Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yay or Nay?

Anyone got insight on this?

Maybe I should test it out on my laptop first, rather than fubar my main PC. Running Win7 on both.

·
Super Moderator
4,744 Posts
I'll give it a shot, if I don't like it I'll just wipe the laptop clean and go back to Windows 7 which I have been a huge fan of. Hopefully it's better than 8.1 which I have on a very cheap laptop that I got.

·
6,548 Posts
Windows 7 was great and all but you ole' hags need to move on! Windows 8/.1 is great, if you take a couple weeks to learn how it works. I'll be doing the free upgrade once available.

·
Willful Aspirer
2,356 Posts
Windows 7 was great and all but you ole' hags need to move on! Windows 8/.1 is great, if you take a couple weeks to learn how it works. I'll be doing the free upgrade once available.
This ^

Also I have been running the Windows 10 Tech Preview and the Pre-Preview Beta version since I was able to get my hands on it and love it. It is basically a 10x faster windows 7 that's just as desktop friendly but yet has all of the cool features windows 8 added. Plus it's free for a year if you have Win8.1 or Windows 7 SP1 so why not give it a try? You can always go back.

·
New Rider
13,698 Posts
I like it, but I do not like the automatic updates. I am on a metered connection (satellite) and I have to watch out for my data.

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:yesway: Signed up for the free upgrade. It's not out until July 29th according to the invitation.

·
Patty Cakes
13,055 Posts
The last desktop-based OS. Everything after will be cloud-based. All everyone will have at home will be dummy, glorified NIC stations that require 24-7 internet access just to function.

Need internet access to fire up the calculator? Solitaire? Yeah. Brilliant.

·
"I dunno" guy
2,555 Posts
The last desktop-based OS. Everything after will be cloud-based. All everyone will have at home will be dummy, glorified NIC stations that require 24-7 internet access just to function.

Need internet access to fire up the calculator? Solitaire? Yeah. Brilliant.
Yeah, that's the dumbest idea ever. These dumbasses don't really get out much do they? Try doing everything over a 5Mbps DSL line with 500ms round trip latency. CloudOS is retarded

·
Willful Aspirer
2,356 Posts
Free for a year? Win 7 is free as long as my laptop holds out. ..
Exactly what jstewart said. You can download it for free within the year then it is free forever. If you wait until after a year then the upgrade costs money.
I believe he means the upgrade period...
I like it, but I do not like the automatic updates. I am on a metered connection (satellite) and I have to watch out for my data.
Scratching my head at this, why not just disable them then like you can do in all of the windows updates?

Yeah, that's the dumbest idea ever. These dumbasses don't really get out much do they? Try doing everything over a 5Mbps DSL line with 500ms round trip latency. CloudOS is retarded
You also have to realize you're not their target consumer in this case. The older desktop versions will always be available however to people who have shitty connections.

·
lit up
4,334 Posts
Scratching my head at this, why not just disable them then like you can do in all of the windows updates?
Here Are The Features Microsoft Is Cutting From Windows 10

Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.
my understanding of this(via the text in the article, and further reading in the comments) is that with the home edition, all updates are forced and installed with no option to opt out. but with pro/entireprise editions, the opt-out and notification-only options are available within windows update....

You also have to realize you're not their target consumer in this case. The older desktop versions will always be available however to people who have shitty connections.
yeah, well not all of us want computers that require an internet connection just to boot up. xbox1 was the first gaming system i considered getting because of the games it has and the quality of the system. but i refuse to get one because of the constant-internet requirement. it's bullshit for a device like that. i shouldn't need to feed it internet just to play a game off a disc that i bought for a single-player mode. i don't even like farcry4 on my pc accessing the internet during gameplay. games are a personal challenge for me. i don't care how anyone else in the world plays the games...

also, have you noticed how you cannot get win7 computers anymore? stores only stock the latest/greatest.. so that means that if windows goes over to a cloud-based system, then the only thing that will be in stores are cloud-based pc's. sure, some people won't care, but i think many will migrate to other platforms that allow for local computing.

there needs to be a bigger plan for this though, as businesses will never accept that, and there are tons and tons of small businesses that just use home-edition pc's for all of their business stuff-- and the first time internet goes out, all of those businesses that use the pc's for mostly local files will be throwing those pc's out with the trash and switching to mac or something..

·
Willful Aspirer
2,356 Posts
yeah, well not all of us want computers that require an internet connection just to boot up. xbox1 was the first gaming system i considered getting because of the games it has and the quality of the system. but i refuse to get one because of the constant-internet requirement. it's bullshit for a device like that. i shouldn't need to feed it internet just to play a game off a disc that i bought for a single-player mode. i don't even like farcry4 on my pc accessing the internet during gameplay. games are a personal challenge for me. i don't care how anyone else in the world plays the games...

also, have you noticed how you cannot get win7 computers anymore? stores only stock the latest/greatest.. so that means that if windows goes over to a cloud-based system, then the only thing that will be in stores are cloud-based pc's. sure, some people won't care, but i think many will migrate to other platforms that allow for local computing.

there needs to be a bigger plan for this though, as businesses will never accept that, and there are tons and tons of small businesses that just use home-edition pc's for all of their business stuff-- and the first time internet goes out, all of those businesses that use the pc's for mostly local files will be throwing those pc's out with the trash and switching to mac or something..
I can play on my XBox1 without internet just fine? At college when our network was down for a week it worked perfectly except of course for playing online.

But I see what you're saying about windows, and I also doubt that they would make a full switch over to cloud based computing anytime within the next 50 years or so. They might be talking about it, but that doesn't mean it will happen.

·
"I dunno" guy
2,555 Posts
Then they need to pull their heads out of their collective asses. Majority of the world is not equipped with always on high speed Internet. Many parts of the world also meter their Internet connection. Imagine you run out of bandwidth middle of the month and well, you need to connect to MSFT to "reauthorize" your computer. Do you want to pay the ridiculous overage charges or live without your computer for the rest of the month?

·
Patty Cakes
13,055 Posts
Then they need to pull their heads out of their collective asses. Majority of the world is not equipped with always on high speed Internet. Many parts of the world also meter their Internet connection. Imagine you run out of bandwidth middle of the month and well, you need to connect to MSFT to "reauthorize" your computer. Do you want to pay the ridiculous overage charges or live without your computer for the rest of the month?
This.

Plus, we don't even need to look too far. Just across the States, are A LOT of places still considered the boonies, all but without internet infrastructure. To make do, they still use the old Hughes Earth Station VSAT dishes. On a nice sunny day, it's barely as good as the first-generation DSL connections. On cloudy days, 56k dial-up connection quality already surpasses it. On rainy and/or stormy days? Forget it.

Hell, I live in a major metropolitan city (Dallas-Fort Worth), and my Time Warner internet service is barely decent at best, when it should be decent as a norm.

Cloud-based OSs ONLY work in a local environment, i.e. in the same damn building, up to maybe immediate adjacent buildings with hardwire connections.

Microsoft is forcing everyone to march to the beat of their new set of drums, thinking the market will follow regardless. They will find out that they are sorely mistaken. Heck, with Server2k3 being killed very soon, a lot of businesses are already considering other solutions, which all but completely abandon MS.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts