Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Stocker
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been looking into this subject for a little bit now and I wanted to get your guys opinion on it. I looked this subject up on the forums and found that it could help run boost and more. But I have also found that it could help with increased hp, and has mileage. My question today is, is it any good? Will it jack up my engine at all? I've heard mixed reviews about it, but I could of read them wrong. Also, how much of a performance increase is it? And is there a specific dealer who sells these rather than the general Amazon or something else (I'm fine with buying from Amazon, it just I want to open up my options). Thanks guys!

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Water injection is used in diesels, not gasoline motors for the most part. It serves as an inert medium that takes up space in the chamber and absorbs heat which increases compression while decreasing burn temps.

The deal is you need a TON of compression to do straight water injection, no 3g ever would see any gain in any way shape or form from the type of water injection the OP is talking about.

Water/meth injection like thermaltake is using is done with forced induced cars as an intercooler to help prevent knock. It is set on a pressure switch so it only comes on during WOT, highest pressure/heat circumstances.

Plain water injection like the OP is thinking is used in diesels even at cruising conditions for the reasons I stated above. It soaks up heat and increases compression which is the bane of diesel existence. Motors are built around water injection. You do not add it to anything that already exists as anything that runs without it is not extreme enough to see worthy gains from it. Putting it in a 3g would result in major misfiring, knock and fouled spark plugs.

·
Registered
263 Posts
In the 70s they marketed water injection as a way to increase fuel mileage, and it was largely a hoax. The heat in the combustion process usually isn't even enough to break down the water molecule, so it does not effect the O2 sensor readings and does not change fuel trim.

Even with water methanol on a boosted application I recommend starting with a very clean intake and intake ports as the water/meth acts as a solvent and can free up large chunks of carbon in the intake tract which can potentially cause engine damage.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Its not that you will for sure see major damage other than it running bad, but you could, and it won't be for any benefit. So you are just opening up to the possibility for nothing. If you go turbocharged and use water/methanol there are some major advantages, but until then just leave it alone.

·
Stocker
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its not that you will for sure see major damage other than it running bad, but you could, and it won't be for any benefit. So you are just opening up to the possibility for nothing. If you go turbocharged and use water/methanol there are some major advantages, but until then just leave it alone.
oh okay, i just might buy a Nitrous Oxide kit since I cannot afford turbo at the current moment and i want to get a little extra hp out of the car.

·
Willful Aspirer
'03 Eclipse Spyder GTS '11 Evo MR-T SSS
2,361 Posts
oh okay, i just might buy a Nitrous Oxide kit since I cannot afford turbo at the current moment and i want to get a little extra hp out of the car.
From my understanding you're really not going to be able to just get a kit and see gains, you're going to have to spend a couple thousand more just so you can handle any amount of pressure to see decent gains even with Nitrous and not a turbo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts