Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 316 Posts

·
GT35 DOHC 500wHp
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Winter 2007-2008 progress
So I started with my engine…
January 13 at 10 am me and my brother helping me started taking engine out by 2 pm it was n my garage with tranny. By 3 am I was all apart
Here are some pictures
I was impressed how clean head is WOW AMS oil rocks

Pistons like new

Received Pistons and rods on January 15

Block back from machine shop January 19

Same day installing oil squirters because my machine chop did not know how to do it.

One installed

Monday January 21 head back from machine shop
4 angle Valve job and 1mm over sized valves

I will post updates as i go....

·
turbo? unf unf!
1,972 Posts
nice man nice! show us more pics as you get them

Reactions: Voodoo

·
GT35 DOHC 500wHp
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I went with JE 8.5 CR and 1mm overbore
I never heard of main bolts failing i was thinking to replace them but than changed my mind.
I will replace head bolts, and eagles already have ARP's.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Factory main bolts have a very weak tensile strength. The ARP's are awesome and are cheap insurance. If they go out, your crank goes wild and will split the block in half. I've seen it happen to a guy on the evolution forums. Just do it while you got the motor out or else you'll regret it. $60

EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts - ARP Main Studs: Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII & IX

Although if you go with them you'll have to check the clearance on all your main bearings again because they torque down tighter than the factory bolts. Love the setup otherwise!

Also, what are you doing for engine management and wiring harness? I thought you might be going with atleast the stock evo ecu. Will the evo wiring harness plug in to everything under the hood that isn't evo stuff?

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
Factory main bolts have a very weak tensile strength. The ARP's are awesome and are cheap insurance. If they go out, your crank goes wild and will split the block in half. I've seen it happen to a guy on the evolution forums. Just do it while you got the motor out or else you'll regret it. $60

EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts - ARP Main Studs: Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII & IX

Although if you go with them you'll have to check the clearance on all your main bearings again because they torque down tighter than the factory bolts. Love the setup otherwise!

Also, what are you doing for engine management and wiring harness? I thought you might be going with atleast the stock evo ecu. Will the evo wiring harness plug in to everything under the hood that isn't evo stuff?
I opted to keep my main studs too. I talked to several people, and they told me since I wasn't going over 400hp, its a pretty safe situation. I understand if you're planning on getting into the 600-700hp range you would want to upgrade, but with street drivability ranges of power, you're fine with the stockers.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I opted to keep my main studs too. I talked to several people, and they told me since I wasn't going over 400hp, its a pretty safe situation. I understand if you're planning on getting into the 600-700hp range you would want to upgrade, but with street drivability ranges of power, you're fine with the stockers.
It's kind of hard to tell what his goal is because he's running JE Pistons which are basically rocks but then he runs OEM Main Fasteners lol.

·
GT35 DOHC 500wHp
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think OEM mains would be that big of issue. But i am still waiting on timing and balance belt so i will order ARP main studs as well just because everybody insist LOL...

·
OMFG
6,632 Posts
It's kind of hard to tell what his goal is because he's running JE Pistons which are basically rocks but then he runs OEM Main Fasteners lol.
Yea, my point exactly. For a street car [I thought] the goal was durable, reliable, maximum power - all on pump gas..... :dunno:

·
GT35 DOHC 500wHp
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I assembled valves, received mains today, also got SS exhaust studs
Have 2 questions 1) Do you use some sort of adhesive, sealing, locking compound for exhaust studs?? 2) When you bleed lash adjusters in SM it says to install ASAP in the engine when you fill them with diesel petrol. I don’t plan to drop engine in the car for a month or so, do you guys think that I should install them right before I install engine in the car or if I assemble it now it will be fine??

1 - 20 of 316 Posts