Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
08/05/2008
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know of a well laid out site dealing with wiring your house with Cat5e or Cat6? I am looking for the basics all the way up to some more advanced uses. I'd like to start doing some research on the matter just to get an idea of what I may do in the future.

Basic uses would be for video distribution, internet connectivity, phone, perhaps home security, and if I ever win the lotto maybe some home automation. ;)

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Cat6e is the better stuff out right now for internet. You can use that same stuff for telephone as well, but it usually only uses one pair for phone. A red and a green. I just wired up my buddies house and I used green for green and greens pair, white for the red. Just keep it consistent and it wont actally matter what colors you use.

I worked at an electrical warehouse for 3 years so I learned a lot. I wired up all my friends outlets and switches as well as high hats, tv, telephone, fans, ect.

As for networking, color codes, I never did that stuff yet. I did watch my boss do it for our networking at the shop, and the colors do matter, and you dont want any kinks in the wires because it can cause a weaker signal.

Good luck! And If I can help, shoot me a PM and I will try. As for sites, search for wire color positions in network cables.

Also you can get rg6 for television. They make many kinds now too, 95%, quad shielded, and basic, it all costs about the same for the better stuff, and before we left we were selling a lot of the quad stuff. It is better for HD stuff.

You can search for central vacuum system, which the women will love, as well as intercom systems. The brand we sold was NUTONE and they are really great for that stuff!

For your lottery - Home automation - Search for lutron and look at their site for radioRA! That is great! It will cost about 1000 dollars for a set up though.

We were also selling a network box that you can place an alarm system in as well as networking and cable, for "Home Runs." The company that supplied that was SIEMENS but I believe they stopped making them. INTERMATIC sells them also I believe.

Are you just updating electric or getting ideas to wire a new house!

·
Christopher Pearce
2,542 Posts
I often find myself making CAT5E cables at work when hooking up new computers and what-not. The colors do matter for this type of setup. The colors are as follows: Orange/White, Orange, Green/White, Blue, Blue/White, Green, Brown/White, Brown. This standard is the TIA/EIA-568-B T568B Wiring.

·
Unemployable
3,617 Posts
Would you consider just doing wireless connections? My parents had a house built in 2005 that was wired for everything, but they ended up having wireless internet, stereo system, ect...

·
Christopher Pearce
2,542 Posts
Wireless is another option to consider. I don't know why I didn't even think to mention that...

·
Future M.D.
854 Posts
Just a small bit of advice: If you decide to go with a hard wired setup (which I would recommend if you have the resources) stay away from CAT6. It does offer a small amount of signal boost over CAT5e, but for a home setup you won't see any difference at all. CAT6 was designed with large amounts of data transfer in mind (large corporations, blah blah blah), and even so its outdated with fiber optic cables. AAAAAaaanyway, CAT5 is much cheaper and much easier to work with. If you have the money, go with a hard wired CAT5 setup, you won't regret it :)

PS: I worked for a company that wired buildings for large businesses for 3 years :wiggle:

Reactions: Bro'Man

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
Tim - There are a lot of sites on the internet that basically all tell you the same thing about how to wire a network. It takes a lot of sweat, but its worth it in the end. You can do everything wirelessly, but nothing gives the speed and security of a hard-wired network.

I personally have not wired my place - because home ownership is non-issue here in metro NJ, but many of my friends have. I'd suggest purchasing a network rack, and installing it ideally near your phone NI. Most likely the basement. Your switch and router can go here, to be kept nice and neat, as well as any other splitter/switcher devices you choose to use.

Others talked about it above as far as wire colors in cat5/6 - There are 4 pairs, and they look like this when you look at the non-tab side of a cable end.

It's a cool cable because it can be used for so many things. This can help you in getting the most out of it. Pairs start from the middle out, since you can use an rj-12 end (phone) just by clipping pairs 3 and 4. Pairs 2 and 3 are used for ethernet. Pair one is pots. Pair 4 is typically only used in WAN applications, so in the home it will be a free pair, and you can use it for various things. Good luck!

·
08/05/2008
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info. Running the actual cable is pretty straight forward. I just need to make sure what services I really want to have in each room and that will dictate how many I need to run to each room. I am more confused by what I need in my network rack. Some things I have read suggested using UPS and other items but never explain the reasoning why. Why would I need a uninterruptible power supply when if the power in the rest of the house is out I can't use it anyways? Is it just another surge protection type item to protect my electronics?

I would eventually like my house wired because wireless is iffy. The speeds aren't as great as wired, the security isn't as great as wired, and there is less things to impede the signal.

:dunno:

I am just trying to educate myself a little more now so when I actually have the money I can make it happen.

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
Some things I have read suggested using UPS and other items but never explain the reasoning why. Why would I need a uninterruptible power supply when if the power in the rest of the house is out I can't use it anyways? Is it just another surge protection type item to protect my electronics?

In addition to the surge protection--leveling out power spikes and such--it also helps for those times that the power "flicks" off for a second or so.

I just built a house this past year and had planned for a long time to prewire the house for all sorts of good stuff. However, when it came down to it, I went to less wiring. I have a phone and CATV jack in each bedroom, the family room, and the office. I decided that when it comes to the point I need to add to the computer network, I will just go wireless. Same with the phones--most jacks are not used since I have a wireless phone with 4 handsets.

·
Suby Slider
5,239 Posts
A UPS is a necessaty with expensive electronics like that. It is a form of surge protection. Businesses use them to make sure their servers never go down to allow transactions to continue. Use it in your case to make sure a surge won't blast your electronics.
Wireless signal impedance isn't as much of an issue anymore. With 802.11G, there is less signal degradation with walls and other structures. The new N standard is even better about that as well as faster.
If you want to be prepared for the future, and few well placed wireless repeaters tucked away will be your best bet.
Also, in the coming years, WiMAX will be coming out. I don't feel like explaining that, but a simple google search will answer those questions. It is being co-developed by Intel, so use that as a keyword.

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,305 Posts
Would you consider just doing wireless connections? My parents had a house built in 2005 that was wired for everything, but they ended up having wireless internet, stereo system, ect...
I had my parent's house setup with a wireless network. After about two years of constant phone calls about loosing connections and three dead routers, I just ran a wired network :lol: It's been trouble free for about two years now :lol:

Your experiences might vary ;)

·
Excellent Mediocrity
14,802 Posts
I've got 3 rooms wired: computer room, living room, and the bedroom.

I used Cat6 because I didn't know any better and the price wasn't much higher.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
I'll snap a photo tonight of the communications panel that's in my house. All my hardwired Cat5e, Video, phone, and security system comes down to that. Granted, I don't use the drops in the house for anything other than the main PC in the office, everything else is wireless (laptops).

This is much easier to do when buying the home and during the building phase if you want to go that route. But, it's very nice being able to go downstairs and make jack 13B hot for TV, and move the desk to the other side of the room and change from 8A to 9A if I wanted to. The best part is the simplicity of troubleshooting, having everything at a single easily accessible DEMARC. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts