Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently bought an 01 Spyder for $3000 just as a weekend convertible. I've been looking around hard for a top boot cover. It will always be stored indoors so I plan to just leave the top down. Been to a couple pick n pulls hoping to find one in the trunk, no luck. There's just not many convertibles around here. Seen a couple on ebay for (seems to me) an outrageous amount. Anyone out there want to part with theirs for a good price? Figured there's some that would never ever use it. I'm one who would probably use it exclusively. Thanks!

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
571 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks yea I had saved that one and another one on eBay. I have a search agent setup. It's just hard for me to justify those prices when I see new ones for mustangs around that era for $89. I shouldn't say this was my last resort but I'm pretty internet search savvy. I've even done the All-of-Craigslist thing and just haven't found any - decided to turn to other owners!

And yes I have car cover. Summer months the top will probably remain down.

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
571 Posts
The reason for the high price is because they don`t make these any more and if you do find one you should grab it up..

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
571 Posts
I see in the picture you posted there are a few cracks in your dash.. A supper easy fix is the dash cap from Rockauto.com.. It`s made from ABS plastic and very easy to install . I heated up a butter knife with a propane torch and melted the cracks back together , sanded it down so it was even and then applied the adhesive ...So easy to do ...This is the results ...you can`t even tell ...
Car Speedometer Vehicle Steering part Motor vehicle

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually scored a dash from pick n pull. Cost me $98. Got all the radio and glovebox trim pieces too. It had one crack going down the middle that I'll repair but yea mine is all busted up. You can reach in and pull pieces out and it's got broken mounts on each side so it doesn't even really stay in place. You can pretty much pull it out from the driver's seat.

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
571 Posts
I guess your dash is not worth saving if it`s in that bad of shape.. Must have been sitting in direct sunlight to be that bad. I wish you the best of luck when it comes time to change it out.. This post may help you............

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks man I haven't noticed any delays in acceleration but I'll keep that in mind. I honestly haven't driven it much yet. I've got the whole interior gutted and in the paint shop.

And also, I got a top boot! Another owner had one collecting dust he never used at all. Gave me a hellova deal!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congrats on the boot. How'd you find a seller?
Started searching for more 3Gs for sale or parting out on Facebook and reached out to everyone that had a convertible. Most didn't respond or know what I was talking about but One guy said his was still folded up never used. He had kinda forgot about it. Offered it to me cheap, he didn't care. At first he thought I was local. He adamantly didn't want to ship. It was a 5 hour drive so I offered to go to him. Got it today! (y)

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
571 Posts
Now that`s what you call a die hard 3G Man .. 5 hours on the road......gee ... what dedication .. Lets see a picture of your find brother...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now that`s what you call a die hard 3G Man .. 5 hours on the road......gee ... what dedication .. Lets see a picture of your find brother...
Lol. My wife would tell you 5hrs ain't nothin... I have a car hauler and have driven full days worth to pick up a good deal vehicle, or a motorcycle, or a certain, often too big or heavy to ship, part. It's pretty normal. Usually not that far but I'm willing to drive to get something I want. We just turn it into weekend getaway road trips :). If it's a place we've never been she'll look up places to eat or things to do.

Honestly, it just worked out and I was eager to get it. I've had several vehicles throughout the years but never a convertible. Dad had a '67 mustang convertible he got rid of when I was a baby. He's getting old and I'd like to take him on some winding roads top-down. I'll post pics when we get home!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And actually Widgmaster I took your advise on the dash and ordered one of those coverlays. My dash was broke all over. The mounts on both front sides were broke off so it just shook and rattled like crazy, and the one from pick n pull has a big crack that I repaired and started to sand down but I could tell how brittle it was and said "Heck with it I'll just cover it". Ordered it yesterday!

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
571 Posts
Awesome dude.... wish my old man was still around.. he would just love my Spyder ..Your wife sounds like a cool person... Right now... pull over and tell her how much you love her ..

·
Registered
7 Posts
I should have said .. don`t leave your top down when storing your car... If it is inside most of the time you should get yourself a light cover to keep the dust out...

I am curious. I have a 2004 Spyder GTS and need a boot for the top as well. Where do you store it when you have the top up on the car?

The trunk is so small. Is there a special place or what?

Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am curious. I have a 2004 Spyder GTS and need a boot for the top as well. Where do you store it when you have the top up on the car?

The trunk is so small. Is there a special place or what?

Thanks

Joe
it folds up and stores in the trunk without taking much space

1 - 18 of 18 Posts