Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got into an accident, with my 2001 Spyder GT, where I damaged quite a few of my front passenger side suspension parts. At first I replaced the strut and the control arm, and it did not do much.

Next I figured it must be the front/suspension crossmember, so I took that apart and replaced it. The crossmember was only ever so slightly bent. Put everything back together, but no good... wheel still has tons of negative camber...!

My only conclusion now is that the frame itself, where the top of the strut mounts, must be bent. When I looked at it - it does not look like the frame is bent, but I don't know what it looked like before the accident... will take pix...

I don't believe there is a way to radically adjust the camber in a McPherson strut system like in our cars..., but if anyone knows how... tell me. The wheel from my approximations has about 10 degrees of negative camber... :noplease:

I will post pics sometime this weekend, so busy right now... This thing is driving me nuts, I'm almost ready to just toe the car to the frame shop and have them analyze and pull the damn thing... Does anyone have any suggestions on what else to look for before I drag it to the shop?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Also a quick question...: Is there a specific way the top of the strut (strut insulator) is suppose to be mounted? i.e., certain bolts are suppose to go through certain holes? Or does any ol' way work?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don’t have a problem reassembling it, I'm just not sure if I can spot any extremely minor bends that may of occurred since I don’t have pictures and the specs such as the specific angles that parts are suppose to make with each other. The drivers side is almost the same except of course the axle is not as long - the drivers side is in spec but I don't know if both sides are suppose to have the same exact angles from factory considering the passenger side does in fact use slightly different length parts ect.

If any knows where I can get these type of measurements - that would be helpful. The pdf files from tearstones website were helpful, but they do not offer reference to things of this matter. Also when I typed up the tread I made a mistake the car has a very bad POSITIVE camber (“ /" that way on the passenger side, it was 12 am... -_- )

Anyways, I am fairly confident that this is a job for the frame shop at this point, considering I've basically replaced all the suspension parts that might of have been at fault. I'm confident they can pull it straight, cant be too far off since no obvious deformations can be seen other than the camber being off...

Thanks guys. Will update with what the problem was and throw some pics in to possibly help others diagnose this problem in the future.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, been a while since I wrote this. The problem ended up being a bent suspension knuckle. I don't know why I didn't figure it out. I suspected it was the knuckle, but for some reason I ruled it out as a possiblity and started looking for other things. Everything is running good now. Here are the before and after pics as promised long ago.

Before

After

1 - 5 of 5 Posts