Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, About 10k mi. ago I installed an ACT 2100 in my 01 GS. It has been a little stiff, but no major probs.

Today while driving on the freeway, I went to downshift into fourth, and I heard a clunk (sort of a breaking sound) and I lost ALL clutch pressure. I pulled over, clutch hydraulic system looked good, but the release fork was completely loose. I could move it up, down, back, forth, IN!, OUT! As I was 60 mi. from home I had to have it towed to an out of town Pepboys. Hopefully I won't have to pay out the ass for labor.

Question: what do you think is wrong? Is it the release bearing? release fork pivot? Did the release fork itself break? Also, was this caused by the increased pressure from the ACT clutch? Has anyone had this problem, looking for input.

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
First of all you say you cant shift into any gear. I know what the problem is I think. If you remove your battery and battery tray about 6 bolts. Under there is the shifter linkage. There are two rubber bushings there. Those were out and sometimes the linkage cables will slip of the bushing. Thus you cannot shift into gears. I would check if that's not your problem.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It could also be worn/broken fingers in the pressure plate.
I just put in ACT 2100 10k mi. ago, I hope it's not the pressure plate.
First of all you say you cant shift into any gear. I know what the problem is I think. If you remove your battery and battery tray about 6 bolts. Under there is the shifter linkage. There are two rubber bushings there. Those were out and sometimes the linkage cables will slip of the bushing. Thus you cannot shift into gears. I would check if that's not your problem.
The shifter/cables/trans seem fine, I am able to shift gears with engine off. The problem (seems) to be clutch related.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the link fasteclipse00, I don't think I've seen that before. Looks like i'll be paying out the ass for Pepboys to replace some inexpensive parts. If it had happened closer to home I would have tackled it myself, but I guess I'm sol.

·
Psychotic
941 Posts
I have the same problem when i drive for long time!

When it happens i have to pull over and let it cool down for a few min then it works fine as long as i drive below 60 otherwise i lose all presure on the pedal any one have any ideas???

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
I have the same problem when i drive for long time!

When it happens i have to pull over and let it cool down for a few min then it works fine as long as i drive below 60 otherwise i lose all presure on the pedal any one have any ideas???
Sounds like your clutch is getting too hot or has improper cooling.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just talked to Pepboys, they said that the fork is broken. they also want to replace the slave and master cylinder. They gave me a ballpark figure of $800 - $1100. $1100 if they have to replace the clutch. Now I'm considering having it towed 60 mi. to my house and doing it myself. Any idea how much towing would cost?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I called Pepboys, told them "don't touch!":nono: I'm gona bring my eclipse back on a trailer and do the work myself. Thanks for the idea guys, I don't know why I didn't think of that. Looks like the release fork is available online for only $36. I'm also gona replace the release bearing $25, and probably rebuild the slave and master cylinders, $10 and $26. $200 (including trailer) sounds much better than $1000, even with all the time it will take me.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well yesterday I rented a trailer and towed my eclipse home. Now I just have to rip it apart. As I thought, the release fork was the problem. It is split right in half !

Is it possible that the pressure from my after-market clutch caused this, or is it more likely that it was failing anyway? Has anyone else had this problem? I'm just wondering if the replacement will break before long as well. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ok, About 10k mi. ago I installed an ACT 2100 in my 01 GS. It has been a little stiff, but no major probs.

Today while driving on the freeway, I went to downshift into fourth, and I heard a clunk (sort of a breaking sound) and I lost ALL clutch pressure. I pulled over, clutch hydraulic system looked good, but the release fork was completely loose. I could move it up, down, back, forth, IN!, OUT! As I was 60 mi. from home I had to have it towed to an out of town Pepboys. Hopefully I won't have to pay out the ass for labor.

Question: what do you think is wrong? Is it the release bearing? release fork pivot? Did the release fork itself break? Also, was this caused by the increased pressure from the ACT clutch? Has anyone had this problem, looking for input.
When paying to fix the cltuch ( AND NOT PEP BOYS) it is cheaper in the long run to replace the whole clutch system completebecause of the billing time to just open up the transmission. How many miles are of the clutch in this vehicle? I put in lifetime clutches from Pep Boys due to them exchanging without any problems. The heavy duty clutch system complete is under $200. and then I buy the rest of the parts from the dealer( like the clutch fork).

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
713 Posts
@man300mmello … You just replied to a post that is 14 years old... Last time we heard from this member was in 2016... It is highly unlikely you will get an answer to your question.
If you look to the right of your avatar... where the conversation begins, you will see the number of the post and the date. Please have an eye for this. Bringing back an outdated post just clutters the website.
For this reason, I have taken you off my Christmas list. I have contacted the Tooth Fairy and also the Easter Bunny. Don't expect any presents for your birthday, either.:giggle: Bad boy....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts