Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently discovered a leak under the passenger floor mat of my 04 GTS.

It's not the AC leaking, as I haven't run that in months.

I had a few drops of water fall out from the column between the windshield and the door one morning, which I cannot explain. But that can't explain the vast majority of the water under the passenger floor mat.

From what I read on here, the issue may be with the passenger side sunroof drainage tube. I used some weed whacker line to make sure that any blockages were cleared. I think some extra water did come out, but how would so much more water make it under the carpet?
I also read that the sunroof drain tube may be cracked. I believe it also said that a new tube could be installed inside the old one, using silicone on the outside? Is this true? or otherwise, how would I install the new tube?

Or what other solution should I be looking for?

Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Had a similar situation with my 01 GS. Drivers floor had 3" of water sitting after a hard rain. Mine ended up being the rear hatch seal. Only when I parked with the nose downhill would this happen. Drain tubes were open, but when parked downhill, the water would pool further up the seal and start leaking in. Re-adjusted the striker and hatch stops to pull the hatch tighter to resolve this. Seeing as you actually saw water dripping front the a-pillar area, I would say you're on the right track though. Also be sure to check for rust pinholes along the windshield and around the sunroof. Found a pinhole at the edge of the roof and rear hatch on another..

·
Registered
335 Posts
Blow compressed air through the drain. 9/10 it's clogged from neglect and not being cleaned as often as it should. Water test it after. If I remember correctly, it gets dumped somewhere behind the front wheel.
I've had to clean the tubes multiple times on several 3G's. Usually it's scooping mud and debris out of the corners and rinsing the tubes out.

BTW the front drain tubes drain behind each front fender, about 6-8" from the inner edge of the door.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Does anyone have any pictures of these drain holes? I am looking on my 03' GTS and I am not seeing them. My driver side floor is soaked. Just spent and hour sucking almost a gallon of water out of the floor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
"I had a few drops of water fall out from the column between the windshield and the door one morning, which I cannot explain. But that can't explain the vast majority of the water under the passenger floor mat."

On my 2001 GT, the passenger side front floor matt would be soaked after it rained, so I took pictures while I fixed it... Hope this helps with your problem. The base of the sunroof is actually sort of a pan with rubber drain hoses attached to nipples at the extreme front corners of the sunroof. Surprisingly, I found the black rubber drain hose was simply pressed onto the nipple and, after 180K miles, the hose fell off the nipple. This allowed water to flow from the nipple and behind the roof pillar cover and onto the floor matt. The fix was to simply reattach the hose and secure it with a hose clamp I had. In order to access the hose and nipple you'll need to drop the headliner several inches. To do this: 1)Remove the sun visor-three screws 2) Remove the roof pillar cover-pry with a plastic tool and pop off. 3) Drop the front of headliner several inches to access drain hose. The fix on the driver's side is exactly the same. On mine on the driver's side, the hose was still attached without a clamp, so I added one.
Sun Visor and Switch Cover.jpg
Sun Visor and Switch Cover removed from Headliner.jpg
Roof Pillar Cover.jpg
Roof Pillar with Cover removed.jpg
Rear of Roof Pillar Cover.jpg
Rear of Roof Pillar Cover.jpg
Pointing to Drain Hose and Nipple.jpg
Drain Hose clamped onto Nipple.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
I forgot to mention in the text that you'll need to remove the sun roof switch cover as shown in the first two photos. It snaps in place and you need to squeeze it to get it unhooked.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Was it just your passage side getting soaked? My driver side is soaked. I am going to pull the headliner and check the hose. I had water in my fuse box it was so bad.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry I haven't been on the site in awhile. How did you make out? I took the headliner down on the driver's side and found it to be identical to the passenger side-no hose clamp, So, I added a hose clamp. No leaks now for ten months.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello! Sorry for the long delay in reply!

So I was able to clear out the sunroof hoses, and all seemed well. Problem is, it turned out that I had a leak on the Driver's side do that I didn't initially know about. So I had to pull up the carpet in the front and let it dry out before mold really set in. The water seemed pretty localized in the front, but I want to check in the back, too. Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to pull the seats right now, so I'm just kinda winging it.

After I discovered the Driver's side leak, I checked the passenger side, which was still dry. So hopefully the leak is solved. I'll keep checking, though. Thanks to everyone for the advice!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are the copper lines apart of the drain system? I do not see a function for these.
Yes the copper lines drain the water from the area around the sunroof. The black rubber hose connects to the copper lines and feeds down the inside of the door post.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts