Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '01 galant with a V6 and a 5spd swap, its the GTS transmission, if that helps. I have energy suspension engine mount bushings, and control arm bushings. The car is not lowered, so weight transfer is a problem. I'm simply tired of wheel hop, but I dont have the money to blow on a set of coilovers at this point, they are on the wishlist, but not in the budget at the moment. Is there anything else that will eliminate wheelhop. I'd really like to get this problem taken care of so I can move on and start playing with my nitrous.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just a quick question so i dont have to make a new thread. My car veers to the left quite bad..all 4 tires have the same pressure. Does that mean something is wrong with my suspension?

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
Yeah I would definately get at least the prothane motor mounts for the sides. You can get them at summit racing for a good price in either black or red.

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
Tires make a very big difference. Something with a softer side wall reacts better to launching. Also, from my experience the GTS transmission is more likely to break from wheel hop than the GT transmission. I'm thinking it has something to do with the different final drive ratio. BTW, the overally gear ratio is about the same between the two tranmssion for 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. 4th and 5th gears are shorter for the GTS transmission.

·
MINI by proxy
4,408 Posts
Yep, you want something to hold the motor still. Either the solid mounts or the damper (aka stiffy).
:agreed:
I'd say both if you're really serious about killing the wheel hop.
The Stiffy E.T.D. does a damn good job on it's own, but I'd definitely pair it with at least a stiffer rear mount. Upgrading your suspension will definitely make a difference as well, but holding the motor still would be the first step in killing the hop.
Just a quick question so i dont have to make a new thread. My car veers to the left quite bad..all 4 tires have the same pressure. Does that mean something is wrong with my suspension?
Alignment. Get one.
It's cool that you're conscious of not needing to start a new thread, but you ought to search for a better place to pose your question. This really has nothing to do with wheel hop.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Now for someone that can't get them both at the same time

Would make a difference to go mounts first then stiffy or stiffy and then mounts?

Seems like a stupid question... But also I could install the stiffy myself, I don't know if I'll have access to the equipment to do the mounts for a bit...

Or even start with a rear mount and a stiffy, and wait on the others?

Thanks,

~Mike

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
The mounts, well at least the front & back ones, are actually prtetty easy. Just a socket wrench and a handful of metric sockets are enough. Nothing real fancy required. (Well, a jack and stands would be needed, but after that it's just twisting some bolts)

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
This really has nothing to do with wheels, tires, brakes or suspension. Wheel hop is a drivetrain problem that CAN be solved with suspension tweaks. Why did this get moved?

Any way, I've seen really good results with the Stiffy on my buddy's Galant. I highly recommend it after having driven his car.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
The mounts, well at least the front & back ones, are actually prtetty easy. Just a socket wrench and a handful of metric sockets are enough. Nothing real fancy required. (Well, a jack and stands would be needed, but after that it's just twisting some bolts)
Haha but when your brother rolls by your house and steals your jack it becomes a little more complicated...

I need to wait till I can get it back from him...

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Would make a difference to go mounts first then stiffy or stiffy and then mounts?

Seems like a stupid question... But also I could install the stiffy myself, I don't know if I'll have access to the equipment to do the mounts for a bit...

Or even start with a rear mount and a stiffy, and wait on the others?
Personally, if I were in your situation I would do the passenger side mount and the Ingalls ETD at the same time. The stiffy mounts to that passenger side engine mount so doing both at the same time could save you some time and/or headaches. FWIW, I found the front mount to be the easiest, followed by the passenger, then the driver/tranny mount. The rear was the hardest for me. The Stiffy only takes like 5-10mins to install.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've already got Energy suspensions engine mounts and control arm bushings. I guess I may try the engine damper. Would the D3 subframe connectors help out at all with this problem?

The problem at the moment is I cannot afford coilovers. I would love to get a set of JIC magic's but thats out of my current price range. Since the car see's alot of autocross use, I need a top notch set up.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is an energy suspension mount stuffed in the drivers side mount, or the tranny perch, because I had one left over from having to buy a new kit from my first wheel hop adventure. I'm probably going to fill the passenger side mount with window weld, I have it on hand, and I dont have to buy a whole kit.

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
You can buy the mounts individually. You just need the part numbers. I gutted and widow welded the side mounts, and I must say that the prothane mounts are leaps and bounds better. If you buy both side mounts I can guarantee you won't be disappointed. Plus they are designed to go in the side mount location. They are extra large and wedge in there nicely to prevent any movement.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts