Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm getting the car tuned in on Wed. I'll see then far off the tune was then. Another question....how does having the car boosted effect the stock pcv vent? I don't have the breather line hooked up to the intake tubing so how does it make a difference? It's hooked up to the atmosphere with a fiter. I don't understand what would change.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,972 Posts
I'm getting the car tuned in on Wed. I'll see then far off the tune was then. Another question....how does having the car boosted effect the stock pcv vent? I don't have the breather line hooked up to the intake tubing so how does it make a difference? It's hooked up to the atmosphere with a fiter. I don't understand what would change.
Check out Shane's thread where we really went over a lot of the PCV valve vs. Krank Vents topic. It might help a bit. Also, post #115 will describe how the PCV system should work.

http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78206&page=2

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
The stock PVC leaks boost past it, which pressurizes the crankcase. This is bad because the piston coming down has to overcome this pressure, which lowers the efficiency of the engine. So you get lower hp/tq. Some companies have actually made vacuum pumps for big blocks to ensure a vacuum all the time.

http://www.gzmotorsports.com/vacuum-pump-guide.html

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,972 Posts
krank vents fixed it all! :D
I disagree with that statement. Many are quick to anoint Krank Vents the "grand fix" without understanding how the PCV system is supposed to work.

That being said, those who have the blow-thur the MAS setup, it might be the only alternative.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,972 Posts
The stock PVC leaks boost past it, which pressurizes the crankcase. This is bad because the piston coming down has to overcome this pressure, which lowers the efficiency of the engine. So you get lower hp/tq. Some companies have actually made vacuum pumps for big blocks to ensure a vacuum all the time.

http://www.gzmotorsports.com/vacuum-pump-guide.html
Actually, I'm glad you posted that link. The article describes how the vacuum needs to be regulated which Krank Vents does not do.

Damage to the wrist pins? No thanks.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I disagree with that statement. Many are quick to anoint Krank Vents the "grand fix" without understanding how the PCV system is supposed to work.

That being said, those who have the blow-thur the MAS setup, it might be the only alternative.
They fixed the two problems I listed; oil cap and valve cover oil leak. Do you have a problem with me being happy about it working?

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,972 Posts
They fixed the two problems I listed; oil cap and valve cover oil leak. Do you have a problem with me being happy about it working?
Because it disables the natural function of the PCV system. If you read Shane's thread, I discuss my reservations in detail. I'm not going to do it again here.

How happy will you be if you learn that the Krank Vents is slowly damaging your engine?

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well, I just got the car tuned in. Just found out that everything is in fact fine with the car. The black smoke was because it was running too rich. Now that it's tuned, it's running perfectly. Got 331 whp off of the dyno.

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
Can't you pull timing w/ the BB? :scratch:

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
Wow Phil, I'm really going to have to pour a beer over your head whenever we go grab a brew.

From Perfect Power's website in regards to the SMT-6.

he SMT6, like its predecessor, has the ability to drive an extra injector which will allow more fuel to be added into the engine typically for turbo applications.

Feature Benefit
Throttle Sensor learning feature Fits to any throttle position
RPM Calibration To suite your installation
High RPM range Racing?
Fuel map with 128 sites Smooth Programming
Ignition Map with 128 sites Fine Ignition resolution
Injection Map with 128 sites For extra (boost!) injection
0 - 10 volt analogue range Allows tuning of all models
6 Amp injector drive Handles 6 x 16 ohm injectors
Various ignition outputs For the most stringent applications
Selectable Trigger points To suit
Programmable Cylinders It works on any amount of cylinders!
Selectable polarity To Suite
Can handle interlaced signal For 4 cylinders ignition output tuning
Balanced Inputs Inverted Outputs
Missing Tooth Signal For up to 2 teeth advance/retard
Ignition output limit Limits max. advance and retard
Fuel High low limit Prevents overdriving the ECU
Small Size Fits Anywhere
Low Battery Drain Simple Installation
Self Checking Test Available For Extra Confidence
Map Switchable While you drive
All Inputs Protected No mishaps!
Crystal Controlled For Stability
Encapsulated For Moisture and Dust
Easy Tuning Software DOS or WINDOWS
Low Component Count High MTBF
10 MIPS computing To facilitate quick engine response
Signal Conditioning To prevent miss trigger
Engine profiles (library) Easy set up
Lambda Signal Tuning Modification of Lambda Senor Readings
Proportional Nitrous Control Less waste of power in nitrous injection
Adjust Dwell Time For very basic standalone applications
Rpm / Airflow / Analogue Defection / Temp Switch Point For cam switch and similar applications

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
Pin 43 which the bb/gb intercepts is the crank shaft position sensor. That is not related to fuel now is it buddy? ;)

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,972 Posts
Heh, heh... you're so funny Greg.:fawk: No doubt that the SMT-6 can handle that, but I didn't think Ripp tapped the timing harness.

From Ripp's current manual:

"Follow the diagram provided in kit. You are tapping into the RPM, Injector, Mass Air Sensor, O2, and, Crank Sensor circuits at the ECU, so now all these signal will be processed through the Black Box and will be recalibrated according to Boost, fuel, and, load."

I used to have the wiring schematic somewhere, but I can't find it now. If timing is now used, that is great. But I do recall a thread somewhere where someone was complaining about lack of timing control with the BB. Albeit, that was a while ago.

·
stupid booster
7,219 Posts
So thats two FI sporty numbers that were in tonight.

1. turbo sporty @ 7.5psi pushing 275whp
2. supercharged sporty @ 20psi pushing 310

FUnny numbers

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
The BB sits between the crank sensor and the ECU and alters the information the ECU sees to adjust timing. :woot:

:lol:

21 - 40 of 60 Posts