Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Wheel fitments.... Need help!

1K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  WhiteSpyder 
#1 ·
I just bought some megan racing coil overs for my 2004 gt and have been trying to figure out the best wheel fitment for a flush fit, any tips?

#5 ·
Just as an example i have evo 8 wheels on my gts and they have a very slight poke. 17x8 wheel with 35 offset i believe. If you get slightly less offset i think they would be flush. Im stock height tho so my poke is slightly worse but once i get my bc coils i plan to take pics and post them on the forum.

#6 · (Edited)
The wider the wheel, the more rear back spacing you will need. I am running 8.5" wide wheels. They have been on the car a long time. I cannot remember what my backspacing [offset] is. I think it is 40. ...J.D.

UPDATE: I did verify the offset on mine.. I had the boxes they came in out in my shed with other wheels in them. The box says the offset is 40. Here are some photos. They are 17"X8.5

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
No rubbing. No trimming. I think the key is proper tire size and offset. I am using a 225/45X17 on an 8.5" rim, with 40mm backspacing. [research on the internet says stock wheel offset is 46mm for the 17" wheels]. Sometimes you can get too big a tire and the tread does not lay flat on the road. Mine is stock ride height. Just high quality shocks, good sway bar and I have more grip in the corners than I can use at street speeds. I am using a soft compound Dunlop tire.. ...J.D.

#9 ·
No rubbing. No trimming. I think the key is proper tire size and offset. I am using a 225/45X17 on an 8.5" rim, with 40mm backspacing. Sometimes you can get too big a tire and the tread does not lay flat on the road. Mine is stock ride height. Just high quality shocks, good sway bar and I have more grip in the corners than I can use at street speeds. I am using a soft compound Dunlop tire.. ...J.D.
My suspension is also stock but i run the wheels off of an evo 8 so i run the stock evo tire size. That may be my problem but i want as much tire on the ground as possible since this is my "road and track" car

#17 ·
What brand and size tires do you run? I have 235 falken ze660s because i wanted a sporty all season but once this car isnt my daily i want something a little more aggressive and maybe a touch bigger.
Do you mean RT660s??? That tire isn’t a all season tire what so ever RT660s are a extreme performance summer tire or pretty much a track tire. Those are the tires I run, in the same size 235/45r17 once these tires wear down I’ll prob get 245/40r17. I’ve heard of people using 255/40r17 which boggles my mind. Also I’ve noticed RT660s happen to be slightly wider than advertised comparing to the next brand.

#18 ·
Do you mean RT660s??? That tire isn’t a all season tire what so ever RT660s are a extreme performance summer tire or pretty much a track tire. Those are the tires I run, in the same size 235/45r17 once these tires wear down I’ll prob get 245/40r17. I’ve heard of people using 255/40r17 which boggles my mind. Also I’ve noticed RT660s happen to be slightly wider than advertised comparing to the next brand.
sorry it was a typo i meant the falken ze960. They grip alot better than the no name tires the previous owner had on the car but i feel i would push them past thier limits on a track. Do you recommend the rt660?

#15 ·
Mine is just set up for the street. Lots of different ways to do things. I did the chassis work on mine back in 2016 and then it sat for a few years. Just got it going again this year. It had some trouble with emission controls I had to sort out. Been good fun this summer. ...J.D.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.