Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im up in the air with this one guys:dunno:. I have the chance to sell my car and buy a 1997 eclipse AWD turbo. I have always been a big fan of the 2g but you can never find a nice one that hasnt been ragged. the motor has been built from ground up, here are some mods that have been done to the car but its not all.
17in wheels
new tires
ported and polished head
carbon composite seals
new water pump
new timming belt
clearion cd player
all new infinity speakers
high rise spoilier
motor has 2k miles on it
body has 140k
lowerd to the ground
stage 3 clutch

It doesnt look as good as my 3g but i think i could turn it around with a paint job and new wheels. I could Really use your advice.

vs.

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts
:rolleyes: It seems in the last year or so damn near everybody wants to get a GSX and get rid of their 3G's. No offense to anybody that has done so but why the need to change? What's the price for this car? What's the exact details of this new motor (displacement, internals)? Is the turbo stock? Any pics of the motor? It's not a bad looking car at all it just needs a paint job which is nothing major. If you can answer all those questions for me then I could give you my honest opinion.

·
passport applied for
2,437 Posts
i own both 2g's and 3g's and imo the 3g is a more comfortable,quieter and better handling car!
then again, i have never drove a awd turbo!

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts
i own both 2g's and 3g's and imo the 3g is a more comfortable,quieter and better handling car!
then again, i have never drove a awd turbo!
Well I own a 2G GSX and a 3G and let's be honest here, he's not looking at the GSX for comfort and the other stuff. It's about one thing and one thing only.

·
passport applied for
2,437 Posts
Well I own a 2G GSX and a 3G and let's be honest here, he's not looking at the GSX for comfort and the other stuff. It's about one thing and one thing only.
Yeah i get it, i am turning 43 next month and i already went through that in my 30's so i will leave it in your quite capable hands! Nowadays a nice cruise on the water is what gets me hard:wub:

If you wanna play...

·
Hammer Time!
18,119 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
It seems like you have done a good amount of work on your 3g. The GSX is going to be a smaller, quicker car. As far as looks go... your car already looks great, but like you were saying, the GSX looks like it only needs a paint job and new wheels and it will be good to go.

If you are looking for a straight answer, i would say to get the GSX because it will take a lot of time and money to convert to AWD turbo. If you stick with the 3g and miss out on an opportunity you may always be wondering what it would be like to own the GSX.

Besides... there are plenty of 3g's ... you could always get another one if you end up not liking the GSX as much ;)

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts
Yeah i get it, i am turning 43 next month and i already went through that in my 30's so i will leave it in your quite capable hands! Nowadays a nice cruise on the water is what gets me hard:wub:

If you wanna play...
...you gotta pay! :lol: In all seriousness if you're going to get rid of your 3G (in this case a nice looking 3G) for a (not as nice looking) GSX then you'd better have a good reason. It's almost like people want a GSX just to say they have a GSX. If you're going to buy a GSX these days you better be planning to so some major modding/remodeling. It looks like this GSX MAYBE has some potential so I'll wait for the OP to give us more details before I say yes or no.

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only reason i would consider this trade is because all the money i would have to save to even consider a turbo build and idk if i wanna do that, when i could already have one and just worry about the looks of the gsx (if it runs like planned) im going to take a look and drive it on saturday to get a feel for it and see if i really like it or not. Its just the 3g is my baby:wub:

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts
The only reason i would consider this trade is because all the money i would have to save to even consider a turbo build and idk if i wanna do that, when i could already have one and just worry about the looks of the gsx (if it runs like planned) im going to take a look and drive it on saturday to get a feel for it and see if i really like it or not. Its just the 3g is my baby:wub:
If that's the stock turbo on there with a rebuilt stock motor then you aren't really gaining anything powerwise over the 3G. A stock GSX and a stock 3G are basically the same in that department. That's why I said if you're going to buy a GSX these days you better be planning to so some major modding/remodeling. You're still going to have to spend money on a bigger turbo anyway and if you do that then comes more tuning and the rest of the stuff that follows, I know I did it. I would hope you plan on doing some real performance work to it because to get a GSX that puts out the same power as your 3G and keep it stock doesn't make sense.

Now if the GSX has an upgraded turbo and that motor is upgraded then it's a no brainer (assuming you can verify that the motor is indeed rebuilt with upgrades).

·
JVP
703 Posts
I can understand the need for a change. A well taken care of 2g gsx seems to never loose its resale value, yet anyways, so when a good deal comes around it's kinda hard to ignore. I really don't like the looks of the 2g's and I hate how they are smaller than the 3g yet the 3g lacks what everyone wants these days which is all wheel drive and a turbo.

Even though I could care less about the turbo I do like me some awd.

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts
I can understand the need for a change. A well taken care of 2g gsx seems to never loose its resale value, yet anyways, so when a good deal comes around it's kinda hard to ignore. I really don't like the looks of the 2g's and I hate how they are smaller than the 3g yet the 3g lacks what everyone wants these days which is all wheel drive and a turbo.

Even though I could care less about the turbo I do like me some awd.
Actually they're VERY CLOSE in length, the 3G is longer by 3-4 inches tops and the GSX is heavier.

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts
DO IT.....then you wont have a car that looks identical to mine!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts