Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was wondering how many of the turbo V6s dump to the atmoshpere, and just how loud is it? I am strongly considering going this route with a .48 T3/T4. Now I know Tearstone had some problems with boost spikes, and I was wondering if dumping to the atm could have fixed that (as opposed to upgrading to a larger AR)?

Mostly I'm worried about the sound. I would imagine the combination of a quick-spooling turbo and atm vented wastegate would make for a very loud car.
 

·
Kampfbereit
Joined
·
17,852 Posts
Jetblackness said:
Hi, I was wondering how many of the turbo V6s dump to the atmoshpere, and just how loud is it? I am strongly considering going this route with a .48 T3/T4. Now I know Tearstone had some problems with boost spikes, and I was wondering if dumping to the atm could have fixed that (as opposed to upgrading to a larger AR)?

Mostly I'm worried about the sound. I would imagine the combination of a quick-spooling turbo and atm vented wastegate would make for a very loud car.
My wastegate dumps to the atmosphere. Pretty much ever V6 setup that I know of dumps to the atmosphere other than "TheCrow", and anyone that installs a kit that Donald Eley made after "TheCrow"s kit was created.

It's loud, annoying and I am eventually getting my recirculated in the very near future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NAPALM said:
Its very loud on my GS-T. Extremely obnoxious after a little while. Especially when youa re tyring to tune and you cant here the damn engine.

Get it recirc'd.
Ya its posts like these that make me want to go a get an internally gated turbo, and close off the 35mm wastegate opening on the v6 collector pipes.

Tearstone said:
My wastegate dumps to the atmosphere. Pretty much ever V6 setup that I know of dumps to the atmosphere other than "TheCrow", and anyone that installs a kit that Donald Eley made after "TheCrow"s kit was created.

It's loud, annoying and I am eventually getting my recirculated in the very near future.

What about your guy's kit?

In this shot:
http://tearstone.com/images/big/v65.jpg
It looks like it just recirculates back into the exhaust pipes.

Ya I just watched a video of an LS1 with an external wastegate. Needless to say, it did not sound good AT ALL. I was expecting the kind of sound that Jesus's 800-1000hp Supra made when it spooled up, instead it sounded like all his cam-sprocket bearings were broken.

Thanks for all your help you guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tearstone said:
Yes, it reciculates back into the exhaust. Donald Eley makes the kits that I sell, and the kit that is on Crow's car.
Ohhhh ok. Gotcha. So internally gated turbo it is. :D
 

·
Kampfbereit
Joined
·
17,852 Posts
Jetblackness said:
Ohhhh ok. Gotcha. So internally gated turbo it is. :D
Don't get an internally gated turbo unless the dump tube and the downpipe are seperated where it bolts up to the turbo. The integrated chamber design into a single downpipe right off the turbo sucks mucho ass and you will indeed lose horsepower. I'm not a fan of integrated wastegated turbos unless they are done properly at the very least. I think you should simply get an external wastegate and plumb it back into the exhaust.
 

·
bollocks
Joined
·
19,089 Posts
on my buddy's evo, he solved the open venting problems by installing the EDIS and also a grounding kit. it runs nice and smooth and still has the satisfying release
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tearstone said:
Don't get an internally gated turbo unless the dump tube and the downpipe are seperated where it bolts up to the turbo. The integrated chamber design into a single downpipe right off the turbo sucks mucho ass and you will indeed lose horsepower. I'm not a fan of integrated wastegated turbos unless they are done properly at the very least. I think you should simply get an external wastegate and plumb it back into the exhaust.
Well looks like Im back to an external wastegate. The biggest problem I face with the external wastegate is probably the price (after the noise issue that is).

BTW Do you have any more pics of the post-turbo exhaust routing? Im curios to see how the tubes are bent from the turbo to the exhaust.
 

·
OMFG
Joined
·
6,632 Posts

·
Kampfbereit
Joined
·
17,852 Posts
Jetblackness said:
Well looks like Im back to an external wastegate. The biggest problem I face with the external wastegate is probably the price (after the noise issue that is).

BTW Do you have any more pics of the post-turbo exhaust routing? Im curios to see how the tubes are bent from the turbo to the exhaust.
The wastegate is tapped off of the rear manifold pipe (going to the turbo) and dumps into the leading edge of the downpipe.

 

·
Lance Corporal
Joined
·
3,953 Posts
Does that piping get in the way when you're changing the oil?
Ross
 

·
Resident Asshole
Joined
·
6,056 Posts
Jetblackness said:
Well looks like Im back to an external wastegate. The biggest problem I face with the external wastegate is probably the price (after the noise issue that is).
if you worried about a couple extra hundred dollars to do the job right then i would save up a little while longer before going fi.
 

·
Lance Corporal
Joined
·
3,953 Posts
afb??? Im in Shepherd Texas, which is north of Houston about 50 miles on US59. Why?
Ross
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top