Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Hola
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I don't know what it would be called which I why i can't search for it elsewhere, but someone let me know if something like this exists. I need something that can get a signal from my wireless router but is also a hub, so I can plug my PC and Xbox into. So I can have that hub in my room seperate from the wireless router itself? Get what I'm saying? Anyone?

KTHXBAI

·
Zero Resistance, LLC
1,948 Posts
That's called a network bridge. I have two Linksys WRT54G wireless routers running DD-WRT. One router is connected to my modem and the other router is in another room connected to the xbox. There are how-to's online and it's very easy to setup.

·
From the Internet
2,303 Posts
That's called a network bridge. I have two Linksys WRT54G wireless routers running DD-WRT. One router is connected to my modem and the other router is in another room connected to the xbox. There are how-to's online and it's very easy to setup.
DDWRT! Hell yeah! I've been running that for over a year on this thing and it runs better than it ever has.

You are looking for a Wireless Bridge with a Switch. Linksys makes a consumer version:
Amazon.com: Linksys Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge with 5-port Switch WET54GS5: Electronics

It would still be more cost effective to buy the receiver cards/adapters for the two devices.
:agreed:

BUT, the wireless adapter for the 360 is about $100, and the PC ranges from $20-$40.

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts

·
Hola
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've never heard of such, but would it just be easier get a wifi receiver for your xbox?
no, they are a hundred dollars.

The poormans option is setting up a laptop to your xbox for internet connectivity.
And that's what i am doing right now, but I can't split my laptop to give internet to both my desktop and my xbox so I was looking for a better solution that didn't involve me running 2 million foot cables throughout my house.

note: I live in what could be considered our cellar. I.e., bottom basement in a 4 story house, wireless router is in main floor.

·
Zero Resistance, LLC
1,948 Posts
The most cost effective option is to use two routers that can be flashed with DDWRT. I use the Linksys WRT54G's because the stock firmware sucks. The reviews are horrible and you can get them really cheap. Newegg often has them on sale for $45 a piece with free shipping and you can get them used for less on ebay. Once you flash them with DDWRT they become very reliable and customizable.

You connect one to your modem and set it up like any other wireless router. The one being used in a remote location just needs to have "network bridge" selected in a drop down menu and you change a few ip addresses and you're done. Now the two routers interact as if they are one unit.

I currently have one router in a room with internet. My main desktop, server and several wireless devices are connected to that. The other router is hooked up to an xbox modded with media center. It works great. I use the xbox to wirelessly stream music,movies and games from the server. G has never given me any problems, even with larger HD videos and the wireless setup cost less than $100.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
Is there a network bridge that has a print server built into it? I'd love to be able to have a repeater where I can use it as a host for the printer to share out to all the devices in the house.

A step up from that, would be a Network Storage Device, functioning as a bridge, with print server capabilities.

·
Zero Resistance, LLC
1,948 Posts
Is there a network bridge that has a print server built into it? I'd love to be able to have a repeater where I can use it as a host for the printer to share out to all the devices in the house.

A step up from that, would be a Network Storage Device, functioning as a bridge, with print server capabilities.
If you have a printer hooked up to a computer on your network, you can right click on the printer and turn sharing on in the properties menu. The printer will then show up in your workgroup and any computer in the workgroup can print to it. You may be able to map it as well. I've set up a printer like this in the past, but I don't currently have a printer so I might be missing a detail or two. A printer with a wireless LAN connection could be setup the same way, but wouldn't need to be connected to a computer.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
If you have a printer hooked up to a computer on your network, you can right click on the printer and turn sharing on in the properties menu. The printer will then show up in your workgroup and any computer in the workgroup can print to it. You may be able to map it as well. I've set up a printer like this in the past, but I don't currently have a printer so I might be missing a detail or two. A printer with a wireless LAN connection could be setup the same way, but wouldn't need to be connected to a computer.
Thanks, I'm well aware.

However, if I want a printer to sit somewhere centralized while every computer in the house is a laptop, I need a printer server. It's currently connected to a desktop and shared, but I want to remove that desktop - it's no longer used.

The printer does not have a LAN option, wireless or wired.

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
I have to echo the use of DD-WRT and the Linksys WRT54g router. I bought one for $40, because I was appalled at the $100 MS wants for the wireless adapter for the xbox. Even the 3rd party idiots want $80 for them. So, now I have my main wireless router (which is from Fios, and has standard firmware - nothing had to be done to it) at one end of the house, and my DD-WRT router at the other end. It works fantastically, and increases range and capability for very little money.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Netgear has one that may work for you (WGPS606). I have no idea how well the print server part of it works as I have been using it strictly as a wireless bridge.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
I have to echo the use of DD-WRT and the Linksys WRT54g router. I bought one for $40, because I was appalled at the $100 MS wants for the wireless adapter for the xbox. Even the 3rd party idiots want $80 for them. So, now I have my main wireless router (which is from Fios, and has standard firmware - nothing had to be done to it) at one end of the house, and my DD-WRT router at the other end. It works fantastically, and increases range and capability for very little money.
And yes - you can use DD-WRT as a print server (depending on the router model you use)

Printer Sharing - DD-WRT Wiki
I'm going to look into this, thanks! I have the same setup, Verizon Fios router, etc.

·
Hola
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quick question [thread res],
If I want to try out this ddwrt shit, do both of the routers need to be the same? I can get 2 Linksys WRT54GS routers for 50 bucks, but If I only need one I only want to buy one. Thanks. :bigthumb:

BTW, my current router is a belkin Fsomething-or-other

·
Registered
31 Posts
Quick question [thread res],
If I want to try out this ddwrt shit, do both of the routers need to be the same? I can get 2 Linksys WRT54GS routers for 50 bucks, but If I only need one I only want to buy one. Thanks. :bigthumb:

BTW, my current router is a belkin Fsomething-or-other
You can keep your Belkin router as-is. Buy a WRT54G, flash it with DDWRT, and set it up as a client/bridge. It will relay the wireless signal in your house and allow you to have wired connections to it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts