Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Bringing sexy back
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm wondering what TV's are best to try to get what peoples experiences are. I really want to invest in either a LCD or Plasma for my room, the 25in isn't cutting it.

I am kinda lost how LCD's cost more than plasmas of the same size. I thought plasmas were the better of the two.

I am thinking of a plasma, step dad has a panasonic 42 downstairs with the direct tv and the HD looks nice.

So I ask this, what are the pros and cons of each?
What one is better?
And why the price diff?
Would one be better than the other for gaming?

Probably going to do this after xmas when the prices drop.

·
Generally Bitter Admin
28,432 Posts
I have a 42" 1080p Philips LCD in my bedroom, it sucks for sports and pretty much anything that involves quick transitions on-screen due to pixelazation. I have a 50" Mitsu Diamond 1080i rear projection series in my TV room, picture for picture, while the LCD is infinitely "brighter" the Mitsu is far superior in reproducing images. Both TVs use DirecTV and Comcast HD signals.

TV technology has been evolving ridiculously fast this past year, and you can pretty much find pros and cons for each make, (LCD, Plasma, and DLP and its variations) but saying that, for maximum screen size if you want an actual frame and not a projector, nothing really competes with a DLP rear projections screen.

Gaming wise I have a 360 Elite, a Wii, and a Xbox, using HDMI connections, the Mitsu can't touch the LCDs sharpness, but again, the pixelazation issue comes through on fast moving images.

Yes, the plasmas and LCDs may be brighter but unless you are getting a higher end model of that type you are really taking your chances in picture quality.

One thing I don't see mentioned all that often is heat production. The LCD in my bedroom throws off some heat, and my bedroom is fairly large, whereas my Mitsu throws off nothing in regards to temperature; I have quite a few friends who own plasmas and I couldn't get over not only how much heat they generate, but how loud the cooling systems are, which to me was a big turnoff to going plasma over LCD in my bedroom.

In my opinion, unless you are at a space premium, or just want to hang a TV on the wall I would stick with a DLP set for overall image quality for the dollar; sure the sleekness factor like that of a LCD or plasma isn't there, but you get a LOT more for your money.

·
08/05/2008
5,624 Posts
You may want to wait until after CES this January. I hear Mitsubishi is supposed to announce a laser based RPTV that has superior picture, no color wheel (gets rid of rainbow effects and no color wheel = less moving parts = higher reliability), thinner footprint (I think 12" for ~70" screen), deeper blacks, better energy efficiency (when a laser isn't in use it turns off where the light bulb technology is always on), and no required bulb changes. Who knows? Maybe SED sets will get a firm release date and even if you don't invest in the newest technology it will do nothing but push down the prices of the older technology.

·
Skee Ball Champion
1,880 Posts
You may want to wait until after CES this January. I hear Mitsubishi is supposed to announce a laser based RPTV that has superior picture, no color wheel (gets rid of rainbow effects and no color wheel = less moving parts = higher reliability), thinner footprint (I think 12" for ~70" screen), deeper blacks, better energy efficiency (when a laser isn't in use it turns off where the light bulb technology is always on), and no required bulb changes. Who knows? Maybe SED sets will get a firm release date and even if you don't invest in the newest technology it will do nothing but push down the prices of the older technology.
I also heard this is suppose to be a good deal cheaper than the current technology.

·
Bringing sexy back
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm sam, I wasn't really looking at a DLP. I don't really have enough room in my room a 42'' would work better till I move and then could use it as a primary set.

No one answered why a LCD is more expensive than a plasma, I would think it would be the other way around.

·
08/05/2008
5,624 Posts
If it is truly superior to current RPTV's, even if it is cheaper to produce, it will still be more expensive to purchase. That's just the way it works. Mitsubishi has said it would be cheaper than LCD and Plasmas of equivalent size. Flat screens over 48" take a fairly large jump in price.

·
Bringing sexy back
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But I always thought plasma was superior, aka the higher price a year ago. Plasma isn't superior to lcd?

·
08/05/2008
5,624 Posts
They each have positives and negatives.

Advantages both share:
Thin footprint.
Wall hangable.
Estimated 60,000-100,000 hours usage before the displayed picture reaches half brightness.

LCD Advantages:
On average uses less energy than plasmas.
Seems to produce less heat than plasmas.
Don't suffer from image burn in.
Produces bright vibrant images.

LCD Disadvantages:
Grayer blacks.
Motion blur during faster paced action.

Plasma Advantages:
Little to no motion blur.
Deeper blacks.

Plasma Disadvantages:
Debatable but it at least has the stigma of still being vulnerable to image burn in.
Uses more energy than LCD on average.
Produces more heat than LCD on average.

1080p LCDs Outsell Plasmas, RPTV Sales Up in October - CE Pro Article

Good forum to peruse.
Flat Panel General & New FP Tech - AVS Forum

Edit: Oh and from a gaming stand point a lot of people go with LCD because of the possible image burn in issues of plasma. If you play a game that has an image that is constantly displayed in the same spot (health bar, menus, maps, etc) or perhaps watch a lot of ESPN and the news ticker is always displayed eventually there can be a ghosting effect showing that ticker outline even when you turn channels. Plasmas have gotten a lot better with the burn in issue, some owners swear it doesn't exist anymore, but I have seen a couple still have it.

·
I Wangs
43,483 Posts
I have been looking at TV's recently and right now I can't decide. at first I was looking at 42" plasma TVs from LG and Samsung but then found that the 50" versions were only $200 more. so I started looking into those. but then after going to the store and looking at them I saw that the 47ish LCD versions from the same manufacturers were MUCH brighter. The plasma was so dark that in many of the scenes you couldn't see what was going on. I even tried turning up the brightness (thinking maybe the store screwed with it) but the color ended up being wrong. so the problem is that he 50" Plasma is $1399 and the 47" LCD is $1899. I'm not spending that much for a TV that I barely watch so now I'm back to looking at maybe getting a 42" LCD. I don't play games on it so I'm not worried about ghosting. which I NEVER see on my 32" LCD btw...

as for that new technology...I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot poll for at least a year.

·
Bringing sexy back
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So are the Pats gonna look just as good on a LCD as they would on a Plasma, because it looks awfully nice in HD downstairs on the panasonic plasma.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yea im with clipzin33. i to am going to be looking for a tv after xmas. i hear lcd is the way to go, since plasma is only good for watching movies on. cause of there ghosting issues...But after seeing what sam wrote. it has me thinking alittle.....So i will be watching this thread lol..

·
Generally Bitter Admin
28,432 Posts
So are the Pats gonna look just as good on a LCD as they would on a Plasma, because it looks awfully nice in HD downstairs on the panasonic plasma.
The Pats will look better, brighter and more crisp on the LCD...as long as they don't have to move; then throw everything out the window.

·
Premium Member
14,853 Posts
I too am wanting a TV after Christmas. Jenn actually bought me a 32" LCD for my office as a Christmas present, but Sears, the store she bought it from, screwed her over (at least in the sense of customer service). She paid for it Dec 10th, got an email and a phone call last weekend that it was ready to be picked-up in store, went to the store Friday to pick it up and...they didn't have it, and offered her nothing but a "well, you'll just have to wait until we get them back in stock." When might you ask? Well she did, and the answer given was "I don't know. We'll get more TVs a week or two after Christmas, you can try back then." And that was from the store manager. Wow.

So, she's getting her money back and we're going to go somewhere else to get one. But really, at this point, I may wait a few weeks and see what is available during the Superbowl sales. That seems to have better TV prices than Christmas.

That was my long-winded way of saying "may want to wait till Superbowl sales". Sorry. :lol:

·
Bringing sexy back
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well we know they have to move so that isn't going to work. I've also noticed alot of the hd channels have there logo on the bottom right and its stationary so according to you guys, will end up as burnt in.

I always thought plasma was the big dog, but I guess thats not the case. Maybe I'll just have to look at reviews.

·
Bringing sexy back
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
08/05/2008
5,624 Posts
1 - 20 of 56 Posts