Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Well, She's (SDS) in...

90K views 1K replies 70 participants last post by  repforenzo 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread is long, so I've created an index (currently the page number don't match to the content because of the change of the forum format. I'll be working on that. I'll also be adding all the pictures that were removed by a certain bullshit photo cloud service. ;) )

INDEX

Page/ Topic
1/ Getting started; First tune in closed loop.
2/ First ZT-2 /EvoScan datalog with lean condition;
Aeromotive 1:1 FPR and –6AN connectors installation.
3/ Deyeme motor mounts install; Walbro 190 install;
Tuning in Open Loop.
4/ Baroscope; 100% Load issue; First Dyno.
5/ Log from Dyno; Bent valves at track; Long block Rebuild.
6/ 440 cc injectors ordered, Long block build.
7/ Track time; Oil leaks at cams, installed Ingall's Stiffy, and VR-4 fuel rail.
8/ Vortech SFMU install; SDS removed/serviced.
9/ Long block rebuild #2; VR-4 head gaskets; Pulse Plugs install; Walbro 255 install.
10/ 10 psi; Wastegate as boost controller discussion; 2nd track time.
11/ Boost Cooler install; Photos of setup; Emissions preparation; Invidia N1 removal.
12/ Heat shield; Passing emissions; boost cooler test/first trials.
13/ SDS weld cracks, removal of butterflies, ignition wire discussion.
14/ SDS weld repaired, B-day Cake, 10.7 psi, Megan OE-RS install, misc. discussion
15/ Stage 2 with wastegate discussion, Draw-thru piping pic, Quaife and FX300 bought, Big Map.
16/ More Big Map discussion, LSD install, Brembos being prepped for install. New rims and tires.
17/ Brembos, Front Lip, Oil Catch Can, Stage 2 axles, and EVO TB seals installed. Datalogged 11.4 psi and finally hit high 13's in 1/4. Extra V-5 and V-2 SDSs. Center Section redone.
18/ BOV failed and replaced, new built block installation, new Damond venting oil catch can. Rebuilt Engine spun rod bearing. Rebuild the Rebuild. Heads with RPW valve springs.

I got my SDS in. It would have been nice if GCT sent me couplers so I could actually hook it up to the TB! Idiots.

The good thing is, even though the blower is just blowing into to engine bay freely (and loudly, I might add), it gives me a chance to be sure that all the belt tolerances, oil feed lines, and the blower, are working properly under a light load.

For example, I noticed, after a light 8-mile drive, a little bit of oil at the outlet of the blower. I wiped it clean, and if the oil reappears, guess who gets to go to Vortech's factory for new oil seals? :rant2: Better now than later...

So, anyhow hope to have a local shop finish the piping this week for me and be on with it. I plan on documenting the install in a separate thread when I was completely done, but I thought some of you would like to see how I altered my CAI. :twothumb: Enjoy!

My mods list that I will update from time to time is here: Repforenzo's 2003 GTS with SDS

See less See more
#3 ·
Wow, that was fast... actually there is a lot of room for my piping there, so I don't plan to relocate the battery.

#9 ·
It actually doesn't... it gets crushed a bit...but it only needs to last until I can get the piping made... plus my car is not a daily driver, so I'm not going far from my house.

icemanrld19 said:
I know there is alot of room but its so much nicer to mess with the engine with that gone. Also reduces everything from getting heat soaked. Relocate it and ill beat u will be happy whenever u want to check out your plug wires
I hear ya Randy, but at this point it is not in my plans. She's a 'garge princess", and I think I only put 800 miles on it for the year. I'll pull out the battery if I need to get in there.

Thanks for all the well wishes

#11 ·
hahaha... good question! i havnt really drove it at all for over a year now. I am re-doing the interior again and its all torn apart. And then i moved to TX from NY, and now its just sittin in the garage waiting to be finished.

the little i drive it, it still runs good....

#19 ·
Phil, if you ever need a hand you can count me in. Free labor rules eh? :p In fact, I still have some left over SDS parts laying around. What piping is it that you need created? I still have a 90 degree intake pipe to the tb from Ripp that doesn't have the bosses for the 06 fuel upgrades. I probably also have couplers that would work in your situation. For the SDS, a battery relocation isn't necessary specially considering you are using a GTS manifold and most likely won't upgrade to the diamante.

I can't wait to see how your car runs w/ just using the flash. Then you can race my talon that I finally finished up and realize that the 3G even boosted is still slow. :lol:

#21 ·
Thanks Greg, I think I'm covered for now. I'll revisit the battery location once I get the initial tune going. One project at a time...

G
#24 ·
For example, I noticed, after a light 8-mile drive, a little bit of oil at the outlet of the blower. I wiped it clean, and if the oil reappears, guess who gets to go to Vortech's factory for new oil seals? :rant2: Better now than later...
Not sure who you bought your kit from, but they should have told you that spooling up the Vortech with no load is taboo (according to Vortech). You should never free rev your engine either. :nono:

Page 4, Paragraph #6
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/pdf/guides/racefile.pdf

#25 ·
Thanks for the post... and I've read that. They are referring to free-revving where rpm level increases very fast. It has nothing to do with leaving the piping off. I will call them to be sure.

#27 ·
Yeah, right! Something tells me Russ included couplers with the kits that went out.

I'll tell you what, driving that blower does take some power... I can feel its parasitic effects when I drive. Right now, it looks like Tuesday of next week is the earliest I can get the piping on.

#33 ·
I never had an overheating issue and I think I probably have the biggest FMIC out there on a 3G...

Then again.. how many miles did I put on her? :lol:

#34 ·
Great use of space! Honestly, I don't know how you V6 guys do it. I'd have the battery in the trunk before I even had the chance to add a CAI! :lol:

#36 ·
Once you remove the stock air filter system, there is a good amount of room to work with.

ARACHNO said:
looks great man, be sure to get some videos up of that badboy. I'd love to supercharger mine if I had a GT. Rep...are you going with forged internals or the stock? If stock...keep me posted on how it does.

Currently, I am sticking with the stock 10:1 pistons. All the document accounts I've seen with the BB and the 6-psi pulley, the GTS held up fine. I've talked to some of those owners, I guess it has been almost 2-3 years ago, and they had trouble once they moved up to the 9-psi pulley. I still believe with the proper tuning and tuning tools, the GTS can obtain more… ala jbasol with his 15-psi level on stock GT pistons. I’d have to be sure the ECU Flash can give me that type of control before I’d ever consider going there.

For now, I'm keeping my FI fantasies realistic. I really wanted to get this car up to the power level it should have been designed for in the first place. The 6-psi pulley will allow me to get there easily. I also want to enjoy it for a bit.

The good news is I am 'on' for getting the piping fitted tomorrow. :hspin:

#39 ·
Yeah, right! Not to mention you can stick your head in there to dry your hair at idle.

I'm starting to like having a J79 jet engine under my hood. :bigthumb:

#40 ·
Didn't get as much done as I would have like to today. The shop didn't have a good stock of 2.5" and 3" piping to make the system. It's on order and we'll try again after Thanksgiving.

#41 ·
Ok, Turkey Day has passed... What's the dealie?! Interested to hear more about your progress!

#47 ·
Running 310s that are currently scaled to '290'. But that was the initial scaling I had for my NA tune. Gonna have to change that... I'm also need to mess a bit more with the latency.

I want to give the ECU a chance to settle down since I just reset it. Cold idle and normal driving are just like stock. AFRs are perfect stoitch during those times. Warm idle is the same as NA with a stumble down to 500 rpm every 30-40 seconds or so... AFRs swing from 12.5-16.0 during that time, and it takes about 10 seconds for that to clear up. Same with deceleration to a stop, the idle will hunt a bit. I have no stalling issues at this point.

#48 ·
Seems to me that the periodic rpm drop to 500rpm is due to the ecu trying to recorrect everything. If you guys can prevent that, then you are made in the shade :bigthumb:.

On a second note, im pretty sure Kris and Matt dont have any rpm drop any time, and cold starts are a snap. (Both have haltechs).

Im insterested to see how things turn out for ya.

#49 ·
Thanks. The weather here is rain and I still have the splash guard off. I plan on securing the MAF a bit more with some bailing wire... I want to do some basic non-boosted driving, get the fuel trims right and see how the ECU reacts with more time.

I did a warm idle log and I'll compare the data with one of my N.A. idles tonite.

#50 ·
Things all sound really good for you man - glad to hear it. Your setup is basically identical to the SDS setup I had planned a while back if I went that route - if all goes well for you it might (once again, sigh) give me something else to think about (currently I'm stuck in the turbo or all out N/A debate with myself). Keep us updated on those things like the oil leak and any other mechanical problems that might crop up, and good luck!

#51 ·
We see how it goes. I've already decided to have new seals put on by Vortech. When I drove around with out the piping, I still saw and felt a tiny bit of oil on the outlet. I'm keeping a close eye on it, and after I make some head way on the tune, I'll pull it to send for refurbishing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.