Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm driving along on the freeway and give my car some gas (3.0 sds stage 3 (20psi)). I smell oil when I lay off of her and when I get home I pop the hood and see oil all over my engine bay. Just in the driver's side. All the lines for the sds and pump and dry. It seems like it came from over around the valve cover gaskets or distributor. The hose is still connecting the two valve covers and the one on the top of the rear is still left open. I don't have any idea why it's coming out of the engine or even where it is coming through. Most of it seems to have hit the underside of the hood. I'm still running a good vacuum at idle (20inches). Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Turbo Buick > you
1,336 Posts
Same thing happened when i blew my motor :confused: I thought it came from the distributor seal, valve cover gaskets, but no. It probably came out of the rear valve cover hose that you have venting to the atmosphere..... Thats where it seem like mine came from.

Just to be safe, do a comp test and check how all your pistons are doing.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
How about some pics of the hood to show us where the oil sprayed?

My 1st guess was the valve cover gasket blew but I'm no mechanic. Hopefully the compression test will come back good!

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dipstick is sealed perfectly as well as the connection between the tube and the block. The oil seems to see directly above the hoses, distributor, and fpr area. I'm thinking it's the vent to the atmosphere. I'll do a compression check here in a little bit and let you know the front 3 numbers. When I got my engine rebuilt. The front left (2) cylinder was the one that had the most maching work done on the valves/cylinder walls. Hopefully good news will come from it.

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
What about your oil cap? Those have been known to bow under pressure and leak.

·
Evo IX
1,767 Posts
What about your oil cap? Those have been known to bow under pressure and leak.
You beat me to it. When the stock pistons broke on my car the pressure shot oil out of my oil cap hole.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got one of those after market ripp caps. I had to bend it to fit tighter, but I've never had a problem with it leaking through it. So what exactly happened? Did my car detonate causing pressure in the valve covers to blow oil through them?

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
If the oil is coming out of the breather, oil cap, dipstick, and ect then you are getting excessive crankcase pressure, which would be caused by a lot of blowby. So, there might be a problem with the pistons, rings, or head gasket. Look for where the leak is coming from and then do a compression test ASAP.

·
Evo IX
1,767 Posts
I got one of those after market ripp caps. I had to bend it to fit tighter, but I've never had a problem with it leaking through it. So what exactly happened? Did my car detonate causing pressure in the valve covers to blow oil through them?
I have had the same oil cap on my car. If you had to bend it back to make it tighter then that is indeed where the oil shot out from which is most likely a sign of engine damage. You probobly broke the ringland on one of the pistons. Amazingly enough even with damaged ringlands this engine still seems to hold decent compression IE: 150psi approx. in my case although it will depend on the extent of the damage.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I'm still using the stock pvc valve. I have the factory line that went from the top of the valve cover to the intake removed. I haven't had any problems with oil other that that one time. I think I just had a little bit of detonation.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts