Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i've been trying to search everywhere and cannot find a single post about this. I am looking at a GT35r turbo for those who dont know is made by Garett Turbos.

Now i understand that this turbo might give some sort of boost lag, but i dont see why else we are not using this for big numbers. I've searched around and found alot of cars who upgrade to the T3/T4 turbos put themselves in the 300whp range alot like we are. IE. DSM's, Hondas, and a few other cars. Obviously with the Gt series turbo we will have to run lower boost but on a built motor wouldnt there be great power increase?

This turbo just seems as if it has way more potential for way bigger numbers on our cars with a built motor, im hoping one of the bigger turbo guru's can shed some light on this subject for me. Since we are all here to learn.

Here is the info on the turbo itself:
Compressor: T04S housing (4" inlet, 2.5" outlet)
56 trim .70 A/R , flows 65 LB/MIN

Turbine: T3 inlet, 3" outlet (V-Band)
84 trim .82 A/R

PS- Also my friend is upgrading his STI turbo to a GT35r and i know the sti turbo will not work with our cars on stock internals because of the heat build up on such a small turbo, but for a 2.5L he isnt expecting much boostlag, so on our 3.0L or 3.5L it Lag shouldnt be much of a problem for us.

Thanks in Advance for those who spread some knowledge to everyone on this topic

Thanks

Nabeel :)

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
okay never mind i just found a guy with this turbo on our car on yahoo, but still why dont we use this turbo more often rather then the T3 or T4

·
I hate stance
10,295 Posts
T3/T4's already lag enough. Personally I am a fan of the 16g's. You can only shoot for numbers so high on a FWD regardless because you won't be able to put it all down. At least that's my view for the 4bangers, not sure how the v6 guys feel

·
I hate stance
10,295 Posts
did you see the price tag? its expensive, and actually i was thinking about using that turbo once i build a motor for my car, its not gt its a gs but with a fully built motor that turbo should be fine with a littlle turbo lag but shit all turbos have a little lag
I hear people throw around the term "built motor" all the time ranging from forged pistons to complete blueprinting of the assembly :noplease:

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear people throw around the term "built motor" all the time ranging from forged pistons to complete blueprinting of the assembly :noplease:
haah ya i agree with you playa about the 16g but i cant use that turbo because of it being to small, and the heat build up inside the housing and causing premature pistons. I seen a GT35r on a 2.3L and it spooled up good but i only seen it in 3rd gear. Its a ballbearing turbo so when it does spool it should be great

·
I hate stance
10,295 Posts
haah ya i agree with you playa about the 16g but i cant use that turbo because of it being to small, and the heat build up inside the housing and causing premature pistons. I seen a GT35r on a 2.3L and it spooled up good but i only seen it in 3rd gear. Its a ballbearing turbo so when it does spool it should be great
Most turbo's you get now ARE ballbearing. As far as the 16g being too small idk about that. I think you phrased something wrong, but before going FI I think anybody should get a set of pistons first. Engine temps DO sometimes get out of control. Hell, before I killed my little 14b I had her up to about 14psi and she was extremely hot. Simple solutions like water wetter, heat wrap, better hoses, oil cooler, and a neat little vent system made out of dryer hoses I fitted with vacuum cleaner fittings inside my grille kept my heat manageable. I imagine with an oil cooler I would have been fine. The 16g is a great flowing turbo and it spools rather quick, for a FWD street performer that is also fun to drive I give it 5 stars. I mean, there is nothing like a hybrid when you start taching up. I have a book where the author related it to "getting hit in the behind by a Mack truck", and that's exactly what it is like, but when you're on those sweet windy roads there's nothing like a smaller turbo to blast you through there. All in all I think all you need to do is set a goal.

·
Resident Asshole
6,056 Posts
T3/T4's already lag enough. Personally I am a fan of the 16g's. You can only shoot for numbers so high on a FWD regardless because you won't be able to put it all down. At least that's my view for the 4bangers, not sure how the v6 guys feel
lag with a t3/t4 on a v6:confused: we used t4's and the lag wasn't bad at all. please dont post unless you dont have knowledge about the subject. it just clutters the thread. anything must smaller then a t4 and you'll prolly run into heat issues and blow the motor like jayhawk did. i believe jayhawk was running a t3 when it happened

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
Most turbo's you get now ARE ballbearing.
Umm.. No, you would be wrong. Most turbos still come with journal bearings. In fact, EVERY turbo that doesn't specifically state that it is a ball bearing turbo is a journal bearing style turbo.

Thank you, try again.

·
I hate stance
10,295 Posts
Umm.. No, you would be wrong. Most turbos still come with journal bearings. In fact, EVERY turbo that doesn't specifically state that it is a ball bearing turbo is a journal bearing style turbo.

Thank you, try again.
Aren't most of the T3's T3/T4's, and T4's all ball bearing turbo's? Correct me if I'm wrong but that's what the majority of 3g projects use.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thank you, try again.
correct, playa Tearstone stated in an old thread that the Big 16 is too small for our cars, it is an ideal turbo for you 4cyl guys but too small of a turbo for the 3L or 3.5L guys. Well maybe with different pistons there could be diffferent results but other then that its a no go.

·
I hate stance
10,295 Posts
correct, playa Tearstone stated in an old thread that the Big 16 is too small for our cars, it is an ideal turbo for you 4cyl guys but too small of a turbo for the 3L or 3.5L guys. Well maybe with different pistons there could be diffferent results but other then that its a no go.
I know, refer to post #9

Also, most feel that before considering going FI with a gt pistons are a must with any turbo project.

·
Resident Asshole
6,056 Posts
Aren't most of the T3's T3/T4's, and T4's all ball bearing turbo's? Correct me if I'm wrong but that's what the majority of 3g projects use.
no, they aren't. the ones that came with the tearstone kit had journal bearings. ball bearing was an upgrade. most ball bearing turbo's are 400+ more than their equivalent journal bearing turbo

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know, refer to post #9

Also, most feel that before considering going FI with a gt pistons are a must with any turbo project.
oh of course but im talking about running on stock internals, and it hasn't been done before on a v6. The high end might be horrible because of the size of the turbo. Many people run stock internals on their motors, of course they are a must if you are running high boost but other then that it should be fine :)

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
no, they aren't. the ones that came with the tearstone kit had journal bearings. ball bearing was an upgrade. most ball bearing turbo's are 400+ more than their equivalent journal bearing turbo
Ryu i belive is running a T4 turbocharger, his is from Russ correct?
And i think russ used the standard bearing

·
I hate stance
10,295 Posts
some t3/t4's i know come with the journal bearing styles not sure of just T3 or just T4.
No I think you're right, I'm looking right now and most auctions don't state whether it is ball bearing or not. Right from Turbonetics

"NOTE: When ordering, please specify wet or dry bearing housing, dynamic or carbon steel, compressor trim, turbine trim and A/R."

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No I think you're right, I'm looking right now and most auctions don't state whether it is ball bearing or not. Right from Turbonetics

"NOTE: When ordering, please specify wet or dry bearing housing, dynamic or carbon steel, compressor trim, turbine trim and A/R."
See everyone learns! but why do people pick the T3 T3/T4 or T4 rather then the GT25,GT35, and if your insanly crazy (and dont want to get traction what so ever GT42 turbos

1 - 20 of 37 Posts