Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think it's a leak in a vacuum but i'm not sure. i did a recall search and found out that 03 eclipse gs gt gts all have recalls for a fuel return line getting clogged and can start leaking but i don't think that would cause whstling. also i put a sri on and it through a SES code saying system too rich bank 1 and 2. any ideas?:angryazn:

·
TxTuning.com
6,814 Posts
I have the same model/year as you, and when i hit the gas, i also hear this VERY high pitch whistle. I only seemed to notice it after my intake/exhaust swap, but at the same time that's when i really tried listening.

I'm clueless, but don't feel alone.

·
I hate stance
10,295 Posts
It shouldn't run through the whole powerband though, if it doesn't go away after like 2k rpm's or so then it might be an exhaust leak.

·
TxTuning.com
6,814 Posts
It's not through full rpms, so i'd agree with it being the intake. my CEL isn't on so i don't see me having problems?

·
Registered
556 Posts
i think it's a leak in a vacuum but i'm not sure. i did a recall search and found out that 03 eclipse gs gt gts all have recalls for a fuel return line getting clogged and can start leaking but i don't think that would cause whstling. also i put a sri on and it through a SES code saying system too rich bank 1 and 2. any ideas?:angryazn:
I hear it in my gts as well but to me it sounded like gear whining, and I validated it when i reved the engine without it moving with no sound. another point, when you increase engine speed, you loose vacuum. so if it were a leak, you'd notice it idle, not when you were speeding up. more then likley your hearing your transmission whining through the cheap sheet metal firewall. thats the same reason guys can really hear their intakes "burp" when they are sitting in the car.

·
Registered
617 Posts
i dont hear it before 2k I hear afetr 2500 to about 5 k seems right for the intake alot of my friends have the same sound over 2500

·
Christopher Pearce
2,542 Posts
I hear it in my gts as well but to me it sounded like gear whining, and I validated it when i reved the engine without it moving with no sound. another point, when you increase engine speed, you loose vacuum. so if it were a leak, you'd notice it idle, not when you were speeding up. more then likley your hearing your transmission whining through the cheap sheet metal firewall. thats the same reason guys can really hear their intakes "burp" when they are sitting in the car.
I also hear a whining, and it is coming from my transmission as well. If I'm sitting at idle with my foot off the clutch, the whining will be there. When I put my foot on the clutch, the whining goes away. The volume of the whine is louder on a cold start as well.

I am actually having my transmission rebuilt soon, so that should get rid of this.

·
TxTuning.com
6,814 Posts
I also hear a whining, and it is coming from my transmission as well. If I'm sitting at idle with my foot off the clutch, the whining will be there. When I put my foot on the clutch, the whining goes away. The volume of the whine is louder on a cold start as well.

I am actually having my transmission rebuilt soon, so that should get rid of this.
This is a problem with all of our cars. There are posts on this forum about this if you look. There have been temporary ( a few hours ) fix, but the rattling just comes back. we are talking about something completely different here.

cheers

·
Christopher Pearce
2,542 Posts
This is a problem with all of our cars. There are posts on this forum about this if you look. There have been temporary ( a few hours ) fix, but the rattling just comes back. we are talking about something completely different here.

cheers
Yeah. I realized that after I posted my reply. The OP was talking about a whistle whereas I was thinking about the whine that my transmission is making.

·
Noob
286 Posts
I have recently noticed the same noise. the whistle gets higher in pitch the higher the rpms and when you let off the gas you still here the whistle just seems to sorta fade out as the rpms lower.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts