Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have seen several post about this topic but none of them help. My 03' GTS has standing water in the driver side front and back floor. Roughly 1 inch of water to be exact. My car has not ran in a year as it is waiting on my machine shop to finish a motor rebuild so this is not related to AC. I pulled the A-pillar cover off and tried to find the sunroof drain tube. I will pull the headliner this weekend as I plan on recovering it anyways I am not seeing any water dripping from the sun roof. My two trunk drains were clogged awhile back and I cleaned them out but, I cannot find where this water is coming from. It's only in the floor under the driver seat. Any idea? Pictures? The manual does not show where the drain system as a whole is routed to the exterior.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, so I cleaned out the drain holes on each side of the sunroof. I also found water in the fuse block area too. The drain holes had just a small amount of dirt so I doubt this is the origin of my leak. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
62 Posts
You double check for those rust pinholes I mentioned? Around the sunroof and window trim.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Rear hatch seal will leak to the front floor board if the nose is pointed downhill. But you said the fuse block is wet too? Has to be running down the A pillar if its wet there..

·
1,088 Posts
Windshield seal could be leaking or the area around it might be rusty and leaking. Pull back the windshield trim on the exterior of the car to check the condition of the seal. Tape a garden hose to your roof and trickle water down the seal and look for leaks inside of the car behind the a-pillar trim. If that's tight, do the same for around the sun roof. While there are places the car usually leaks, it's just better to witness it by actually getting it wet. That's what a garage would do if you brought it to get fixed.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys, I appreciate the feedback. I'll check all the above. Do our cars have drain holes under the windshield cowl? I have seen some old cars with these. I have not taken the cowl apart yet but, that's next on my list if I don't find this leak. Does this rubber drain tube off the sunrood connect to a larger tube in the A pillar? Could a clog further down the drain tube or a leaking tube cause this? Is the tube in the A pillar rubber also?

·
1,088 Posts
Guys, I appreciate the feedback. I'll check all the above. Do our cars have drain holes under the windshield cowl? I have seen some old cars with these. I have not taken the cowl apart yet but, that's next on my list if I don't find this leak. Does this rubber drain tube off the sunrood connect to a larger tube in the A pillar? Could a clog further down the drain tube or a leaking tube cause this? Is the tube in the A pillar rubber also?
I would trace the drain tube from the sunroof to the exit just to be sure. A clog anywhere in the tube can make it back up into the cabin.

Also the seal along the a-pillar can be leaking too. While you're dealing with the cowl, might as well pull the trim off next to the windshield on the a-pillar too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 2000 eclipse....I had water like you descrIbed In my floorboard come to find when I opened my sunroof there is a drain hole on each side had dirt and water turned into dried mud I bent a coat hanger pushed it through,put my air hose in the hole and blasted it poured water into the holes to check and I saw water coming out from under the car problem solved have never had wet floorboards again!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so I went to go clean my sunroof drains today and my damn battery was dead and I didn't have anyway to jump the car off. I did decide to revisit my trunk drais. One of which had dried mud caked up around it. I took a spool of weed eater line (.105 diameter) and ran it through the drain. Holes until the line can out under the car. Poured some water down the hole because one side had some resistance as I was snaking it. Resnaked it with the trimmer line until I could pull the yellow line out with no dirt. Poured more water and now it is draining like a champ. Will do the same for the roof later this week.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Awesome! Glad you found something at least! Hopefully that will take care of it!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found the leak! Its coming from the hose attached to the sunroof drain pan. I opened the sunroof, poured some water in the drain hole with the A-pillar cover off and found the water running from behind the headliner. Guess I can go ahead and recover the headliner while I am at it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Found the leak! Its coming from the hose attached to the sunroof drain pan. I opened the sunroof, poured some water in the drain hole with the A-pillar cover off and found the water running from behind the headliner. Guess I can go ahead and recover the headliner while I am at it.
Do you have an update on how you fixed the issue? I'm having the same issue on the passenger side. The drain tube drains fine but if the water gets along the rail it ends up leaking down the A pillar on passenger side.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you have an update on how you fixed the issue? I'm having the same issue on the passenger side. The drain tube drains fine but if the water gets along the rail it ends up leaking down the A pillar on passenger side.
One of my hoses was loose at the sunroof. The factory manual shows clamps but, my car didn't have them. I just took all the hoses off and slipped clamps then reinstalled.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wpuld also advise cleaning your drains while working on this. After repairing the hoses, i took a water bottle and poured some water in the sunroof while the roof was open into the drains. Then I took some weed eater trimmer line (really thin kind) and and slow fed into the holes while twisting. If you run into resistance, pull back and pour more water and reinsert line. Keep doing this until the line comes out under the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts