Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1061 - 1080 of 1106 Posts

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,061 ·
Finally got around to mating the transaxle to the engine. ‘Life’ just gets in the way. Tomorrow it goes in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,062 ·
Happy days.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,064 ·
Lol. I do drive it in the winter. Only when the pavement is bone dry. Otherwise it stays in the garage.... with a blanket on the hood.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Can you tell me the name of the company that built your first engine? I am soon to order an engine for my GTS (assuming seafoam cannot clean the suspected carbon in the rear bank). I am keeping this car as close to factory with the exception of the cold air intake.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,066 · (Edited)
I bought this built engine from Greg.... I can’t recall who did the original modifications.

If you plan on keeping it factory, a refresh with bearings and rings and a hone job might be all you need.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,067 · (Edited)
Got the heads back today! They did a nice mild port and polish for me and put in RPW’s heavier springs. Hopefully I’ll get the gaskets and all the peripherals tomorrow. I can start putting this thing together again.

My engine builder gave me a nice deal on the price. He stands by his work and he was not happy that I had to bring it back to him.... whether it was his fault or mine. Good guy!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hey, I am soon to buy a remanu. Engine for my 03' GTS. I do not want to tune this car because there really isn't anyone in my area capable of doing this. You recommend doing anything special that might add to the longevity of this engine? Any particular company that does good work with a good warranty? Right now I am look at Engines and Transmissions of America. Their price is not bad but, their warranty could provide more time.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,070 ·
Hey, I am soon to buy a remanu. Engine for my 03' GTS. I do not want to tune this car because there really isn't anyone in my area capable of doing this. You recommend doing anything special that might add to the longevity of this engine? Any particular company that does good work with a good warranty? Right now I am look at Engines and Transmissions of America. Their price is not bad but, their warranty could provide more time.
Is the engine running fine now? Burning oil or anything like that? You mention some carbon in the rear bank....

Typically you can find a good machine shop in any area. Do you have to do the research. As I mentioned before, you might just need a refresher rings and bearings and gaskets. It should be way cheaper than getting a refurbished engine.

·
Registered
262 Posts
It runs, but it's bizarre. Sometimes it runs great and other times it runs like ass and wants to stall but, if you give it gas it will staying running. The compression test shows the rear bank pressures are at threshold for two of the three cylinders and slightly below the third (145 psi). My pre cats were clogged due to burning oil from. A bad PCV valve. My buddies dad who is a master mechanic believes it's massive carbon on the valves. The rear pre cat was pasted clogged to the point you could only see light come through a few holes in the honeycomb. I am going to try to pour seafoam in the intake and see if that clears it up, but I don't think it's going to work. My thought is if it was bent/burnt valves then it was run like ass all the time. The only other thing it could be is a cracked head but, I don't know if it would like good sometimes and not other with that.

·
1,131 Posts
It runs, but it's bizarre. Sometimes it runs great and other times it runs like ass and wants to stall but, if you give it gas it will staying running. The compression test shows the rear bank pressures are at threshold for two of the three cylinders and slightly below the third (145 psi). My pre cats were clogged due to burning oil from. A bad PCV valve. My buddies dad who is a master mechanic believes it's massive carbon on the valves. The rear pre cat was pasted clogged to the point you could only see light come through a few holes in the honeycomb. I am going to try to pour seafoam in the intake and see if that clears it up, but I don't think it's going to work. My thought is if it was bent/burnt valves then it was run like ass all the time. The only other thing it could be is a cracked head but, I don't know if it would like good sometimes and not other with that.
Yeah I'd yank the head and diagnose the problem before I went out and bought a reman engine. Could save a lot of money by just fixing the head at a machine shop if that's the problem. If you were going with a salvage engine then I'd say just swap it, but remanufactured engines aint cheap.

Edit: Also we should talk about this more in a separate thread if we want to keep going. Not fair to clog up OP's build thread.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,073 · (Edited)
Please post this in Problem Reports, you might get more responses. I'd like this thread to remain about my SDS build journey. Thx.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,076 ·

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,077 ·
Finally making some progress. Work and family just get in the way sometimes.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,079 · (Edited)
All done! While priming the engine of oil I did a compression check on each cylinder. 170 psi all around... I was surprised how the variance between cylinders was nominal. First start up went very well. Fresh oil and continuing the break-in.

1061 - 1080 of 1106 Posts