Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Vibrations, Weird Sounds, Etc.

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  troythevamp 
#1 ·
First time posting here so I'm hoping this is the right place...

In January my car slid into a sidewalk at about 5mph. Busted my rim. Had the rim replaced.

Since then I've had a little bit of play in the steering, some vibration, and a whaa whaa whaa sound when turn which is dominant in left hand turns but sometimes switches to the right (not often). I've had mechanics go over all the wheels, mounts, rotors, and bearings only to be told theres nothing wrong with them. Also noticed a decrease of power and acceleration and at speeds of 100mph+ my ac stops working or at 70mph on left hand turns.

Recently I've been reading that it might be the pulleys or the belts. My belts are a little frayed and look like crap so those are gonna be replaced but before I do I'm wanting to know any more thoughts on the possibility of bent tensor etc. I can't really get a good view of them and if it's only acting up at higher speeds I wouldn't notice if one was slightly damaged at an idle or when car is off i think.

any thoughts? I'm not a car hypochondriac haha I swear I'm hearing something and there is OBVIOUSLY a problem.

See less See more
#2 ·
Take your car to an alignment shop, and have them check your suspension components. It could be that your control arm is bent. Also have them check your tie rods, they may be bent as well. Is the car harder to turn one way vs. the other?

If your belts were bad or not tight, then you would hear your pump squealing. I don't think that would be the issue.

#3 ·
That was another though I had. Along with the tires being off-balanced but neither were true. Everything was sitting perfect and nothing was bent...at least that I could see unless theres a certain area I'm supposed to be looking at. After the wreck I had the shop I use go over it as well and they said it was fine.

Would the bent tie rods account for the ac freak problems too? This being my first import it never ceases to amaze me...especially the fact that if you don't have small hands to work on the thing you're screwed. :doh:

#5 ·
HWY 167 in Arkansas. It wasn't the road either because I've been on a multitude of other roads at lower speed and still heard/felt the same thing.

The most troubling matter other than the vibration is the fact the car randomly moves itself from left to right on occasion without the steering wheel turning. also the steering isn't as tight as I remember. Sounds when breaking now a very little and my ac unit feels weak at times. All of that combined with the vibration and noises coming from the front passenger side is what finally put me on to the possibility of belt/pulley issues. :dunno:

I havent lowered the car yet either (aiming to in the near future) and I want to wait until i figure this out first. Like I said the power steering belt looks pretty thin and frayed. I guess regardless I need to have the belts replaced since they're supposed to be every 60kish right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.