Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I recently bought a 2003 3g eclipse GTS & im running into a water leakage issue. Since the time I’ve had my car and it has rained pretty bad in my area. I have had the inside of my car flood 2 times!! Now when I got the car my amp which in under my passenger seat, was not working. Due to the possible flood inside of the car that has happened to the previous owner as well. The first time it happened my amplifier was shot. Everything was ruined. The wires were in tack but I had to buy my second amplifier. After the flooding, I checked my sunroof and the left drain hole was dry but the right drain hole had water. I believed that that was the cause to my flooding. The second time my car was flooded, I didnt have that issue. But this time I put a tarp over my car and ran the tarp inside my doors and trunk. Without my knowledge, water crept through the tarp and went inside my vehicle. So now my trunk, passenger side and driver side was now flooded with water. That part was on me. I am wondering if it is the rubber seals on my car that is the issue or what. I am tired of my car gets soaked on the inside of my car. I have already bought so many car parts for this car already and I would hate to have to sell it because of it not being able to stay dry during some rainfall..

·
Registered
155 Posts
Did you do something to clear out the sunroof's right drain hole? It's likely to stay blocked and drain very slowly unless you clear it out. I think there's a how-to in the Garage forum, but if not, there's sure to be plenty of threads of others with the same problem.

If you did clear your drain tube and you're still getting water, I'd take the car through a car wash, or try the old garden hose trick. Sit in the car while someone simulates rain with a hose, and look at the weatherstripping for a leak.

Another common problem is your floor getting wet on the driver's side after running the AC. There's a plastic tube from the AC condenser box, where condensate collects, and is supposed to drain out through the firewall and onto the ground. But the rubber seals deteriorates and water trickles back into the cabin. The pass-through is near the accelerator. I fixed mine with a bunch of butyl tape. Again, there are many pics and some posts describing this.

Finally, if you're having problems with the car, search the forums for answers. If you can't find something, start a post. You'll get better advice here than on FB; but it's slower.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The drains in the door jambs are also a culprit. Mine were clogged and to some extent I had a wet drivers side, but it was mostly the passenger side was clogged so bad water ran up under the door just below the speaker and once got so clogged water backed all the way up the sunroof tubes and spilled water out of the headliner when I took a turn.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you do something to clear out the sunroof's right drain hole? It's likely to stay blocked and drain very slowly unless you clear it out. I think there's a how-to in the Garage forum, but if not, there's sure to be plenty of threads of others with the same problem.

If you did clear your drain tube and you're still getting water, I'd take the car through a car wash, or try the old garden hose trick. Sit in the car while someone simulates rain with a hose, and look at the weatherstripping for a leak.

Another common problem is your floor getting wet on the driver's side after running the AC. There's a plastic tube from the AC condenser box, where condensate collects, and is supposed to drain out through the firewall and onto the ground. But the rubber seals deteriorates and water trickles back into the cabin. The pass-through is near the accelerator. I fixed mine with a bunch of butyl tape. Again, there are many pics and some posts describing this.

Finally, if you're having problems with the car, search the forums for answers. If you can't find something, start a post. You'll get better advice here than on FB; but it's slower.
Thanks for your help. Sorry for the late response. But I took my car to a self washing car wash a few days ago and was inside of my car and when the pressurized water was hitting my passenger side. I realized water was coming in from my tweeter. The speaker that sits right behind my right side mirror. I saw water running through and going down my down. It wasn’t alot but it definitely is not supposed to be like that. Was very strange. I am going to a Mitsubishi dealership soon to buy new weather strip seals. If that doesn’t fix my issue, I will look into my tweeter speaker and see how is water coming in from there. Appreciate your help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts