Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering with it getting cold here in va. how like should u usally let ur car warm up before it's ok to drive? i was just wondering becuase i wanted my car warmed up and good to go but at the same time not use to much gas with prices going up like they are.................

·
Premium Member
16,710 Posts
Your car should be fine to drive after just a few seconds. If you are really worried about it, then let your car idle until your RPMs drop to around 700rpms.

With you being in VA, I dont think you will have to worry to much about damaging your motor if you start it up and drive off within 30 seconds.

·
MINI by proxy
4,408 Posts
My car takes a good 2-3 minutes to drop to below 1K RPM. I try to let it do that first, before forcing any load onto the engine. It takes a while for the oil to circulate into the head. This could be more specific to my car, or the 4 cyl, but I know at least one guy with a GT that takes a minute or two to drop it's revs upon cold starts... both mine and his have a pretty pronounced ticking while they're warming up, especially within the first 30 to 60 seconds.

VA can get rather cold at times! I'd wait at least until the needle on your temp gauge registers a bit above the 'Cold' line.

·
I now has Mitsu AWD.
701 Posts
its a good idea to let it set for a good few minutes, like TampaBlue said, until you can get the engine speed below 1K. the best things is to let it run until its fully warmed up and idling at 700, but not necessary. DO NOT just start your car and go right off the bat, prolonged start-and-go in cold can result in engine block or even your heads cracking, especially at higher elevations where it gets really cold.

·
350Z (Z33)
2,205 Posts
I usually warm the engine for 30 seconds, then its good to go for normal driving.

·
kickin it old school
1,487 Posts
Right now, in the fall from last year when I got the car, I've made it a religious habit. I warm it up every day at 6:55 AM before school to when I leave at 7:00 AM, just to give it some time to idle on its own.

·
Appalachian State
1,574 Posts
I let is sit for a couple minutes. I have heard that you should let it hit the line just above the C before driving off

·
Registered
846 Posts
i actually heard its not good to let car warm up, u can just start it and drive, depending on how late i am to work thats what i usually do...

·
jDm tYt3, y0!
322 Posts
I normally let it idle for a good minute or two before leaving for school. Its idle will be below 1k rpms, and the temperature a bit above the "C" mark. I don't know if this is correct, but I swear by it.

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
its a good idea to let it set for a good few minutes, like TampaBlue said, until you can get the engine speed below 1K. the best things is to let it run until its fully warmed up and idling at 700, but not necessary. DO NOT just start your car and go right off the bat, prolonged start-and-go in cold can result in engine block or even your heads cracking, especially at higher elevations where it gets really cold.
Now that I have an oil pressure gauge. I actually see my oil pressure start at like 80 and drop to 12 or so at idle, during the warm up. Then if I drive before it being fully warmed, the oil pressure goes way high.

Its just another reason to let it warm up correctly. We can't feel that oil pressure sitting inside the car, but it sure happens.

·
Christopher Pearce
2,542 Posts
I let my car sit as well until the oil pressure goes down. It's nice to be able to monitor it now with the gauge.

Reactions: steadly2004

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
Your car should be fine to drive after just a few seconds.
This comes up every year here in Minnesota and this is all that's ever said by the "experts" in the paper. Start it up, wait a couple seconds, then go ahead and go. Take it easy for a few minutes, no drag races or anything, and then nothing to worry about afterwards.

If you're nervous, wait for the RPM to drop, but if you take it easy for a few miles then you don't even have to.

·
MINI by proxy
4,408 Posts
i actually heard its not good to let car warm up, u can just start it and drive, depending on how late i am to work thats what i usually do...
I'd like to hear if there's any sort of logic to this stance at all. Seems pretty absurd that letting the car sit at idle for a few minutes could be "not good" for your car.
This comes up every year here in Minnesota and this is all that's ever said by the "experts" in the paper. Start it up, wait a couple seconds, then go ahead and go. Take it easy for a few minutes, no drag races or anything, and then nothing to worry about afterwards.

If you're nervous, wait for the RPM to drop, but if you take it easy for a few miles then you don't even have to.
Do the experts give any logical reasoning behind this?
Seems to me that an engine with cold oil is an oil starved engine. Just makes me nervous putting even a moderate load on before it's fully lubricated. I've done it before, and usually get an even higher idle speed in response. This would seem to indicate a need for the "warm-up".

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
something no ones mentioned (I don't think), if the temps down freezing
and your antifreeze is good to that and not much more below, due to the chill factor you could freeze your radiator up and cause overheating.
Ever see a car on the side of a freeway doing the "Old Faithful" impersonation
in the winter?

·
156 Posts
yea i live in minnesota and it's definitely a good idea to let it sit a couple mins at least. mines takes 5 mins or so to idle down to the 700 when its 20 degrees out. but i'm due for an oil change in about 700 miles. so that has somethin to do with it. can't imagine it being good for the car to just start up and go. as far as the "experts" here sayin it, i've never heard such a thing. idk tho. just my opinion on the matter.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I always let mine idle for around 30 seconds to 1 minute even during the hottest months. When it gets cold around December-February, I let it idle for 1-2 minutes or until it drops below 1000rpms.

Letting your vehicle warm up is a smart move, no matter if it's a 3g or not.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts