Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Kampfbereit
17,854 Posts
Either method of controlling boost is essentially the same if using a boost controller. The beautiful thing about an internal wastegate is that you don't hear an earfull of raw V6 exhaust dumping out of the front of your car which sounds like ass. It really sort of takes the fun out of daily driving. With an internal wastegate on the dyno, you could hear more of that "CAI" sound than anything else. Truely sleeper-ish on all levels with the exception of the BOV.

Although, just like Corky Bell states... when was the last time you ever heard of a drag car with an internal wastegate?

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
To me it seems like the best alternative would be to go with an external gate, and plumb the dump tube back into the down pipe at least 18 inches downstream of the turbo. With a nice two into 1 collector and an appropiate sized down pipe, I don't think that too many ponies would be lost. This would reduce noise, emmission, as well as eliminate boost creep-.

·
Kampfbereit
17,854 Posts
fasteclipse00 said:
To me it seems like the best alternative would be to go with an external gate, and plumb the dump tube back into the down pipe at least 18 inches downstream of the turbo. With a nice two into 1 collector and an appropiate sized down pipe, I don't think that too many ponies would be lost. This would reduce noise, emmission, as well as eliminate boost creep-.
True, plumbing it back into the existing downpipe would be ideal. This unfortunately makes maintenance somewhat a unique challenge, besides that there is little clearance. Also my downpipe is 2.5" and my wastegate is like 1.5" (38mm), so a 2 in 1 collector would somewhat be odd, but would eventually mock up an internal wastegate design by dumping back into the same exhaust with the addtion of creating negative pulses back through the downpipe.

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
Tearstone said:
True, plumbing it back into the existing downpipe would be ideal. This unfortunately makes maintenance somewhat a unique challenge, besides that there is little clearance. Also my downpipe is 2.5" and my wastegate is like 1.5" (38mm), so a 2 in 1 collector would somewhat be odd, but would eventually mock up an internal wastegate design by dumping back into the same exhaust with the addtion of creating negative pulses back through the downpipe.
It is not really going to cause turbulence and boost spikes, if the dump tube is connected at least 18 inches away from the turbo. All of the other things you listed could be addressed, except the clearance. If it was me, I would just stay with the external dump and go on with life. Money is really the deciding factor.

·
Kampfbereit
17,854 Posts
fasteclipse00 said:
It is not really going to cause turbulence and boost spikes, if the dump tube is connected at least 18 inches away from the turbo. All of the other things you listed could be addressed, except the clearance. If it was me, I would just stay with the external dump and go on with life. Money is really the deciding factor.
Not necessarily money, but it's how you can live with your daily driven car. To me, it's not the money issue, but the performance per the price you have to pay for that performance and if you are willing to sacrifice that performance for a pleasurable driving experience.

I'm just playing devil's advocate, personally I need as much performance as I can get, thus I will keep my external noise maker.

·
My luvly manly lump!
2,438 Posts
Sounds great, Russ! :) It seemed to me as though you didn't have to rev your engine up so high to get an "ooh-aah" reaction... lol

·
My luvly manly lump!
2,438 Posts
Somehow I'm not sure if you're prodding about the car being "fast" or being ironic in that the boosted car of the group has more need to be babied than the others :lol:

:D

·
Kampfbereit
17,854 Posts
Rulez said:
I dunno man. Angel had to set Chris' boost higher so it would reach .4 bar. When he had it set at 5.8 psi, it would drop to .3 bar. That, and around 3300rpm the boost would flutter for a moment, then smooth out.
There are a lot of various settings on that Profec-B. If you used one with your car, you may end up getting the same results. (Someday you will have to use a boost controller).

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So the ideal thing to do would be to use an external and pipe it back into the exaughst at least 18 inches from the turbo, or I could leave it open and not hurt anything. The daily driving thing is not a problem as I usually only drive a few miles a day.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Russ, Post the Vid of my Setup. So they can see and hear the Internal. The Difference.

But if i had the External wastegate. The install would have een done a day earlier. But if we had the bracket for the Actuator it would have been a different story.

I love the way the car sounds. Yes it does sound more like a Intake. Very sleeperish. But i still can hear the Turbo spoolin and I know whats there.

Chris

·
Kampfbereit
17,854 Posts
Whitevis said:
Russ, Post the Vid of my Setup. So they can see and hear the Internal. The Difference.

But if i had the External wastegate. The install would have een done a day earlier. But if we had the bracket for the Actuator it would have been a different story.

I love the way the car sounds. Yes it does sound more like a Intake. Very sleeperish. But i still can hear the Turbo spoolin and I know whats there.

Chris
Oh man, I didn't know *you* were "WhiteVis" all this time.

Alright, here is an internal wastegate setup on the dyno, which is TOTALLY different than an external wastegate on the dyno.

WhiteVis' car running 5.8psi internally wastegated dyno run

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Tearstone said:
Oh man, I didn't know *you* were "WhiteVis" all this time.

Alright, here is an internal wastegate setup on the dyno, which is TOTALLY different than an external wastegate on the dyno.

WhiteVis' car running 5.8psi internally wastegated dyno run
Exacly what im looking for, is it a big $$$ difference to go with the internal as opose to ex?

And which turbo setup is he running?

·
Kampfbereit
17,854 Posts
Blu_GT said:
Exacly what im looking for, is it a big $$$ difference to go with the internal as opose to ex?

And which turbo setup is he running?
He is running the 2nd gen xtech kit. Whitevis' internal wastegate setup is somewhat improper due to the wastegate design. A proper internal wastegate would still use a dump pipe then plumb back into the rest of the piping with a smooth shallow angle.

His kit does not produce near as much power as ours does but for all intensive purposes it is functional just not optimal.

If your putting together a kit, I highly suggest brushing up on your turbo design knowledge to get the key basics by reading Corky Bell's Maximum boost. Otherwise, just keep firing the questions away and we'll answer them for you :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Was just going to let you guys know I just picked up an Extech kit from a guy on the old boards. He said it fit perfecly. We will see. For the price, really did not want to pass it by. How will I know if it is first gen or second? He said it only has 100 miles on it, so I guess it is second. Like I said, we will see. And thanks again for all your help.

·
My luvly manly lump!
2,438 Posts
If the welding is fugly with holes... it was a 2.999 gen :p

Sorry I didn't call you back, Tommy. Guess what... tranny's done. ALL done :p

1 - 20 of 26 Posts