Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Tread Terrestrial animal Synthetic rubber Electric blue

I need some help to determined what material the wheel well is made from. It appears to be very think and flimsy. Wondering if fiberglass would be the best DIY repair option. I need this repaired to pass vehicle state safety inspection in Maine. Thank you.

· Registered
431 Posts
This looks like the rear. I have not seen any of these cars rot in the rear yet. I would pull that rocker panel off and look up and see where this is coming from. Most definitely check the underside of the strut towers and the small sheet metal portion where the K member bolts to the front of the car. I am on my second 3G now with this problem. There is a Russian guy that is resorting a 3G that posted a video showing this exact part and how they fabricated new sheet metal for this portion. your car isnt rusted, I would get some POR15 and coat the underside now.

· Registered
3 Posts
...There is a Russian guy that is resorting a 3G that posted a video showing this exact part and how they fabricated new sheet metal for this portion...
Can you link to this video? My car has a similar situation to OP. Whatever weather-proofing was applied to the wheel wells ended up hiding the rust rather than preventing it. It's starting to peel off to reveal all the damage underneath.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts