Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
GS-Turbooo
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and a lot of threads came up for my search keywords but none of them fully answer my question.

What motors are basically OE replacement for our RS/GSs? 4g64 right? What digit should the "G" fall in under the vin number?

Will this motor fit? Its a 4g64 from a Montero Sport and it fits 96-99:

I just need everything off that motor except the head (I know the head is orientated differently.)... 7-bolts to the tranny side...

Sorry for the n00b questions but its been a year since my car has last ran and I'm ready to get this thing back up.

·
GS-Turbooo
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Could someone post a list of motors that will drop in? I know older model heads used different camshaft pulses for the camshaft position sensor but I have the head off my eclipse ready to bolt onto any 4g64 bottom end that is proven to work.... I just need to know which bottom ends work for us

·
Christopher Pearce
2,542 Posts
From what I have read, the only engine that will fit in the RS/GS without any type of modification is the manufactured 4G64 motor for the 3G. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
I believe the evo 8 4g63 will work, the galants 4g64 (02's 03's,) the G code should fall like the 4th or 5th letter in the vin.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
From what I have read, the only engine that will fit in the RS/GS without any type of modification is the manufactured 4G64 motor for the 3G. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.
Wouldn't one from an 8g Galant or a 2g Stratus work? :scratch: I'm curious to know the answer to Cloud's question as well for when ever I get to the point of building an engine...

·
GS-Turbooo
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The montero sport's bottom end looks like our bottom end (just took a few quick pics)... I just need to know (and be 100% sure) if this will work. Thanks guys for all the help.

With this research, I'll list motors so that it will make the next person's search a lot easier haha.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Apparently our "G" falls in the 8th digit of our vin-number and the Montero's is in the 7th or 8th digit...
From some "preliminary research" it looks like the 8th digit is the engine designator for all Mitsubishis (see links below)...and "G" would be for all vehicles with the 4G64. I'm still not sure how we can use this to find out what 4G64 blocks will bolt into our cars though...:scratch:

1st - Country of Origin
2nd - Make
3rd - Vehicle Type
4th - Others
5th - Line
6th - Series
7th - Body
8th - Engine
9th - Check Digit
10th - Model Year
11th - Plant
12th -17th - Serial Numbers

Never been to this website before, but it came up on Google and it looks like the guy just took it right out of the Haynes manual:
Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum - EclipseCarTuner.com :: View topic - Know Your VIN

This is straight from Mitsubishi...I know it's for 2007 model year vehicles, but at least the engine portion seems to apply:
http://www.mitsubishicars.com/media/owners/pdf/07VINs.pdf

·
GS-Turbooo
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okay, now about orientation... only vehicles with the motor on the "right side" will drop right in? Is the Montero sport's motor on the right side? Remember, I'm still using the head off my 03 GS...

·
GS-Turbooo
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh, some details on the Montero motor listing:

Restart your tired Mitsubishi with this remanufactured 2.4 litre remanufactured long block engine for the Montero Sport starting with 11/96 until 1999 models. Other information that may be helpful is that it has a 7 bolt flywheel, the intake manifold is on the left, and it has a provision for crank and cam sensors. Also the vehicle should have a G engine code. Usually that is the 7th or 8th didgit in the VIN of the vehicle. It may fit other models and years, but this is what the tag on the engine showed. It is single overhead cam with 16 valves. This engine was remanufactured by Recon Engine. Their part number for this engine is 194256. I purchased a group of these engines and need to sell them ASAP, so they are going cheap. Recon offered a 36 month 36,000 mile warranty because they were confident of the quality. I cannot offer a warranty at the price these are offered at, however I certainly will take the engine back if you are not satisfied when you receive it, but not after it is installed. The block casting number is 4N and RK5, and I found on the head G6NFR1. Missouri sales tax will be collected if the engine is delivered in Missouri. Please email with any questions! Thanks, Rick

·
AllInFavor_SayCali
442 Posts
The engine from the 2G Stratus COUPE will fit, not the sedan. Its the exact same motor thats in the RS/GS. The sedan motor is the 2.4 DOHC and wont drop right in.
This is the one that's used in the 2g Spyders, right?
If it is then you wont be able to swap the head, seeing as how the cams/belt are opposite ours.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts