Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Turbo Buick > you
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, my LIC has a 4.5x4.5x10" core. Im pondering whether or not i should just use the windshield washer tank as a water reservior. However, the WW tank only hold 5 quarts of water. Is that going to be enough liquid to support my liquid intercooler system or should i opt for a 2 or 3 gallon container?

The core itself will hold about 3 quarts of water.....

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
callmeebryan said:
Well, my LIC has a 4.5x4.5x10" core. Im pondering whether or not i should just use the windshield washer tank as a water reservior. However, the WW tank only hold 5 quarts of water. Is that going to be enough liquid to support my liquid intercooler system or should i opt for a 2 or 3 gallon container?

The core itself will hold about 3 quarts of water.....

So you would mount it all the way in the trunk and run lines to the front? You will probably have to run small lines like AN6 to keep the pressure from the water pump if you run it all the way from the trunk. Can't you just run circulating system? With no extra container, just small radaiator cooler up front, like a oil cooler and then have a loop system which goes from the LIC to the radiator and then back to the LIC?

·
Turbo Buick > you
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Clipse3GT said:
So you would mount it all the way in the trunk and run lines to the front? You will probably have to run small lines like AN6 to keep the pressure from the water pump if you run it all the way from the trunk. Can't you just run circulating system? With no extra container, just small radaiator cooler up front, like a oil cooler and then have a loop system which goes from the LIC to the radiator and then back to the LIC?
No dude, ill be mounting the tank under the passenger side headlight..... behind where the foglight would be... If i take the windshield washer tank out, i have 10x10x14" of space there.....

Its better to have a reservior because it aids in keeping the water as cool as possible (IE, the more water the better).

The reason i cant do it without a reservior is because there is no other place to put water in to the system... i would have to like.... take a hose off the heat exchanger and put a garden hose into that to fill it with water lol....

I think im just going to get this 2 gallon fuel cell.

If not, ill just have the guy who welded my dads racks for his f-350 to custom make me a water tank... That would probably be the cheapest way to go...

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
callmeebryan said:
No dude, ill be mounting the tank under the passenger side headlight..... behind where the foglight would be... If i take the windshield washer tank out, i have 10x10x14" of space there.....

Its better to have a reservior because it aids in keeping the water as cool as possible (IE, the more water the better).

The reason i cant do it without a reservior is because there is no other place to put water in to the system... i would have to like.... take a hose off the heat exchanger and put a garden hose into that to fill it with water lol....

I think im just going to get this 2 gallon fuel cell.

If not, ill just have the guy who welded my dads racks for his f-350 to custom make me a water tank... That would probably be the cheapest way to go...
What ever works for you. Either one would work.

·
Turbo Buick > you
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fasteclipse00 said:
Could you even add water to the tank, if it is not mounted at the highest point in the system?
yes, because you have the pump right next to the bottom of the tank....

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
callmeebryan said:
yes, because you have the pump right next to the bottom of the tank....
I don't think you understand what he is saying and I don't feel like helping you with physics... :fawk:

·
Turbo Buick > you
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PharmEcis said:
I don't think you understand what he is saying and I don't feel like helping you with physics... :fawk:
Well, you figure you would fill the tank up to full and then run the system... law of conservation of mass tells you objects are neither created nor destroyed in a chemical reaction.... you do the math :)

As long as the reservior has the capacity to hold all of the water in the system, you can put it anywhere.

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
So when the system is running your resevour will not be holding full capacity because you didn't bleed or completely fill your system and your exchanger will be holding 3qts itself plus whatever is in the lines...

I think that is the point he was making.

·
Turbo Buick > you
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PharmEcis said:
So when the system is running your resevour will not be holding full capacity because you didn't bleed or completely fill your system and your exchanger will be holding 3qts itself plus whatever is in the lines...

I think that is the point he was making.
Yes that is true... im saying that as long as the reservior has the capacity to hold the amount of water throughout the entire system, you can then mount the reservior anywhere you want....

fasteclipse00 said:
A couple valves could keep the water in the system while filling.
What exactly do you mean by valve? If you mean check valves, then yes i may be getting 1 or 2 of those so that the water does not decide to flow the wrong way...

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
I use a modded fuel cell for my container. It's mounted under the drivers side headlight to keep the lines as far away from the motor as possible (helps steer away from heat soak). When the pump is off all of the water drains back into the resivor. It only takes a few seconds for the pump to start pulling water through the system so don't worry about needing any valves. I also have the pump wired to a relay so I can turn it on and off at will (you don't always need it to run. Something else I did, I drilled a few small pin holes in the top of my resivor to release the preasure off of the system. Runs like a champ. Just a thought...if you haven't yet purchased a pump. I went to a RV dealer to get mine. Odd I know but you can get one that RV's use to circulate the drinking water. I did this so I could get one that has stainless componets so you don't have to worry about the pump rusting on you.

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Well you could run the water pump and system with a little mix of coolant or with some water wetter. That should prevent a little rust from forming on the components. Like 70/30 mix or something mostly water with a bit of coolant.

·
Turbo Buick > you
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
snipershrk1 said:
I use a modded fuel cell for my container. It's mounted under the drivers side headlight to keep the lines as far away from the motor as possible (helps steer away from heat soak). When the pump is off all of the water drains back into the resivor. It only takes a few seconds for the pump to start pulling water through the system so don't worry about needing any valves. I also have the pump wired to a relay so I can turn it on and off at will (you don't always need it to run. Something else I did, I drilled a few small pin holes in the top of my resivor to release the preasure off of the system. Runs like a champ. Just a thought...if you haven't yet purchased a pump. I went to a RV dealer to get mine. Odd I know but you can get one that RV's use to circulate the drinking water. I did this so I could get one that has stainless componets so you don't have to worry about the pump rusting on you.
Ya ive been looking at the jabsco centri puppy 18510-0020 marine water pump. 12v dc continous pump. They are very had to find for a good price under 170$, but i did see one come and go on ebay for like 60$!!!! Pisses me off i should have jumped on it.

What is the exact model of your pump? Whats the flow rate? And is it self priming? And finally, do you have any pictures of your system?

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
I don't even remember the flow rate on it. It's been quite a while since I have had to mess with it. It is however a self priming pump, I wanted to be able to put it anywhere on the system I wanted to. this is how I have it set up. Right behind my driver side headlight I have the pump mounted. Below the headlight is where the fuel cell is right next to the air filter. From there the water runs through the condensor and up into the IC and then back out to the water pump and it starts all over.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts