Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone and a preemtive THANKS to anyone who can help me with this problem. I have a 2000 Eclipse GT V-6 manual. The battery went bad and I was force to install a battery I had laying around just to get on the road long enough to get a proper replacement. The battery I used was a top post mount but it fit in the slot and the hood closed fine. While I was on the way to get the new one, I started smelling something burning then smoke starts pooring into the cabin area. I immediatly pulled off the road, turned the ignition off and popped the hood. I thought the engine was on fire!! I immediatly noticed that the bold that holds the battery clamp to the positive battery cable had poked through the insulating material and through the insulation under the hood and had come into contact with the underside of the hood causing a direct short circuit. The metal was melted from the arc. After the smoke had cleared, I tried to restart the car, leaving the hood open to avoid the grounding problem. The battery seemed fine, the car tried to start but seemed like it wasn't getting either fuel or fire. Does anyone know where I should start? I found a thread about checking the fuel pump and will do that as soon as it stops raining. I am wondering if anyone has any experiance with this type of problem. Also, there is a little device mounted on top of the front passenger side strut housing which was making this "chirping" noise. Any help would be greatly appreciated and much much needed. Thank you very much for any help!!!!