Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awesome!!! Since I use Lightroom, I've been converting all my RAW (.CR2) files to DNG.

DNG Codec so you can view thumbnails of DNG files in Vista. I tried it at work with my XP computer, and it didn't work :happysad:

Before installing the codec, windows will only show thumbnails of JPG files.

After :woot:

If you only work with .CR2 RAW files, you can use this: Microsoft Professional Photography Downloads RAW SyncToy ProPhoto Shoot. Though I didn't try it. If you do, please report back here :)

·
I Wangs
43,483 Posts
With my Macbook I can see the .DNG thumbnails with no problem. Weird thing is that there are a handful that DON'T show up.

·
I Wangs
43,483 Posts

·
I Wangs
43,483 Posts
just tried to look for a .CR2 file and I can't find one. There's probably some on my external HDD but I don't feel like getting it out. :lol:

My guess would be no, but then I don't know how/why it sees the .DNG files either so maybe it would.

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:dunno: I convert all my .CR2 files to .DNG on import to LR.

which reminds me...there's a new update to LR.
Adobe - Lightroom : For Windows : Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.4 - English, French, German
Adobe - Lightroom : For Macintosh : Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.4 - English, French, German

Mostly camera support updates but they did say something about fixing glitches in previous version. I have no glitches...
Repost :p http://www.club3g.com/forum/audio-v...-use-questions-information-2.html#post2658517 :lol:

·
I Wangs
43,483 Posts
sweet! Now that windows 7 is coming out, Microshit finally got a viewer for Vista. :uh: something XP had for years...

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sweet! Now that windows 7 is coming out, Microshit finally got a viewer for Vista. :uh: something XP had for years...
The codec is from Canon, not Microsoft ;) The Microsoft site redirects you to Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, etc to download the codecs.

·
I Wangs
43,483 Posts
The codec is from Canon, not Microsoft ;) The Microsoft site redirects you to Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, etc to download the codecs.
even worse. they had a viewer in XP, but ten "upgrade" to vista and guess what...no viewer.

this from a company that advertises on Photography shows/magazine/podcasts as being "the photographers friend".

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How come there's no universal RAW standard? Why does each company have their own RAW file type?

Canon (.CR2, .TIF, .CRW)
Nikon (.NEF)
Olympus (.ORF)
Panasonic (.RW2)
Pentax (.PEF)
Sony (.ARW, .SR2, .SRF)

Then Adobe (.DNG)

·
I Wangs
43,483 Posts
Adobe is the RAW standard. The camera makers don't have them because OMG OMG OMG those other guys might know how we make the color red look different than the color green. :bash:

hopefully one day...

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just got a Dell Mini 10v netbook and couldn't get any of the RAW and DNG codecs to work. I shoot mostly in RAW. :bash: On top of that, XP Photo Import wizard won't work with the built in card reader :mad:

Solution: FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter

It's a one stop shop solution for me. It has a import utility similar to windows that will organize your photos by Date Taken :yesway: It's also a RAW & DNG browser/viewer :cool: And it's FREE :D

·
hates "smart" people
3,569 Posts
I like having thumbnails for RAW files, unfortunately, there is no x64 support yet.

I can you the x86 RAW codec, but only 32-bit applications (eg. Windows Live Gallery) will be able to show the thumbnails for RAW files.

On a Mac, If I am not mistaken, if you have Adobe Photoshop with Camera RAW (updated to include your current camera), you should be able to see thumbnails for RAW files.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts