Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 01 gt, and its having (what i think is a sensor) issues in the transmision. it has the semi-auto in it, but when i switch into drive, the lights on N and D light up like its in gear for both and it acts like its in neutral. any ideas on whats going on and how to fix it?

·
lit up
4,334 Posts
wave spring says FUK YOU. though i genuinely hope that is not the case here. trans rebuilds are in the $3k area, which in the current eclipse market, is better spent on a new car...

on my '01, the wave spring de-laminated, some of the bits got sucked into the trans fluid pump, and blew the pump up.

one second it was driving fine, turned a corner, went to roll on the gas a little, and car acts like it's in neutral... that was a $3k re-build, back when the car was worth $10k..

from my limited understanding of it, the wave spring de-laminating was a very common issue with age for the car. the trans guy told me there was an updated design that he used when mine got rebuilt, but didn't know if it was ever installed from the factory at any time.

easy way to check is to drain the fluid-- there will be bits of black metal that can be pulled apart like mica.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts