Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I searched and didn't find anything on this so I'll give it a shot. I currently have Sonar headlight units with the single, white halo around the low-beam projector, and smoked front turn signals/parking lights with clear bulbs (not amber bulbs). What I don't like is that the parking lights are still pretty orange looking compared to the nice white halos as you can see in the pic below.

What I'd like to do is find some parking light bulbs that would give out a much whiter light (as close to the white of the halos as possible). Obviously, LEDs would get me a nice crisp white light, but I don't want ricer flash. Has anyone found either some LED lights that have resistors built in to eliminate the ricer flash, or does anyone know of a different type of bulb or way to wire the lights to have a much whiter light? I just hate amber/orange exterior lights with a passion...

·
Registered
750 Posts
i bought the LED replacement bulbs at pep boys for like 6 bucks a bulb and they are pure white with a slight blue tint and very bright.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn, all that would work for me at that site is the intro, then the actual forums page doesn't load...I'll try again after work (I may just need to restart the computer or something...

i bought the LED replacement bulbs at pep boys for like 6 bucks a bulb and they are pure white with a slight blue tint and very bright.
Cool...do you have ricer flash though, or do your lights blink just as if you had regular bulbs in them?

·
db
986 Posts
you might want to check your local laws. the turn signals must be orange here. changing the color of them is a quick way to get pulled over.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you might want to check your local laws. the turn signals must be orange here. changing the color of them is a quick way to get pulled over.
That's true in just about every state that I know of.
I'll check and see what the regulation is here in SC, but I do find it hard to believe that the laws say that turn signals must be orange for all cars...vehicles made back in the 50s-70s had white front turn signals, and laws that were made after their date of manufacture shouldn't be able to force an owner to modify their car...so there has to be some stipulation for those cars...I've never used the amber bulbs in any cars I've owned and tinkered with, but there again, they do light up kind of orange when just the parking lights are on...

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
I'll check and see what the regulation is here in SC, but I do find it hard to believe that the laws say that turn signals must be orange for all cars...vehicles made back in the 50s-70s had white front turn signals, and laws that were made after their date of manufacture shouldn't be able to force an owner to modify their car...so there has to be some stipulation for those cars...I've never used the amber bulbs in any cars I've owned and tinkered with, but there again, they do light up kind of orange when just the parking lights are on...
and the law also states you can't remove the safety restraint system on newer model cars and older cars don't have those systems. Having antique tags on a vehicle or a VIN number that displays the year the vehicle was produced makes a difference, I think you're forgetting about that.

It doesn't matter what color you see when the bulb is off, it must be amber in color when flashing. Whether its a clear lens and orange bulb, orange lens and clear bulb, or clear lens and blue bulb that happens to flash amber.

·
db
986 Posts
and the law also states you can't remove the safety restraint system on newer model cars and older cars don't have those systems. Having antique tags on a vehicle or a VIN number that displays the year the vehicle was produced makes a difference, I think you're forgetting about that.
also those old cars are only allowed to drive so many miles a year. have you saw the "lights" old cars have, your lucky to see a car 50' infront of you. this isn't the point of this thread. i'm just saying you might want to think twice about going to white. if you have illegal tint, loud exhaust, etc they are going to use the white turn signals as a reason to pull you over and a few tickets later your on your way.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

It doesn't matter what color you see when the bulb is off, it must be amber in color when flashing. Whether its a clear lens and orange bulb, orange lens and clear bulb, or clear lens and blue bulb that happens to flash amber.
Well, the '72 Monte Carlo, '70 GMC, '63 Chevy, and my friend's '68 Camaro all had white lenses with clear bulbs...with the lenses being white, they lit up a dull white color, not amber at all...like I said though, I'll look it up and see what the laws here in SC say...there are a lot of things I've done to vehicles since being here, or have seen done to vehicles, that would be illegal elsewhere...they seem pretty laxed about it here...

also those old cars are only allowed to drive so many miles a year. have you saw the "lights" old cars have, your lucky to see a car 50' infront of you. this isn't the point of this thread. i'm just saying you might want to think twice about going to white. if you have illegal tint, loud exhaust, etc they are going to use the white turn signals as a reason to pull you over and a few tickets later your on your way.
I have to throw the BS flag on this one...see below for the reason why...

Not true - that's only something that would be in place with a custom insurance policy, not DMV controlled.
The '63 Chevy truck I had was "technically" limited on the number of miles I could drive annually, and "technically" I was limited on where I could drive it (only to perform maintenance, attend shows, parades, etc.)...it didn't have anything to do with insurance, but rather the state law regarding vehicles registered as antiques...if you had the antique plate, you only paid registration when you bought it and never again, which is why the number of miles you could drive it was "limited". I know it's that way here in SC, and it at least used to be that way in California, Missouri, and I think Delaware...I don't know about other states though...

But again, I wasn't really intending this to discuss the laws about it, but more to discuss how to get whiter lights...if nothing else, I could always throw the whiter lights in for shows or pictures, and drive around with the way I have it now to be "in compliance"...it was a good discussion though...too bad more can't be like this without people arguing over stupid stuff when they can just talk back and forth and share a conversation such as this...thanks to everyone for keeping this civil...:bigthumb:

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
Well, the '72 Monte Carlo, '70 GMC, '63 Chevy, and my friend's '68 Camaro all had white lenses with clear bulbs...with the lenses being white, they lit up a dull white color, not amber at all...like I said though, I'll look it up and see what the laws here in SC say...there are a lot of things I've done to vehicles since being here, or have seen done to vehicles, that would be illegal elsewhere...they seem pretty laxed about it here...
What matters is when the law was made effective. Most likely, it probably states something along the line of "Any vehicle manufactured after X date must have..." That's how its written for safety restraint systems, lighting, etc. Regardless, the newest model vehicle you listed above is a 1972 which falls as a classic. Any vehicle 25-49 years old is a classic, and anything 50 years or older is antique.

I have to throw the BS flag on this one...see below for the reason why...

The '63 Chevy truck I had was "technically" limited on the number of miles I could drive annually, and "technically" I was limited on where I could drive it (only to perform maintenance, attend shows, parades, etc.)...it didn't have anything to do with insurance, but rather the state law regarding vehicles registered as antiques...if you had the antique plate, you only paid registration when you bought it and never again, which is why the number of miles you could drive it was "limited". I know it's that way here in SC, and it at least used to be that way in California, Missouri, and I think Delaware...I don't know about other states though...

But again, I wasn't really intending this to discuss the laws about it, but more to discuss how to get whiter lights...if nothing else, I could always throw the whiter lights in for shows or pictures, and drive around with the way I have it now to be "in compliance"...it was a good discussion though...too bad more can't be like this without people arguing over stupid stuff when they can just talk back and forth and share a conversation such as this...thanks to everyone for keeping this civil...:bigthumb:
Well, I'm not 100% sure on the Antique registered vehicles being restricted in mileage, so I can't comment to far on that. However, I know for a fact on the Eclipse I have for SCC (which is strickly promotional) I have a custom policy on the car and the mileage is very limited.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What matters is when the law was made effective. Most likely, it probably states something along the line of "Any vehicle manufactured after X date must have..." That's how its written for safety restraint systems, lighting, etc. Regardless, the newest model vehicle you listed above is a 1972 which falls as a classic. Any vehicle 25-49 years old is a classic, and anything 50 years or older is antique.
That's exactly the point I was trying to make...it had been mentioned above in a blanket statement that orange lights are required...period. I guess you worded it better than I, but that's what I was trying to point out, that there has to be some provision to account for vehicles that are grandfathered in...

Well, I'm not 100% sure on the Antique registered vehicles being restricted in mileage, so I can't comment to far on that. However, I know for a fact on the Eclipse I have for SCC (which is strickly promotional) I have a custom policy on the car and the mileage is very limited.
Damn...I'd hate to not be able to drive my car anytime I wanted, but then again, looking at your car I can see why they'd restrict it...

·
Suk me balls
4,973 Posts
Damn, all that would work for me at that site is the intro, then the actual forums page doesn't load...
I just copied it for you, here you go.

this is a trick to make the clear corners intensity better match the headlight intensity. the corners will now burn bright when the parking lights are on and it'll look like you have 4 headlights, but you will still have functional blinkers at night. do this at your own risk since it is not super easy or super fool proof and your corners will burn sooner (will need replacement bulbs more often) but the results are worth it. this is a very rare mod because first you need clear corners then you have to have the motivation to rewire... i have only seen this mod (properly done w/ relays to retain night time front blinkers) in Los Angeles on the cars i have personally done it on!

i had this done on my old US specs and currently have it done on my JDM's and a few peeps in TGC have tried it too since i posted it a few times in the old board. this btw, was an old trick i used to do on 92-95 civics and '93-97 mx-6's to make the clear corners match the headlights but it will work on any car w/ 1157 corners.

ok u'll need 2 SPDT relays.

here's a wiring diagram:

our corner bulbs are 1157 which have 2 filaments, one bright for signal and one dim for parking. if you unclip the socket from the harness you can take a jewelry screwdriver to unclip the wires from the harness. of the 3 wires that clip into the harness, the middle one is the ground (negative), and the 2 outside wires are the positive leads for the signal and parking light. unclip these and swap their position then re-insert and plug the socket back into the harness and your done... almost.

since you now have parking lights that are brighter than your signal lights, you can't see ur signals blinking when your parking lights are on. this is where the relays come into play.

first cut the wire that goes to the bright filament (now activated by your parking lights). connect the 2 new leads created by cutting, one to 87a (normally closed) and the other to 30 (common).
next tap the dim filament wire (now activated by the signal) to 86 (coil).
last tap the 85 (coil) tab to the ground wire.

what this does is, block current to your now bright parking lights when the signal light is on... your parking lights will appear to blink "off". the two cool side effects of this are, at night, your front corners will blink out of phase w/ ur rear signals and your flasher will be tricked into think a bulbs "out" and will blink twice as fast as normal.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just copied it for you, here you go.

this is a trick to make the clear corners intensity better match the headlight intensity. the corners will now burn bright when the parking lights are on and it'll look like you have 4 headlights, but you will still have functional blinkers at night. do this at your own risk since it is not super easy or super fool proof and your corners will burn sooner (will need replacement bulbs more often) but the results are worth it. this is a very rare mod because first you need clear corners then you have to have the motivation to rewire... i have only seen this mod (properly done w/ relays to retain night time front blinkers) in Los Angeles on the cars i have personally done it on!

i had this done on my old US specs and currently have it done on my JDM's and a few peeps in TGC have tried it too since i posted it a few times in the old board. this btw, was an old trick i used to do on 92-95 civics and '93-97 mx-6's to make the clear corners match the headlights but it will work on any car w/ 1157 corners.

ok u'll need 2 SPDT relays.

here's a wiring diagram:

our corner bulbs are 1157 which have 2 filaments, one bright for signal and one dim for parking. if you unclip the socket from the harness you can take a jewelry screwdriver to unclip the wires from the harness. of the 3 wires that clip into the harness, the middle one is the ground (negative), and the 2 outside wires are the positive leads for the signal and parking light. unclip these and swap their position then re-insert and plug the socket back into the harness and your done... almost.

since you now have parking lights that are brighter than your signal lights, you can't see ur signals blinking when your parking lights are on. this is where the relays come into play.

first cut the wire that goes to the bright filament (now activated by your parking lights). connect the 2 new leads created by cutting, one to 87a (normally closed) and the other to 30 (common).
next tap the dim filament wire (now activated by the signal) to 86 (coil).
last tap the 85 (coil) tab to the ground wire.

what this does is, block current to your now bright parking lights when the signal light is on... your parking lights will appear to blink "off". the two cool side effects of this are, at night, your front corners will blink out of phase w/ ur rear signals and your flasher will be tricked into think a bulbs "out" and will blink twice as fast as normal.
It started to sound like an ok idea until I got to the end...I guess that guy likes the ricer flash...:nuts: That being said, this did spark another one of my modified circuit ideas that I may have to see if I can work out (it's not really related to the original topic of this thread, so I'll wait to see if I can come up with a way to do it before I go into any details).

·
Suk me balls
4,973 Posts
Sorry, I read that too but figured I leave it up to you to decide if you could use his idea or not.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry, I read that too but figured I leave it up to you to decide if you could use his idea or not.
Not exactly the way he wired it, but like I said, it may have given me an idea for something else...:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Straight from the South Carolina DMV Vehicle Code:

SECTION 56-5-4730. Signal lamps and signal devices.

Any motor vehicle may be equipped, and when required under this chapter shall be equipped, with the following signal lamps and devices:

(1) A stop lamp on the rear which shall emit a red or yellow light and which shall be actuated upon application of the service (foot) brake and which may but need not be incorporated with a tail lamp; and

(2) A lamp or lamps or mechanical signal device capable of clearly indicating any intention to turn either to the right or to the left and which shall be visible both from the front and rear.

A stop lamp shall be plainly visible and understandable from a distance of one hundred feet to the rear both during normal sunlight and at nighttime and a signal lamp or lamps indicating intention to turn shall be visible and understandable during daytime and nighttime from a distance of one hundred feet both to the front and rear. When a vehicle is equipped with a stop lamp or other signal lamps, such lamp or lamps shall at all times be maintained in good working condition. No stop lamp or signal lamp shall project a glaring or dazzling light.

All mechanical signal devices shall be self-illuminated when in use at the times specified in Section 56-5-4450.

When a vehicle is so constructed or loaded that a hand-and-arm signal would not be visible both to the front and rear of such vehicle, such vehicle shall be equipped with such signal devices as are described in this section.

SECTION 56-5-4740. Warning lamps.

Any vehicle may be equipped with lamps which may be used for the purpose of warning the operators of other vehicles of the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring the exercise of unusual care in approaching, overtaking or passing, and when so equipped may display such warning in addition to any other warning signals required by this chapter. The lamps used to display such warning to the front shall be mounted at the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and shall display simultaneously flashing white or amber lights or any shade of color between white and amber. The lamps used to display such warning to the rear shall be mounted at the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and shall show simultaneously flashing amber or red lights or any shade of color between amber and red. These warning lights shall be visible from a distance of not less than five hundred feet under normal atmospheric conditions at night.

SECTION 56-5-4750. Side cowl, running board and back-up lamps.

Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two side cowl or fender lamps which shall emit an amber or white light without glare.

Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than one running-board courtesy lamp on each side thereof which shall emit a white or amber light without glare.

Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two back-up lamps either separately or in combination with other lamps, but any such back-up lamp shall not be lighted when the motor vehicle is in forward motion.
Front parking lights, turn signals, & hazard lights can be amber or white no matter what year it is...:woot:

·
db
986 Posts
Straight from the South Carolina DMV Vehicle Code:

Front parking lights, turn signals, & hazard lights can be amber or white no matter what year it is...:woot:
there you go. i was just tryin to help you out so you didn't get harressed. i assume most people know about the rule that a car manufactured before a law is put is is grandfathered in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts