Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i get a wierd like eeeerrrrrr sound when the car is cold and it gets alot louder if i try turning the steering wheel at all,....is there a bearing of some sort in the power steering that could go bad?, im not sure what it could be but it goes away after the car warms up

·
Registered
223 Posts
When I lived in northern MI, it would get so cold that the belts were almost frozen. They whined like hell until the engine compartment warmed up enough. The whine would get worse if I turned the wheel. I'm thinking it's because the power steering draws power and causes the engine to rev slightly.
If it the car is sitting in below-freezing temps over night, give it time to warm up before you start driving. You don't necessarily have to wait for it to completely heat up and start blowing hot air in the cabin, but a good 4 or 5 minutes to defrost and get the oil flowing.
As for the sound, I never had any damage from it. As long as you don't put any significant load on the engine, you should be fine.

·
Relapsed.
1,811 Posts
dont mean to thread jack but mine idles up to 1k then drops all the way down and keeps doing so until it either idles very low and then slowly moves up or dies off. Sometimes i have to rev it up for a min then it seems to hold a idle.

·
Registered
223 Posts
dont mean to thread jack but mine idles up to 1k then drops all the way down and keeps doing so until it either idles very low and then slowly moves up or dies off. Sometimes i have to rev it up for a min then it seems to hold a idle.
Check for vacuum leaks and make sure your octane is over 91. Cold shouldn't make you stall (or almost stall).

edit: also, if you've done anything that requires battery removal, you have to idle for 20 mins before driving to let the ECU relearn the idle

·
Relapsed.
1,811 Posts
Check for vacuum leaks and make sure your octane is over 91. Cold shouldn't make you stall (or almost stall).

edit: also, if you've done anything that requires battery removal, you have to idle for 20 mins before driving to let the ECU relearn the idle
Might have to let it idle for 20min due to my battery cable tends to slip out once in a while will be changing battery cables and clamps soon as well as battery.

·
Registered
223 Posts
That might no it, but usually you have to have the battery unplugged for a minute or 2 for the ECU to reset and need the idle treatment.

BTW, I had my car in northern MI for 4 years, so if anyone needs cold start advise, PM or email me.

·
Relapsed.
1,811 Posts
That might no it, but usually you have to have the battery unplugged for a minute or 2 for the ECU to reset and need the idle treatment.

BTW, I had my car in northern MI for 4 years, so if anyone needs cold start advise, PM or email me.
well i took it off over night due to my alarm mysteriously going off thats how i found out the cable was loose from the clamp.

·
Registered
223 Posts
well i took it off over night due to my alarm mysteriously going off thats how i found out the cable was loose from the clamp.
Then defiantly idle for at least 20 mins to reset the ECU. I have 103k miles and it takes 30+ minutes to reset, otherwise it stalls on me.

edit: is it just the bolt that's causing problems? any stainless bolt will work for tightening the clamp down. If the clamp is cracked, that's a different story.

·
Relapsed.
1,811 Posts
Then defiantly idle for at least 20 mins to reset the ECU. I have 103k miles and it takes 30+ minutes to reset, otherwise it stalls on me.

edit: is it just the bolt that's causing problems? any stainless bolt will work for tightening the clamp down. If the clamp is cracked, that's a different story.
Not sure will take a look at it tommarrow just personally think the clamp is a bit to big. Only because it does this from time to time.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Is that mainly just an issue with the GT? I've reset my PCM quite a few times between installing the AVIC D3, doing the sporty swap, etc...the longest I had to let it idle for was about 5 minutes...maybe I've just been lucky...:ugh2:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Is that mainly just an issue with the GT? I've reset my PCM quite a few times between installing the AVIC D3, doing the sporty swap, etc...the longest I had to let it idle for was about 5 minutes...maybe I've just been lucky...:ugh2:
When I lower miles on the car, 5 mins or less would do the trick. I think the older it gets, the longer it takes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts