Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[SOLVED] Water puddles on the driver's side carpet (2000 GT) Help!

Hey all,

So I'm having this f#[email protected] problem - the driver's side carpet is wet when it's raining (and after the rain.)

1) I thought that the problem is caused by the leaking sunroof, so I sealed it. There is no possible way that the water could enter the car that way.

2) There were suggestions about the A/C. I don't use A/C I'm just using the heater without turning the A/C on. I think it cannot be the heater that's causing the issue.

3) The car is lowered. Is this possible that the splashing water from the street is entering the car ? Maybe the inner fenders are poorly designed or something?

Please give me some suggestions before I tear the damn carpet off the floor.

Problem solved - in my case it was the rubber grommet underneath the driver side fender.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
My first two guesses would be the drain in the A/C plenum is clogged (the A/C typically runs with the defroster), or you have a leaking heater core...

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My first two guesses would be the drain in the A/C plenum is clogged (the A/C typically runs with the defroster), or you have a leaking heater core...
That's true - I use rear window defroster. But when I turn it on the A/C light stays orange so it looks like it's turned off... weird stuff...
How do I unclog the A/C drain??

chances are clogged AC drain, or heater core. Is it water, or antifreeze?
It looks like water, it doesn't smell and it's clear. My best guess - it's water. I'll taste it tomorrow to make sure :ndance:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's definitely water. How do I fix this?

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have the same problem but its on my passenger side...i believe its my windshield leaking though have no idea how it can be leaking, cause i have condensation on inside of the windows and i have water dripping on the inside...im guessing its dripping down the pillar and gettng to the floor, cause my whole front passenger and driver side it soaked...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the same problem but its on my passenger side...i believe its my windshield leaking though have no idea how it can be leaking, cause i have condensation on inside of the windows and i have water dripping on the inside...im guessing its dripping down the pillar and gettng to the floor, cause my whole front passenger and driver side it soaked...
My problem is slightly different. It only affects driver's side, and it looks like it's getting wet down there whether it's raining or not.

Were you trying to fix this? Or you just park the car in a garage and live with that?

I'm waiting for the first 50F+ sunny weather and I'm tearing the carpet off the floor. I'm curious what's underneath. I'll probably findy my ol' friend RUSTy :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
My problem is slightly different. It only affects driver's side, and it looks like it's getting wet down there whether it's raining or not.

Were you trying to fix this? Or you just park the car in a garage and live with that?

I'm waiting for the first 50F+ sunny weather and I'm tearing the carpet off the floor. I'm curious what's underneath. I'll probably findy my ol' friend RUSTy :)
Yea im gona wait till its gets little warmer to look at it...i have a garage and the car is usually in it, but it was left outside for the past 3 rain storms so it got the carpet real wet im deff gonna have to replace it prob....but yea quicker u rip carpet up and can prob stop it from rusting underneath if it does..But yea ur prob is prob the a/c thing everyone talks about

·
Registered
1,690 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Do you have a power wire run through your car?
:scratch: I got amplifier mounted on the back of the passenger's side back seat. I haven't installed it. It came with the car. Do you think someone screwed up and didn't properly seal the hole in the firewall? Is the amp power wire usually on the driver's side?

It's strange cause the water accumulates on the floor even though it's not raining [It's definitely not anti-freeze (anti-freeze wouldn't froze right?)]. Now it's so cold out there that I have little ice rink on the floor :)

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
:scratch: I got amplifier mounted on the back of the passenger's side back seat. I haven't installed it. It came with the car. Do you think someone screwed up and didn't properly seal the hole in the firewall? Is the amp power cable usually on the driver's side?

It's strange cause the water accumulates on the floor even though it's not raining [It's definitely not anti-freeze (anti-freeze wouldn't froze right?)]. Now it's so cold out there that I have little ice rink on the floor :)
Gotcha...I wasn't sure where that idea came from. As far as which side the power cable is on...who knows how froggy the installer felt that day. As far as whether or not they sealed it properly, I don't know what you want any of us to tell you...it's a 50-50 guess...yes they did or no they didn't...there's no way any of us would know...you're just going to have to look under there and see...:ugh2:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gotcha...I wasn't sure where that idea came from. As far as which side the power cable is on...who knows how froggy the installer felt that day. As far as whether or not they sealed it properly, I don't know what you want any of us to tell you...it's a 50-50 guess...yes they did or no they didn't...there's no way any of us would know...you're just going to have to look under there and see...:ugh2:
I don't know man... :twothumb:

I just liked the theory of clogged A/C drain plug... I was going to try to unclog it on Sunday... I have good feeling that I'll waste at least 3h and don't fix the shit.

Oh well I'll just buy a pair of galoshes and the rain coat and I'll use it for the driving purposes :rofl:

·
GTSEclipse
2,014 Posts
Look under the steering column (sp?), by all the wiring and you should see a rubber gromite (sp?). If it is not popped back in you will get water coming in all the time. When i got my audio system installed they never plugged right and i was getting a lot of water, not to mention the mildew smell.

·
Senior Member VIP
49 Posts
Its the heater core...if you dont want to get another one just bypass it with a coupler and cap the others. I had the same problem

·
Shut up.
3,700 Posts
Its the heater core...if you dont want to get another one just bypass it with a coupler and cap the others. I had the same problem
So thats means you will NOT have heat now...did i read this correctly? If so why would you do that :scratch: I mean....i live in KY, and it gets pretty cold here

*edit* I now see you live in TX But still...no heater....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts