Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SPYDEY MF!
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this might be a noob question, but I have just been doing some thinking and weighing my options. Ever since dyno day last weekend and seeing all those turbo'ed cars, I been looking for more things to do. I had originally planned to go the bolt on route and do:

-RPW 3-1 Long Tube Headers with custom downpipe and HFC
-RPW Stage 1/2 camshaft (if stage 2, rpw valve springs)
-RPW Intake Manifold with 65 MM TB
-Fuel Pressure Regulator
-Plugs and Wires (I know these don't really improve power, but still a good upgrade)
-S-AFC II with a strict tune to squeeze as much power out as possible
-2400 Stall Torque Converter with tranny cooler

But then I keep encountering all these turbo cars and hearing that turbo spool up and those blow off valves popping off, just sends chills down my back. My question is...if I was to order a Tearstone Turbo kit (or any other completed kit), could I order the Ripp Mod 8.5:1 Weisco Pistons and have them installed and then put the turbo kit on and be ok? From everything I heard, the combination of weak pistons and higher compression is what hurts the GTS motor when it comes to boost. Would I be able to run a turbo kit safely from 6-8 psi with those upgraded pistons or would I still have to build my block? I really can't afford $8k+ for turbo kit and a raceblock so I am trying to think of other alternatives. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

ps, here is a link to the pistons program page incase anyone hasn't seen it.
http://www.rippmods.com/products/products_list_details.asp?menuid=3&productId=155

·
Lance Corporal
3,953 Posts
Thats all most of the RIPP Stage 2+ guys do is drop in a set of forged pistons. And weve seen them go to 25+ psi. I think you should be just fine doin that.

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
You know, if you run a GTS that it is simply recommended to upgrade your pistons if your looking to make any decent amount of power out of that engine without tearing up the pistons that are in there.

We have a run of V6 kits finishing up production soon and if you need some V6 pistons in stock or aftermarket bore just let me know, I've been getting a lot of requests just for pistons lately. So we have those available for anyone that is interested :dunno:

·
SPYDEY MF!
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i find this pretty interesting because it won't be that much more of an expensive option (FI on a GTS) compared to turboing the GT. I might consider this if I don't have to build my block, just dropping in pistons and then slapping on a nice tearstone turbo kit. Tear, does RPW have aftermarket stronger pistons or do you carry any? If so, what type of price? The RIPP Mod Weisco ones were $799.

·
Zed oh six
6,234 Posts
ARACHNO said:
well i find this pretty interesting because it won't be that much more of an expensive option (FI on a GTS) compared to turboing the GT. I might consider this if I don't have to build my block, just dropping in pistons and then slapping on a nice tearstone turbo kit. Tear, does RPW have aftermarket stronger pistons or do you carry any? If so, what type of price? The RIPP Mod Weisco ones were $799.
We carry CP pistons. Thats what I have in my car, and also what I recommend :)

·
SPYDEY MF!
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tear, would it be cheaper to buy pistons and have them put in or just buy the race block? My dad said if I was to get pistons, the whole engine has to be taken apart and that all the bearings and all that will have to be changed and it will be basically the same as a full rebuild. But if I am understanding right, the raceblock includes everything I will need, just have it installed and then put motor back together and then put the turbo/ SDS on? If you could help me out better understanding this, I would appreciate it. From what I can tell, the raceblock already has the crankshaft and pistons installed, all it needs to be done is installed and the rest of the motor put back together. But if I was to replace just pistons, I would have to have the whole thing taken apart and rebuilt? I am a little confused here. Let me know. Thanks.

·
SPYDEY MF!
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tear, i've also haven't completely ruled out SDS Stage 1. do you HONESTLY know for 100% that Stage 1 SDS cannot be run safely on stock internals GTS motor? It runs at 6 psi from what I understand. I really don't want to do the bottom end unless I absolutely have to. I would love to be able to run the stage 1 sds safely and just be happy. I am NOT looking to go to stage 2 or 3, stage 1 would be sufficient. Let me get your input if you would be so kind to help. Thanks.

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
ARACHNO said:
Email me for a price quote, I'm honestly not sure what type of pistons RPW carries and I highly doubt I will ever sale their pistons for this platform in the US.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts