Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

WTB: 3.0 Fed Spec Y-Pipe

418 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  mrmessma 
#1 ·
I have a 5sp 2000 GT Fed Spec and both the flex pipes are rotting out, getting noxious fumes in the cabin if I forget to turn recirc on, even then a little comes in.

Shops don't want to work on it because it's pretty corroded and is now thin pipe. The only replacement parts online I can find are Cali Spec. Looking to buy a Fed spec in good condition.

If there is a better option out there, let me know. If I buy a Cali Spec then I have to get flanged spacers to reach the manifolds and need 2 O2 Bungs put on, as well as a new cat-back (or modify the stock) as the stock fed spec cat back doesn't fit a Cali y-pipe.

First post, I tried to read the "Before You Post" section, done about 8 hr reading on the subject, let me know if I'm missing an easier/better solution. I'm in in Fort Wayne, IN. Thanks guys.

#3 ·
Was that a 3.0L with 2 flex pipes that he did for $250? First place I took it to quoted $350 for both which seemed a bit high. Thanks, for $100 it's worth the 30 min drive. I'm going to try calling another few places and see if they can ball park me their price for 2 flex pipes over the phone, probably wishful thinking. If nothing works here, Decatur isn't a bad trip. Thanks.

#8 ·
I'm going to use MitsuBoy38's. I'm considering using VHT paint. Can that be used on the flex pipes to further prevent corrosion or will it not make any difference? I'm guessing it won't make any difference, but I feel like any coating could help. I'm not planning on having the car more than another year or two but want it in good shape for the next 3G owner.

Being from FL, the flex pipe looks in good shape. Think sanding and painting is worth the time or just put it on and stop exhaust going into my cabin ASAP.

I've googled painting the flex pipe and found exactly nothing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.