Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever run or is currently running this system? Im only looking for a mild nitrous system and I found this kit. Can anyone give any feedback on the kit?

The R500 Recluse is Venom's entry level nitrous system. The system is built using Venom's Patented closed loop fuel control system which ensures the proper air/fuel ratio under all operating conditions. The system features an advanced microprocessor based control module that will automatically terminate the flow of nitrous if the air/fuel mixture becomes to lean. You control the flow of nitrous to your engine using various sized nozzles (each kit contains 3 nozzles(50, 75, 100); the module will automatically control the fuel flow to your engine using the existing injectors. No modifications to fuel pressure required and best of all it works on all new fuel systems that do not include a fuel return line.

Kit comes complete with: Computer control module, nitrous nozzles, wiring harness, 10 oz. bottle, bottle brackets, hoses, fittings and installation Manual. The R500 Recluse fits all Electronically Fuel Injected Vehicles

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
I'm curious as to how the "closed loop fuel control system" works... Most dry nitrous systems just increase your fuel pressure.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I mean for $350 shipped its hard to pass up this kind of deal. The only thing I would probably do is upgrade the size of the bottle but you can do that anytime. It also comes with all the safety features. Ive heard some good things from the Mustang guys using this kit though Ive never heard of anyone using it on a 3G.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
probably has something like the SAFC built into a module that alters airflow signal when spraying to add more fuel :dunno:
Thats what I was thinking that the jets are placed before the MAF and the computer system probably taps into the MAF to read the airflow and compensate for the additional fuel needed.

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
... why would the jets need to be placed before the MAF? The atomized nitrous isn't going to create more airflow between point A and B; however, it will increase the volumetric efficiency of the engine and cause more airflow to be read at the MAF once the nitrous reaches the engine. I read one thing implying that the unit interfaces with the stock O2 sensor(s).

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The main control unit connects to the factory oxygen sensor, throttle position sensor, and fuel injectors. These connections are used in various ways.
LEDs on the driver display indicate mixture rich/lean conditions based on readings from the oxygen sensor. If a lean condition is detected while the unit is active that cannot be corrected (see below), the system will shut itself down.
If the oxygen sensor readings indicate a lean condition, the control unit will supplement the pulse time of the factory fuel injectors, adding more fuel. While most people would call the VCN-1000 kit a "dry" setup (as it does not use an additional solenoid and nozzle to inject more fuel into the intake stream), it doesn't quite fit into that category due to its effect on fuel control using the stock injectors. The system is a true closed-loop system, which in theory should make it a much safer system than your average nitrous kit - wet or dry.
Throttle position is monitored, and when wide-open throttle is detected, the flow of nitrous oxide is turned on.
The cockpit-mounted display has LEDs to show system status and any error conditions, as well as an indication of whether the mixture is rich/lean. It also has a switch to make the system active.

The amount of nitrous sprayed into the intake can be changed by swapping out colored nozzles. Each color is rated for its orifice diameter - the Venom manual doesn't list how much horsepower each will add.
That just got me sold on the kit. Its basically a dry kit using the stock injectors to compensate for fuel, I guess you could call it a hybrid wet nitrous kit.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wouldn't that fuck up your MAF sensor getting it
all wet and shit?
Well I dont think it goes infront of the MAF like I previously said so I dont think you would be getting your MAF wet.

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
wouldn't that fuck up your MAF sensor getting it
all wet and shit?
Most dry kits on fuel injected cars have the jets before the MAF. Spraying the nitrous across the MAF allows it to be picked up by the ecu and add more fuel via the injectors. But yes if you do spray for long periods of time (like repeated dyno pulls) you will freeze the MAF and get erroneous readings. This setup usually works well on a GM-style hotwire type MAF, though I thought Mitsu used a different type.

The Venom is a little different though, being that it bypasses the MAF and the controller then pulses the inejctors longer to add fuel, instead of relying on the ecu via the MAF signal.

·
Turbo Buick > you
1,336 Posts
just convert to a GM MAS and use a translator.... vwahla problems solved.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts