Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
I've looked through another forum's opinions and benchmark of SP1 RC, and it seems to fix a lot of network issues, and made the OS generally more responsive. No improvement on gaming performance unfortunately.

·
selective avoidance
1,268 Posts
So, how do I get rid of this stupid crap that SP1 plastered on my desktop?

Windows Vista (TM)
Evaluation Copy. Build 6001
I have Vista Business x64, fully legal and activated. I don't want this crap on my desktop!

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
I've looked through another forum's opinions and benchmark of SP1 RC, and it seems to fix a lot of network issues, and made the OS generally more responsive. No improvement on gaming performance unfortunately.
A friend of mine has his laptop and 2 desktops set up for a local network but can't get the laptop with Vista to play nice. Will this help him be able to use shared files and printers on his network with the XP machines?

·
Huh ?
5,087 Posts
It seems its handling memory and resources much better. I've got it at work, and at home. Work is vista ultimate, and home is vista business.

·
R.I.P Shavana :(
2,769 Posts
So, how do I get rid of this stupid crap that SP1 plastered on my desktop?

I have Vista Business x64, fully legal and activated. I don't want this crap on my desktop!
Did you read the install files, it takes a couple restarts for it to be gone.

·
2,769 Posts
Uh, it's still installed. :) It would be nice to keep it installed AND get rid of the stupid text on my desktop.
No, after the install the "Read-me file" said you would have to restart your computer a couple of times, after the install, for all their spam to disappear.

I haven't been able to install this, so I am not sure but thats what I read.

·
2,769 Posts
Vista Service Pack 1 Read-Me File said:
• Windows Vista SP1 Release Candidate is Time-Limited software. It will no longer operate after June 30, 2008 and should be uninstalled prior to that date. Note: After installation your desktop will show the text “Evaluation Copy”. This does not mean that your system is no longer “Genuine”. It means that you have installed a test version of software which is time-limited.

• The “Evaluation Copy” text will show up on the 2nd boot after installing the service pack. Likewise, the Evaluation Copy text will remain during the first boot after uninstall, but will disappear after the next reboot.
Looks like I read it wrong, it's there until you uninstall it.

·
selective avoidance
1,268 Posts
After some experimentation and searching, seems this method doesn't work for 64-bit. Apparently, people have tried modifying the multiple copies of this file on 64-bit and it doesn't help. :(

Hopefully someone figures it out.

·
selective avoidance
1,268 Posts
Tried it once more, used the manual method. Removed the indicated strings from both of these and rebooted. Still there. Verified with the Resource Editor app that the strings were indeed gone and my edited files were not replaced.

Hacked these two files so far.

C:\Windows\System32\en-us\user32.dll.mui
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\en-us\user32.dll.mui

Next...? :scratch:

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,313 Posts
Finished installing SP1 RC last night :cool:

1 - I didn't see any watermark text on my desktop saying it's an evaluation copy :scratch: I have Home Premium.

2 - It fixed the issue I was having :twothumb: The svchost.exe process tied with the Windows Audio Endpoint Builder service was constantly running in the background using 50% of the cpu. Now, it's no more :cool:

3 - It freed up exactly 25GB of my hard drive :lol: I'm guessing it was the page file or something :dunno:

·
Excellent Mediocrity
14,802 Posts
I'm going to load up my wife's PC during the holiday break with Vista, so it's good to know the SP helps. :bigthumb:

·
2,769 Posts
Finished installing SP1 RC last night :cool:

1 - I didn't see any watermark text on my desktop saying it's an evaluation copy :scratch: I have Home Premium.

2 - It fixed the issue I was having :twothumb: The svchost.exe process tied with the Windows Audio Endpoint Builder service was constantly running in the background using 50% of the cpu. Now, it's no more :cool:

3 - It freed up exactly 25GB of my hard drive :lol: I'm guessing it was the page file or something :dunno:
Have you restarted your pc after it was all installed? It will pop up.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts