Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here ya go.......................................

This 2001 GT is ready to commit suicide! The check engine light appears to have a need to come back on.. Was throwning the P0300 code. The EGR valve was pulled and was found to be leaking. Replaced it....... The service engine light went out all by itself in 4 miles.. !!!!!

Drove 170 miles home tonight. Was a very small miss when we stopped. Started the car 2 hours later. Had the defroster on and heard the belt squeal.. The Service engine light came on immeadiately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is not the first time the "belt squeal" caused the light to come on.. Both the defroster and the A/C has caused it. (I know thw A/C compressor comes on w/the defroster)

WTF is going on with this damn thing???????????

BTW,, the code was P0300 again.........

Thanks in advance for the assist..

:uh:

·
Let it wang
962 Posts
OBD-II Trouble Code: P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
A code P0300 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

* Faulty spark plugs or wires
* Faulty coil (pack)
* Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
* Faulty fuel injector(s)
* Burned exhaust valve
* Faulty catalytic converter(s)
* Stuck/blocked EGR valve / passages
* Faulty camshaft position sensor
* Defective computer

When was your last tune up?

·
stupid booster
7,219 Posts
wierd but lets state the facts.

1. car was fine
2. belt made noise
3. check engine light came on

Pretty simple where to start

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info guys.. For the record...

1) The car was just tuned by a local Mitsubishi dealership last week, new plugs and wires. Yeah, I got ripped! It was checked by another yesterday.

2) All sensors were tested and said to be working properly.

3) Computer was swapped out.. A local "garage" said it was the problem... Nope..

4) New battery.

The belt squeal has me thinking something is NOW wrong wth the A/C compressor. Can an A/C issue cause a random misfire?? All belts were replaced last year. (including the timing belt)

This car has me chasing ghosts it seems. Bad thing is, the dealerships are doing the same and just replacing parts.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Thanks for the info guys.. For the record...

1) The car was just tuned by a local Mitsubishi dealership last week, new plugs and wires. Yeah, I got ripped! It was checked by another yesterday.

2) All sensors were tested and said to be working properly.

3) Computer was swapped out.. A local "garage" said it was the problem... Nope..

4) New battery.

The belt squeal has me thinking something is NOW wrong wth the A/C compressor. Can an A/C issue cause a random misfire?? All belts were replaced last year. (including the timing belt)

This car has me chasing ghosts it seems. Bad thing is, the dealerships are doing the same and just replacing parts.

Thanks again.
That's a problems we have today...not many people know how to test parts anymore (or they just don't want to bother)...instead, the industry has gone to R2 troubleshooting for the most part...:ghey:

Also, since many people on this site "tune" their cars for better performance, make sure you complete the term in describing the service the dealer did...they did a "tune-up" on your car, they didn't "tune" the car...it will help to avoid confusion...

·
54,424 Posts
if the AC compressor were locking up its possible that it could slow the engine rotation for a split second and cause a P0300, since misfires are detected by changes in crankshaft rotation speed. grab a belt that lets you bypass the AC compressor and see if the problem persists. someone here will know the part number for that belt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, it was a basic tune up. Not a "dyno tune" like I have done on my car. I was advised this board is for "stock" questions, not performance questions.

So the A/C compressor could cause a missfire code. Based on what I have seen with this car, it makes sense. If it squeals, the light comes on.. Can I "assume" the damn compressor is dying now?

Thanks for the additional help guys..

·
54,424 Posts
best way to figure if its the AC compressor (for you atleast) is to get the short belt which bypasses it. if the problem goes away then its the compressor on its way out.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
oxygen sensor! make sure u are putting in 93 octane bro.
ive had the same issues
Not everyone has access to 93 octane fuel, and I have never seen a manufacturer recommend/require higher than 91 octane...:ugh2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts