Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone and a preemtive THANKS to anyone who can help me with this problem. I have a 2000 Eclipse GT V-6 manual. The battery went bad and I was force to install a battery I had laying around just to get on the road long enough to get a proper replacement. The battery I used was a top post mount but it fit in the slot and the hood closed fine. While I was on the way to get the new one, I started smelling something burning then smoke starts pooring into the cabin area. I immediatly pulled off the road, turned the ignition off and popped the hood. I thought the engine was on fire!! I immediatly noticed that the bold that holds the battery clamp to the positive battery cable had poked through the insulating material and through the insulation under the hood and had come into contact with the underside of the hood causing a direct short circuit. The metal was melted from the arc. After the smoke had cleared, I tried to restart the car, leaving the hood open to avoid the grounding problem. The battery seemed fine, the car tried to start but seemed like it wasn't getting either fuel or fire. Does anyone know where I should start? I found a thread about checking the fuel pump and will do that as soon as it stops raining. I am wondering if anyone has any experiance with this type of problem. Also, there is a little device mounted on top of the front passenger side strut housing which was making this "chirping" noise. Any help would be greatly appreciated and much much needed. Thank you very much for any help!!!!

· Titanium Spork
8,818 Posts
#1 get a good new battery.

THEN start checking fuses... it is unlikely that you blew a fuse doing what you did, but it is cheap and easy to check them all.

· Exacerbated Member
5,325 Posts
When you say the battery seemed fine do you mean it looked fine or it tested fine electrically.

Most automotive batters are made in such a way that when presented with a direct short some or all of the plate straps joining the cells melt inside the shell of the battery so it won’t explode.

My guess is that you no longer have a full 12v and very little current potential.

Like scar says get a new battery first.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By the battery seemed fine I mean it looks fine and it was cranking the engine normally. I just went out and put a volt meter on it and it ichecks out at 14.4V. However, the engine will not crank at all now. I'm checking the fuses. . . .with crossed fingers!!!

· TxTuning.com
6,673 Posts
By the battery seemed fine I mean it looks fine and it was cranking the engine normally. I just went out and put a volt meter on it and it ichecks out at 14.4V. However, the engine will not crank at all now. I'm checking the fuses. . . .with crossed fingers!!!
either the 120 right on the positive terminal, or the 'engine' labeled fuses that you can find under the fuse box lid.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Super sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK. . .I found a blown fuse. . .the 30A ignition fuse was blown. . .There is 1 other fuse just like it which is for the power windows. . .When I put the power windows fuse into the ignition fuse slot. . .presto! the car cranks right up!!! WoW thats awsome!!!! You guys are awsome!!! Thank you all soooo much for the help!!!! I will get a proper battery and another fuse for the windows and I'm back in business!! To boot, I learned how to fix the "watery floor boards" while searching through these threads!!! Its like getting 2 birds with just one stone!!! Thanks again everyone!!! You have made my week!!! :eek3:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.