Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
761 - 771 of 771 Posts

· Super Moderator
54,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #766 · (Edited)
New to me Q45 tobble throtty has arrived early, I'll work on it later today. Already looks a lot better than my current one, can't wait to get it stripped of extra parts and installed! Actually I can wait, time for lunch.

Old vs new to me, not sure what's up with the old one. It's shaft and screws are different and the plate moves on the shaft like it's thinner. I wonder if someone tried to replace the throttle plate for some reason?? It should be repairable but you'd need the correct plate made for it, shouldn't be terribly hard to have someone make a correct brass or aluminum throttle plate to slip in there but it's too much time, I want to drive my car this year.

Attachments

· Super Moderator
54,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #767 ·
Made a stay to brace the lower part of the air intake to the body, found a hole in the frame and installed a threaded insert, then put a stud in a boss already on the intake, drilled and twisted some aluminum I had on hand and put it on. Also finished up fixing the wheel liner, it had openings in it for ??? and I had covered them a few years back with plastic on the inside held by screws, swapped them out for rivets and covered up the last hole.
Automotive lighting Gas Auto part Motor vehicle Personal protective equipment

· Super Moderator
54,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #768 ·
Found a mechanic error that likely was causing my high idle. Cam position sensor wasn't snapped in, just connector set on it. 2 trip fault so it didn't crop up until I started it to drive tonight. I'm sure that had it in some kind of limp mode with timing causing higher idle than it should have been.
Drove well, seemed happier with fresher fuel too. I had about 1/4 tank with Stabil and some other additives dosed at full tank strength so I'm sure that wasn't helping a bunch either. It's still learning trims, I'll drive it the next two days it's supposed to be nice out, maybe log some data with the scan tool and see what's going on with airflow, trims, and O2 volts. Try to get it on a rack and do the rear mount insert as well and maybe spackle over the area that I think is weeping oil on the back of the passenger side cause it's making a mess on the splash panels.

· Super Moderator
54,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #769 ·
Drove it today. Intake manifold is good, got the throttle binding issue fixed with 1/8th turn more stop, idles great, pulls harder than before especially at part throttle and below 6000. It feels like the engine got bigger.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
54,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #770 ·
Took it out for probably the last drive of the year yesterday, about 70 miles and 90 minutes of drive time. The first 20 miles on the highway were without my oil cap because I didn't follow protocol and set it on the hood latch, got distracted, and dropped the hood with it off. I heard an unusual rattle under my hood and found the cap rode pinned to the engine by the hood the whole way. Lost about 1/8th qt onto the engine and hood, so I guess my PCV and breather are working pretty well since it's not blasting out engine oil from the filler cap hole. Sprayed that mess down with some brake cleaner in the parking lot, let it dry for a bit, then went about my errands and pleasure drive.
I can confidently say that the torque band is wider with the intake manifold, there's more torque at lower RPM, cruising around curves in 3rd gear is now as enjoyable as in 2nd gear around 40-60mph. Definitely needs tuning work, feels like there's a bit more to pull out with just fuel and timing tuning. When I had logged some driving earlier in warmer weather I saw short term trims blip up near 20% in some areas as it was learning and saw a couple spots where timing was pulled for I assume a little knock detection. Winter and spring project will be to figure out something I can tune with and start getting parts. Likely start with an AEM UEGO in the upstream hole and send it's 0-1V output to the stock ECM. I can monitor AFR in the OE location to get a sense of what's going on and have wideband data to feed into whatever I tune with I guess? I haven't messed with this stuff in so long I'm way out of the loop. The ECUMaster DET3 looks like it might be a cheap somewhat easy thing to use for this, let me delete the MAF, run bigger injectors, AFR tune, I think it can do ignition timing, and I've seen that it can activate the Lift solenoid as well (and I can put in a fooler for the stock ECM to keep the engine light off).

· Super Moderator
54,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #771 ·
I gave in to modern conveniences. I noticed how nice the dimming mirror is in my GF's 2016 Escape so I hopped on eBay and found a dimming mirror from a 2010-2016 Subaru with red digits hidden compass, no home link, with reverse light tap. So it's auto dimming, it auto-undims when you go into reverse, and it's got a hidden compass display with red segments instead of the normal blue/green color. $60 shipped with the wire harness and the wire hide from the Subaru that I can make an extension for or trim shorter whichever is needed. Subaru uses the same mirror attachment as Toyota so other than some wiring it's all plug n play. I don't drive at night a bunch but when I do I'm right at headlight level, mostly my issue is sun glare off the rear wing and this will really cut down on that.
Bumper Gadget Automotive mirror Automotive exterior Tints and shades

There's not many with red hidden compass, without home link, with the wire harness, with the wire hide. I was all ready to get a non compass mirror but then I saw one of these that had sold recently and I just had to have this exact setup. Red is so much easier on my eyes than the blue/green displays these typically have.

761 - 771 of 771 Posts