Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I wasn't going to post until I had more information, but I think maby someone has had the problem I am having before. I am busy with finals and cannot further investigate because I'm strapped time wise, but Thursday I'll get back in the problem. This is the first time I have had any problems with my car.

Tuesday night I parked the car, and it was running fine. Wednesday morning I went to start it, and it wouldn't start.:uh: I am now driving my TransAm, my backup car.

Anyway, I came home in the afternoon to try and see what I could do to fix the problem and cranked it over a few more times. I pulled a spark plug, and it was drenched with fuel, so I swapped back in the iridiums I had purchased before. I cranked it over a few more times, and nothing. :scratch:

So, now my next thought is that maby I'm not getting spark. Another member described it to me as needing fuel/compression/spark. I know that I'm getting fuel. I'll check for spark when I can get time to work on it, and if I have spark, I'll probably do a compression check next. I did check the antifreeze, and it looks clean. I pulled the dipstick, and it looks fine, but I can't tell if there is gas in there, its a possability. I cannot descern between the two petroleum products smell. I know its totally different, but I just can't tell. My other thought is through all the ECUflashing somehow I messed up the immobilizer code, which I can delete, but that will be my last thing to do. I just can't think whats the problem. I did nothing besides re-flash the ECU from the time it parked to the time I tried to start it. I was going to scale my injectors larger so that when I hit openloop it doesn't go quite so rich ( I wanted to adjust it across the whole RPM range), thats why I didn't just lean up that part of the map. The first thing I tried was putting back in the previous ROM, but was unseccessful. Oh, and I have zero CEL/MIL light

Any suggestions from someone who has possibly had this problem?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Just from the description you listed, it's a little hard to say at this point, but here's a few things to consider.

I'm glad you tried flashing your previous ROM...too bad that didn't work. Did you upgrade to a more recent version of ECUFlash though? I noticed a difference to the definition files I had, I think, when I downloaded the newer version...just a thought.

Finding out if you have spark is definitely a good step early in the diagnosis process. That will help point us in the right direction.

If the plugs are saturated, it's possible that spark isn't the issue, but you could be getting too much fuel and it's just fowling them. I know I had an issue that took me a while to figure out on the Jeep I used to have where I was flooding the engine like mad...so much to the point that raw, liquid fuel was coming out the tailpipe! It turned out that my FPR had blown it's seal, and fuel was flowing at full pressure through the vacuum line straight into my intake! I'm just glad the fuel didn't get too hot inside my cat and ignite!

Let's start with the basics though and find out if you're getting spark first...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Unless your battery broke over night, I'd try reflashing the ECU. I'd say try checking the battery terminals and wires, but since it worked a day ago, I doubt that that's your problem.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Unless your battery broke over night, I'd try reflashing the ECU. I'd say try checking the battery terminals and wires, but since it worked a day ago, I doubt that that's your problem.
He said he did try reflashing the old ROM to it, and he said it turns over...it just won't start...

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just from the description you listed, it's a little hard to say at this point, but here's a few things to consider.

I'm glad you tried flashing your previous ROM...too bad that didn't work. Did you upgrade to a more recent version of ECUFlash though? I noticed a difference to the definition files I had, I think, when I downloaded the newer version...just a thought.

Finding out if you have spark is definitely a good step early in the diagnosis process. That will help point us in the right direction.

If the plugs are saturated, it's possible that spark isn't the issue, but you could be getting too much fuel and it's just fowling them. I know I had an issue that took me a while to figure out on the Jeep I used to have where I was flooding the engine like mad...so much to the point that raw, liquid fuel was coming out the tailpipe! It turned out that my FPR had blown it's seal, and fuel was flowing at full pressure through the vacuum line straight into my intake! I'm just glad the fuel didn't get too hot inside my cat and ignite!

Let's start with the basics though and find out if you're getting spark first...
I never thought it could be a fuel pressure problem..... thats very interesting. I'll have to install the fuel gauge I have sitting around, and check to make sure its still at the right psi.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I never thought it could be a fuel pressure problem..... thats very interesting. I'll have to install the fuel gauge I have sitting around, and check to make sure its still at the right psi.
I didn't think it would have been on the Jeep either. I had replaced the fuel injectors, figuring that one was stuck open or leaking (I had an extra set just laying around)...afterwards, for some reason I took the vacuum line off the FPR, cranked it, and watched the fuel blast out the end...fortunately, this didn't happen...:flamed:

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, its official I blew my motor. The #2 (I think) from the left has low compression. I also smell gas in the oil. I guess I'm screwed. The antifreeze is clean and the oil is good except for the gasoline. I guess it could be worse, it could have been a catastrophic effect.

When I did the compression test, from left to right I got 193 - 125 - 205 - 190

This tells me that I probably cracked a piston, or blew the rings. I think the cracked piston is more likely. It totally suck. I knew this was a posability when I turned up the boost. And it didnt' happen suddenly. It was still running when I pulled into my driveway. I guess it had enough compression to run, just not start after everything cooled down. I do have a spare block, so I'll just go ahead and build it up and swap it in with the built up head. OH well.... shit happens when you run too much psi on a stock motor.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
So, its official I blew my motor. The #2 (I think) from the left has low compression. I also smell gas in the oil. I guess I'm screwed. The antifreeze is clean and the oil is good except for the gasoline. I guess it could be worse, it could have been a catastrophic effect.

When I did the compression test, from left to right I got 193 - 125 - 205 - 190

This tells me that I probably cracked a piston, or blew the rings. I think the cracked piston is more likely. It totally suck. I knew this was a posability when I turned up the boost. And it didnt' happen suddenly. It was still running when I pulled into my driveway. I guess it had enough compression to run, just not start after everything cooled down. I do have a spare block, so I'll just go ahead and build it up and swap it in with the built up head. OH well.... shit happens when you run too much psi on a stock motor.
Damn...that sucks...when you're done, if the block itself is still good, I'm still interested in it...:bigthumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts