulled directly from their ass as to why it could happen.
Which is exactly what he is and it will never happen.

·
SikStrat-R/T
95 Posts
hey man im gunna knock u but what a dumb question! V8 in a eclipse? come on really. its almost impossible to swap a 6g72tt into our car let alone a v8. just think the question out before u post. please

·
JVP
703 Posts
hey man im gunna knock u but what a dumb question! V8 in a eclipse? come on really. its almost impossible to swap a 6g72tt into our car let alone a v8. just think the question out before u post. please
I will agree dumb question, but it is not (as you put it) "near impossible" to swap a 6G72tt. All it takes is the know how, money, and time to do it. Same three for the V8. All I can say is you may think you can get a 350 and a eclipse for cheap, but I guarantee you will be spending more money than you ever comprehended on the project. Besides by the time you get done doing it, its not a eclipse anymore.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts

Touche'.

·
Registered
858 Posts
another person from jersey i see. First of all, the 3g doesn't have a trans tunnel so you have to cut and fab a new one from scratch so you can get the trans and make the hole for the shifter. second, you will have to remold or design the interior because of the first. third, the 3g was not ment to carry that kind of wieght around in the front end so you will have to come up with a new suspention setup and add a lot more support in the front end. forth, the car has no tunnel for the drivshaft either so you eill have to make that as well and find out what rear end you will be usind. fifth, you will need to redesign the rear suspention. sixth, you will need to reenforce the whole car so it doesn't twist on you when you want to take off to show off to your friends and street race. so in the end if you really want to drop a v8 in a jap car, your best bet is to go do it with a 240sx or a mazda rx7, because alot of the fab parts are already there such as the area for the trans and drive shaft.

ps, I can't spell for shit today
it is spelled suspension, I know

sorry please be forgiving

·
SikStrat-R/T
95 Posts
I will agree dumb question, but it is not (as you put it) "near impossible" to swap a 6G72tt. All it takes is the know how, money, and time to do it. Same three for the V8. All I can say is you may think you can get a 350 and a eclipse for cheap, but I guarantee you will be spending more money than you ever comprehended on the project. Besides by the time you get done doing it, its not a eclipse anymore.
yeah i dont think this kid has money or know how, no lol:lmfao:

·
Hates Electrical
1,164 Posts
People have taken Grand Am's and Probes and stuff like that and made drag cars out of them for a long time. Mostly because I am sure a beat up grand am is cheaper than a beat up Camaro and they might have had a grand am fall into their lap. It doesn't really matter if it is FWD or RWD because it will end up as an all tube car with a 4 link rear anyway.

If anyone were seriously about doing this I would copy what is done in the drag race world but that is definitly not a street car. I think it has been done before on an Eclipse though right. It has been on the other Eclipse site for years.
Note that the car you are talking about is a tubular frame build with a 3G shell

·
Waiting to spool
3,237 Posts
another person from jersey i see. First of all, the 3g doesn't have a trans tunnel so you have to cut and fab a new one from scratch so you can get the trans and make the hole for the shifter. second, you will have to remold or design the interior because of the first. third, the 3g was not ment to carry that kind of wieght around in the front end so you will have to come up with a new suspention setup and add a lot more support in the front end. forth, the car has no tunnel for the drivshaft either so you eill have to make that as well and find out what rear end you will be usind. fifth, you will need to redesign the rear suspention. sixth, you will need to reenforce the whole car so it doesn't twist on you when you want to take off to show off to your friends and street race. so in the end if you really want to drop a v8 in a jap car, your best bet is to go do it with a 240sx or a mazda rx7, because alot of the fab parts are already there such as the area for the trans and drive shaft.
Exactly what I meant only more indepth.

·
Ice Ice Baby
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Exactly what I meant only more indepth.
Thank you, the only helpful answer to my question, no i dont have the money as of now, but it was just a thought. No i dont plan to do it either, but it was just one of those "what if" scenarios, and yea the post with the civette, that's what gave me the idea. Do you really think i'd set myself up for failure?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I do think that it would be an interesting conversion, depending on what engine that is. I'm intriguied, that's for sure.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts