Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forums here, also my first Eclipse (2002 GT), having some issues/questions. My Eclipse came with no stereo installed and I would love to install my aftermarket head unit. Problem is, there is only two or three wires left in the harness, it's all been cut and spliced for some custom setup the previous owner had using a headphone jack. Basically, the previous owner had power coming from a spliced cigarette lighter plug (a cell charger or something I believe) and tied that into the cars original speaker wiring and a 3.5mm headphone jack. I am completely lost as to how to restore the original wiring in the car so that I can install a head unit. Is this something I should bring to a Mitsubishi dealership for? I'm pretty tech savvy, however, when the job is this complicated and I don't have any knowledge of it I would much rather have someone else do it.

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
I think you're going to have to find the right wiring diagram for your year and go from there. You should be able to find the typical power, ground, speaker leads etc. called out.

You'll want to look for a small amp under the passenger seat to see if you have / had the upgraded factory system, that'll change your options.

I don't think the dealer will be much help. Buying a whole new harness and routing it through the car will be cost prohibitive. If you want to attempt to restore things you'll have to find a harness in a junkyard to splice the end back into place. otherwise just tap the wires directly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help! Wasn't aware of the amp under the passenger seat option. Going outside to check that out now! I guess I'm going to try and splice the old harness into a new harness, if I can find all of the wires, looks like a lot of them are missing..:eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turns out I have an amp under the passenger seat. Took a better look at my wiring harness. Looks like with some wire connectors and a diagram I should be able to make it work. With some patience of course..

·
lit up
4,334 Posts
might need to shoot the last owner.

metra sells a replacement main harness connector(the white one), but doesn't sell a replacement amp connector-- the connector that used to be where the green/orange/white wires are coming out. you're best off scavenging one from a pull-a-part lot and resplicing it. there will be zero guides anywhere on the correct color codes for that otherwise, as only the dumbest of morons cut it up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts