Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I have a strange problem and i am scraching my head now, not knowing what is going on.

I had a while back SES light on, which had the code P0135 & P0134, The Oxygen Sensor code. i have since then replaced the oxygen sensor and reset the ECU. Now before i did any changes my car had a high idle, very high, to exact at around 2K. Anyway after replacing the O2 sensor and clearing the ECU the car runs flawless, no hesitation, no sputtering nothing, the only thing i have now is that i have a very high idle. The cars isn't trowing any codes are anything. What do you guys recommend me checking or doing next?

THX

R

Ps. 2.4L with no mods other then a short ram intake

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
check and see if the cable that runs to your throttle body is too tight. If its is too tight it will open the throttle w/o you pushing on the gas. Thats all i think it would be. :dunno:

·
Registered
119 Posts
on your throttle is a idle adjustment screw
get a phillips head screwdriver and adjust it. should be on top of your throttle kinda hiding in a hole.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Take off your intake at the throttle body and check to see that the plate is being fully released. Next, check for a vacuum leak. Listen carefully for hissing noises and check to see that all of the lines are connect properly. Don't adjust your idle until you have done those 2 things.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read somewhere that messing with the idle screw, might screw up everything is that right? i might have a look at it i really dont what my previous mechanic might have touched, but i checked all the above mentioned things and they seem alright, now i just have to check for a vacuum leak, any suggestions on how to? (the easy way DIY way?)

·
Banned
558 Posts
I read somewhere that messing with the idle screw, might screw up everything is that right? i might have a look at it i really dont what my previous mechanic might have touched, but i checked all the above mentioned things and they seem alright, now i just have to check for a vacuum leak, any suggestions on how to? (the easy way DIY way?)
With the car idling, trace all of your vacuum lines and make sure that they are connected. Listen for any hissing noises. There should be a diagram underneath your hood for reference.

·
I hate stance
10,295 Posts
It's easier to make a pressure tester commonly used on turbo cars. Only costs a few bucks, but you need a compressed air source. Sounds like a vacuum leak. The car would compensate even if you dicked with the idle screw

·
Registered
207 Posts
is your throttle cable in the car the exact way it was from factory? if you have it pinched or moved out of the way or something like that, it would be keeping the throttle open. take off your intake and make sure that the throttle plate is closed the whole way like badsin said

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked the cable and its very loose, so its not tight at all, so makes me think that's okay, i am currently taking the Intake off to see if the butterfly is compeltely closed BUT one thing i did notice is that when the car is cold the idle is at 1200~1500 and then rises slowly to something above 2000 RPM when the temp reaches about operating temp

Does this symptom point to something else?

·
Registered
119 Posts
an easier way to listen for a vacuum leak is to take a 1'-2' vacuum hose like a 5/16" size and put your ear to the hose and move the hose around the intake mani and throttle and all the vacuum lines. :yesway:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmmm i have never thought of doing it that way, :) something new i learned today :D

I noticed yesterday again that with a cold start the idle is at about 1100 rpm and slowly rises as is reaches the operating temp then it stops rising at about 1700~1900 rpm.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE:

Hey guys i wanted to ask you all what you guys think of the following:

So i took the car to another mechanic, he had a look at the issue (high idle when reaching operating temp).
he said he did not notice anything strange to the car, nothing out of the ordinary
BUT he did notice that the car is running WITHOUT its thermostat.

Now my question is this, can running without the thermostat cause the car to idle high?

THX

·
54,487 Posts
no, it sounds like a vacuum leak. where are your fuel trims at? i suspect that at some point you'll throw a P0171 Bank 1 Too Lean code. if your fuel trims are way out there then i even more suspect a vacuum leak, listen for hissing sound and you can use carb spray to spray around to look for the leak. spray around and if the idle changes you've found it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i took all the advices and still nothing, i bought 2 cans of carb cleaner, i sprayed all around the intake manifold and lines and nothing when it reaches the operating temp it stays there no jumping/bouncing or anything it just stays there, throttle response is perfect so no hesitation or anything, IACV has been cleaned so has the throttle body still nothing, i am running out of ideas I'm guessing the only thing to do is to take it to the mitsu-Stealer so they can maybe use their computer to lower the idle.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
no i haven't will be taking it in on monday to have it checked up

i did take a look at the idle screw and it seems messed up, like there is no ( - ) or ( + ) so i can turn it with a screw driver or something.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
fixed the idle screw BUT i still have a very high idle,

with the idle screw turned all the way in (closed) i still have an idle at 2000 RPM and if i take the idle screw out just a little bit it will go 3000 RPM and up

i have NO leaks, checked every hose, sprayed one by one with both WD-40 AND intake cleaner, used about 4 bottles in total so i know there isn't a leak,

any more suggestions? would i have to take it to the dealer? woudl they be able to hook it up to a computer and lower my idle speed? the car runs very good its just the darn idle that's tooooo high...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts