Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I've got a 2000 Eclipse RS and I've been looking for some new wheels. I'd really like to get a set of 3000GT base model wheels (16x8), as they're pretty wide. I've tried searching the forums but I get mixed results: some say they'll fit, other say they won't. I believe the offset is +45 or +46.

I'm sure it also depends on the tire size too. One guy is selling some in my area with tires and they're 225/55R16. From what I've read, there's some concern that it may rub in the back.

So, I guess I'm really looking for a definitive answer (even though that may not be possible). Based on the wheel and tire size, is it theoretically possible? Has anyone successfully done this before (I've never seen a 3G with 3kGT wheels)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I've researched, the stock RS wheels are 15x6 (I couldn't find offset). The GT wheels are 17x6.5 with an offset of +46. It seems like the stock 3000GT wheels are 1.5 to 2 inches wider than stock 3G wheels.

I also used the tire/wheel combination calculator from that thread. I used the stock 3G GT wheels (17x6.5, 215/50-17) with stock tires and pluged in the 3000GT wheels with tires (16x8, 225/55R16). The results were:

Wheel Inboard increase (inches): 0.75
Wheel Outboard increase (inches): 0.75
Tire & Wheel Inboard increase (inches): 0.945
Tire & Wheel Outboard increase (inches): 0.945

I'm not really too familiar with the terminology, but I'm guessing that means the stock 3000GT wheels with said tire combination is about an inch wider on the outside and inside compared to the stock 3G-GT wheels.

But does that mean it'll rub? I hope I can extrapolate the data from the GT to fit the RS...

·
Registered
844 Posts
they fit.

i ran them with 225/50 tires. it's VERY close in the rear, but it doesn't rub. the coils on the front brake lines do rub against the inside of the front wheels tho.

17/18x8.5 vr4 wheels fit too. all that's needed is a 3-5mm spacer in the rear. you can run up to a 255/40/17 (255/35/18) tire.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I bolted my 17x8 3000GT wheels onto my 00 GS with 245/45/17s. They looked great but the rears touched the upper control arm. The fronts rubbed the splash sheilds at lock. You'd definitely need spacers and/or narrower/shorter tires. Spacers would make the wheels sit too far out, IMHO.
tire height is definitely the issue here. i ran 255/40 and rubbed nothing up front, and a 3-5 mm spacer in the rear still keeps the wheel inside the fender.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts