Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
GO SOX
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a bit of a dilemma. Being a poor college student, I'm trying to blow as much holiday cash as unwisely as I can. I figure I can do a good bit of the work by starting to build up an audio system in my car (most of the rest of the money is going towards the car as well, but more on suspension and other things), but with my limited budget I'm not sure which route to start with.

My current scenario is this:
Rear speakers: Pioneer TS-A1681R - 2-50w RMS 260 w peak
Front speakers: Sony XS-V13335XX - 2-50w RMS 200w peak
Head Unit: Pioneer P4700MP 22w RMS and 50w peak

Currently when I have the speakers turned up to where I like them (I normally use the 'powerful' eq setting, except for rap and there I use the 'super bass' setting) I get a decent bit of distortion/crackling when the bass hits (and it dims the HU's lights). Not a ton, but enough to make you want to change out the speakers or not turn it up very loud (which sucks on the highway) after a few listens.

My question is this: should I go with an amp to power the speakers (a 2ch for the front two? a 2ch for the back two? or a 4ch for all?) first, or an amp and sub and wait on powering the speakers with something better? Would an amp help the problem that I am having with the speakers? Which amp or amp and sub combo would you recommend?

Thanks!

Edit: I was also thinking about this amp, would it be possible to use two channels for the front speakers at 4 ohms (because the RMS rating matches them better) and then two for subs (Crutchfield is having a buy one get one half off sale on Polk subs) at 2 ohms?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think that you should get subwoofers just because i think it sounds better. I got my 2 12" Dub subwoofers with an Audibahn amp for 250$ and did the install my self. it made my system sound 1000X better. You could turn down the bass on your speakers and that will make them last longer and then turn up the treble. I like the subwoofers better personally and its a pretty easy install. But thats my opinion

·
GO SOX
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I think I'll do, but I'm going to wait on the audio system until after I have more money so I don't skimp on anything

·
TxTuning.com
6,814 Posts
If you decide going subs instead of the 4ch amp, there shouldn't be any problem. You can have all of the bass from your 4 speakers turned down, with the subs topped out. I have had a pioneer HU before so it won't be a problem. My front speakers in the eclipse rattle the plastic all the time, so theres no bass in them anymore!

·
Car Audio Mod #3
2,617 Posts
Before you get a 4 channel (the one BuckyBoy suggested is awesome), definitely upgrade those speakers to something of better quality. Go for some nice 6.5" components in the front.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts