Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Press Release

Toyota Australia will unveil the supercharged TRD HiLux at the Brisbane International Motor Show ahead of its launch in the second quarter of 2008.

Queensland manager Sean Hanley said the TRD HiLux had completed all testing and would begin production in the second half of February.

TRD HiLux will be the second vehicle in the TRD line-up, following the launch in August last year of TRD Aurion.

The performance-oriented 4x4 double cab is distinguished by a boldly designed exterior and interior, penned by Toyota Style Australia.

TRD engineers have supercharged the 4.0-litre V6 engine for sports-car performance and have enhanced the suspension, brakes and styling without detracting from its off-road ability.

Maximum power will gain more than 25 per cent compared with the standard engine's 235HP. Peak torque will jump from 277 lb-ft. to well over 295lb-ft.

"HiLux is now the best-selling vehicle in Queensland, so it is fitting for Queensland motorists to be the first to see the final production version of the TRD-enhanced model," Mr Hanley said.

Toyota's stand would also display five other vehicles never previously seen at a Brisbane show.

"Toyota's TRD Aurion, LandCruiser 200 Series, new Corolla hatch, RAV4 V6 and new-generation Kluger are all new models launched in the past eight months," Mr Hanley said.

Fittingly, in 2007 - for the first time - Queensland motorists bought more HiLuxes than any other vehicle.

The total of 12,640 HiLuxes was an increase of 23 per cent on the previous year.

Toyota also extended its market leadership in Queensland with total sales surpassing 50,000 for the first time.

The company's total of 56,230 new vehicles was up 15.7 per cent compared with the average market increase of 10.4 per cent.

Toyota's market share in Queensland at 24.0 per cent is the highest of any state - and bigger than the combined totals of its two nearest rivals.

Toyota also led 10 market segments - light cars (Yaris), small cars (Corolla), medium cars (Camry), compact SUV (RAV4), medium SUV (Prado), large SUV (LandCruiser wagon), light van and light bus (HiAce) and 4x2 and 4x4 pick-up/cab-chassis (HiLux).

·
BCS = t3h suck
1,393 Posts
The Aurion looks nice and the truck looks like a Tacoma, which you can get a TRD supercharger for just not from the factory.

·
54,424 Posts
we did get the hilux back in the day before the taco.. it was just the toyota pickup though
yea, but we never got the diesel engine for it. and while the 22R and 22RE are good engines, we also never got the 22RTE which also sucks. if the diesel had been offered stateside in the pickup they would have been alot more famous.

·
Let it wang
962 Posts
yea, but we never got the diesel engine for it. and while the 22R and 22RE are good engines, we also never got the 22RTE which also sucks. if the diesel had been offered stateside in the pickup they would have been alot more famous.
A local junkyard hear specializes in putting diesel engines in old Toyota pickups. I have personally never heard of the Hilux until making a trip down there because we sold him an old Toyota. He claims the gas mileage is amazing in the little pickups with diesel engines.

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, those things will run forever on one tank. My dad and I made a ~700km trip in Thailand on one tank with a Hilux Tiger that had a 2.5L turbodiesel in it, and it still had at least a third of the tank left when we got to Khao Luc.

Another Toyota model that I wish we can get in the 'States is the Fortuner. This one can be equipped with a 2.5L or 3.0L Turbodiesel and 4WD. :yum:

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,305 Posts
OT Question ... why is diesel fuel more expensive right now? Around here, it's averaging $3.29 a gallon :sweat:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Apparently a lot of reasoning behind why we cant get stuff like that here is federal regulation. US laws are way more stringent. :sad:
Exactly, and thanks to Bush and his new CAFE regulations(which are absolutely ridiculus IMO) we will be seeing less and less performance oriented vehicles.:(

·
54,424 Posts
this is kinda a shot in the dark, but im guessing that it takes more petroleum in the manufacturing of diesel fuels than gasoline fuels..:dunno:
neg, it all comes from the same crude. diesel fuel iirc accounts for a larger % of the barrel of crude than lighter fuels like gasoline.

its higher at local stations because the demand is for gasoline so the stations are stocking and getting more gasoline, so diesel costs more. however if you go to an interstate truck stop or real fuel depot diesel fuel costs less than gasoline.

·
Wanna be my Sheep?
8,255 Posts
OT Question ... why is diesel fuel more expensive right now? Around here, it's averaging $3.29 a gallon :sweat:
diesel fuel is very similar in composition to "fuel oil" or "heating oil" which is heavily used in the midwest and east coast for heat during winter (the distillates group IIRC). Thus its demand is significantly higher during the winter months than summer which in turn leads to higher prices. During summer months when gasoline prices spike, diesel tends to stay about flat.

And Bitter is right about the freeway gas stations, around here at normal stations diesel is ~$3.35 with gas at ~$2.95, but at the freeway stations diesel is about $3.00 with gas at the same $2.95. I find any excuse I can to go to a truck stop to fill my truck up.

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,305 Posts
neg, it all comes from the same crude. diesel fuel iirc accounts for a larger % of the barrel of crude than lighter fuels like gasoline.

its higher at local stations because the demand is for gasoline so the stations are stocking and getting more gasoline, so diesel costs more. however if you go to an interstate truck stop or real fuel depot diesel fuel costs less than gasoline.
diesel fuel is very similar in composition to "fuel oil" or "heating oil" which is heavily used in the midwest and east coast for heat during winter (the distillates group IIRC). Thus its demand is significantly higher during the winter months than summer which in turn leads to higher prices. During summer months when gasoline prices spike, diesel tends to stay about flat.

And Bitter is right about the freeway gas stations, around here at normal stations diesel is ~$3.35 with gas at ~$2.95, but at the freeway stations diesel is about $3.00 with gas at the same $2.95. I find any excuse I can to go to a truck stop to fill my truck up.
:cool: Thanks for the info.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts